Re gear and 3" lift opinions

BigWillysStyle

In the next year I'm going to lift my JK and upgrade tires. I have decided on 35" KO2 tires and the Eco enforcer 3" lift kit. Is this a combo that I can run without cutting or swapping stock fenders or would the 4" kit be a better choice? What would be optimum gearing for my JK (2015 6speed)? I was thinking 4.10s as this is still my daily driver/ weekend warrior but need some real world opinions on the gearing. My only experience turning over 35s was with a 3.73 gear set and a grossly overpowered small block Chevy.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The 3 inch will give you enough room to run 35s and full fender flares.

I would regear to 4.56s or 4.88s instead as going from 3.73s to 4.10s would be minimal gain for the cost. Lift it and get the 35s and then see how you like it. Then regear.

Bleached

I have a 2012 JKU with a 6 speed. Im running a 3.5" lift and 35's (toyo open country) on 18's. Its a Rubicon so it came stock with 4.10s. I plan on probably re-gearing to 4.88s to get it a bit more oomph. I drove from Austin, TX to El Paso and it felt very slow and I never used 6th most of the time cause I couldn't keep up with traffic.

Hope the opinion helps.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
2.5" clears the stock fenders and allows for articulation. You'll be fine with the 3" Enforcer.

I wouldn't waist your money going from 3.73 to 4.10, you probably would notice a difference. I went from 3.73 to 4.88 and lost maybe 1 mpg. Currently getting 16 mpg on a good day.

swampdog

I am running a 2.5" coil lift and 35" KO2's. You can run stock fenders with proper length bump stops no problem. I would NOT got with a 4" kit for 35" tires. When you add the larger tires, your lower air damn will rub the wheels at full turn, but rip that thing off as it is an eye sore anyways.

As for gearing, if you are sure you are going to stop at 35" a 4.56 seems like it would fit your scenario well. I plan on going to 37" at some point so I will be gearing to 4.88 and saving money waiting for the front D30 to blow to upgrade to a PR.

swampdog

I have a 2012 JKU with a 6 speed. Im running a 3.5" lift and 35's (toyo open country) on 18's. Its a Rubicon so it came stock with 4.10s. I plan on probably re-gearing to 4.88s to get it a bit more oomph. I drove from Austin, TX to El Paso and it felt very slow and I never used 6th most of the time cause I couldn't keep up with traffic.

Hope the opinion helps.

I'm running a very similar lift / wheel package with 6 sp. and 3.21 gears....you don't know sluggish

swampdog

I am so sorry. Its my first jeep and compared to my other 2 vehicle it seems sluggish.

No need to be sorry...I'm coming from 3 different 5.7L Tundras so right now I'm in a world of hurt. It will all change in March when I regear.

chipper

I run the 3" enforcer with 35" tires on my JKU. With stock uncut fenders. Plenty of room no rubbing and looks good. I also have 373 gears with an auto. It's not that bad for me here in FL. (Flat). But it does search for gears every now and then. If you have a 2 door, I think the 3" would be best

BigWillysStyle

Great, sounds like I have eyed out a popular and effective lift/tire combo. I think I'll steer away from 4.10s and look into 4.56/4.88 when I build up a D44. Thanks for the insight

WJCO

Meme King
Great, sounds like I have eyed out a popular and effective lift/tire combo. I think I'll steer away from 4.10s and look into 4.56/4.88 when I build up a D44. Thanks for the insight

You'll be very happy with that decision. Re-gearing is expensive. Don't want to do it more than once.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug

Hope the opinion helps.
When you said it was to slow do you mean before or after you re geared to the 4.88's?

Bleached

When you said it was to slow do you mean before or after you re geared to the 4.88's?

I haven't re-geared yet, I am planning it cause it just seems like its under powered. It might be fine, but I want more get up and go and to get it closer to how it would have been stock.

Top Bottom