To buy a K&N drop in filter or not

I own a 2013 JK 2dr Wrangler. It's 95% daily driver and 5% off-road. About half my off-road time is dusty dirt trails and fine clay dust. I have a feeling the oil based filter will tend to attract more dust than sticking with a dry replacement filter. Does anyone have any experience with this and recommendations?

LasVegasJK

I have a K&N that I use on street, and keep a couple WIX filters that I install before I wheel. It only takes 3 minutes to change, so not a big deal.

JeepFan

Hooked
With the amount of off roading you'll be doing you should be fine with the factory filter.

If you do a lot of off roading in dusty environments the k&n might save you some money long term because you can wash and recharge the filter.

Stone_JKUR

I have the 77 series K&N cold air intake. I'd get it. The also sell these things that are basically socks for the intake to keep out dust and stuff

Coop

Caught the Bug
I have the 77 series K&N cold air intake. I'd get it. The also sell these things that are basically socks for the intake to keep out dust and stuff

Is this mounted high enough to keep water out on stream crossings? Your thoughts?

Lil Nasty

I went from a banks intake to a factory with a K&N drop in to a complete factory with factory filter. I got rid of the banks due to the excess noise. Got rid of the K&N for peace of mind with oil consumption. Seen on a diesel forum where they tested all the popular filters on a flow computer and the factory did the best filtering job and flowed enough for 600-800 HP.

toxicwaste29

I have a washable non oil aem. I shy away from k&n because although they have more air flow they also let more particles through.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
K&N oil based filters were designed to efficiently collect the dust that enters the filter housing. They do a surprisingly good job even when they appear to be completely blocked. The pleated design has lots of surface area and they will hang in there in the worst of conditions. I used them exclusively back in my desert racing days and they never let me down. They're on both my JK and Comanche. If you decide to go with the K&N my advice is properly oil it, install it and run it every day. Good luck!:thumb:

Stone_JKUR

Is this mounted high enough to keep water out on stream crossings? Your thoughts?

It's about the same as the factory intake, so if you're looking at a lot of water crossings, you just have to be mindful of it, and be careful

I've used a k&n filter on my modded banshee for years without issue and i mostly run it in the sand at the dunes. My advice for anyone with a k&n filter is to get an outerwear for it for double protection. There is no better combo out the today than a k&n with an outerwear for off road use as well as protection against the elements.

http://www.outerwears.com/products.asp?cat=11683&pg=9 Is a link to their site.

JWCA

I've used a K&N with the factory air box. Other than a jump of 2 mpg, I have had no adverse affects. I had someone caution me on how much oil I put on the K&N because it could adversely affect the MAF. Spend a few minutes on K&N website and you can make your own decision on whether or not that is BS. Like Linebacker I too used K&N on my desert racing machines with 100% reliability.

TLC Offroad

I just tested a K&N on one of My Pony Motors, We run in a extremely dusty environment the motor runs a Safety Filter and the one thing I found out is the K&N lets a lot more Dust in then the paper element and I mean way more. Now I upped the amount of oil on the filter and it cut back the amount going though it, but the paper still filtered better. The safety filter is white so it shows Me just what is going through the main filter, air flow is much better on the K&N, but Be Wary of Extra DUST in real dusty environments just My take on K&N from our use in heavy equipment. Now we do rev our motors for power to run the equipment so maybe it just from drawing more air volume in, for the street I'm sure it would work great.

I just tested a K&N on one of My Pony Motors, We run in a extremely dusty environment the motor runs a Safety Filter and the one thing I found out is the K&N lets a lot more Dust in then the paper element and I mean way more. Now I upped the amount of oil on the filter and it cut back the amount going though it, but the paper still filtered better. The safety filter is white so it shows Me just what is going through the main filter, air flow is much better on the K&N, but Be Wary of Extra DUST in real dusty environments just My take on K&N from our use in heavy equipment. Now we do rev our motors for power to run the equipment so maybe it just from drawing more air volume in, for the street I'm sure it would work great.

Which is exactly why I said to use with an outerwear. For those that don't know what these are, please look at the link i posted. An outerwear is a filter sock that slips over the k&n. It is waterproof and is particle tested to .005 microns. Its a very cheap investment to ensure a long life for your filter and motor. Again i have used these for years on my quads in the harshest environments imaginable (sand,dust,dirt) and after 10 years am still using the same k&n filters on my bikes.

TLC Offroad

Which is exactly why I said to use with an outerwear. For those that don't know what these are, please look at the link i posted. An outerwear is a filter sock that slips over the k&n. It is waterproof and is particle tested to .005 microns. Its a very cheap investment to ensure a long life for your filter and motor. Again i have used these for years on my quads in the harshest environments imaginable (sand,dust,dirt) and after 10 years am still using the same k&n filters on my bikes.

I have used them on my Quads & Bikes. All I can say is if you run a K&N use a Sock because MY Safety Filters don't Lie the filter itself leaks dirt.

aldaman

I have an AFE dry drop in filter. Purchased that because it is reusable / washable...That can be another option rather than an oiled filter...

Jeepnoub

My experience with k&n type filters on motorcycles, is they're a waste of money. We would mess around on the dyno, and they never gave more power, and the air fuel ratio differences were negligible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom