PDA

View Full Version : 2007 diesel build or 2016 brand new?

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 03:48 AM
So I'm not yet a proud jeep owner yet. It's only taken 7 years of marriage to talk my husband into it. Sooo my options are:
1. Buy a 2007-2008 jk rubicon 4dr for $16-$17k then dump a 4bt cummins in it. 37in tires. Not super concerned about the Nevada DMV bs. I can change my address to my moms and claim seasonal residency.
The kit for misc parts is around $7000, engine and trans $5000 range. Husband will do the install. He's a diesel fan big time and has torn our f250 apart and rebuilt the heads. And replaced the transmission. Currently he's in the garage and has the motor of our xterra completely apart. Pretty good mechanic for an electrician.

Or option 2. Just buy a new jk rubicon with lifetime warranty and call it a day.

Honestly I like the last of electronics in the few 2007s better. Simple is better to me, less to go wrong.

I don't want a huge rock crawler, just enough to get us off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while my kids are little.

The price point is about the same both ways. The 2007 might be a little less $ but a ton more work.

Thanks in advance

Evil
01-20-2016, 03:54 AM
Its only money. welcome to WAL. Id go with the 07 diesel personally.

Heavyhaul07
01-20-2016, 04:29 AM
If you have the cash. 07.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the welcome evil! I like the way you guys think. My thoughts are 1.i love keeps 2.i love diesels and 3. It works out as $45000+/- either way.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 04:44 AM
Jeeps ** thanks smartphone.

OverlanderJK
01-20-2016, 04:46 AM
Why do you need a diesel? I'm confused.

Wethy
01-20-2016, 04:49 AM

Why not is the better question ha ha I wouldn't mind havin a 4BT Cummins or a 3.8ISF Cummins under the hood torque and mpgs for days but the amount of money and time required to make that work would be crazy!

OverlanderJK
01-20-2016, 04:57 AM
Why not is the better question ha ha I wouldn't mind havin a 4BT Cummins or a 3.8ISF Cummins under the hood torque and mpgs for days but the amount of money and time required to make that work would be crazy!

Not really a better question.

spinuck
01-20-2016, 05:14 AM
If you go the new route and plan on doing 37s, etc, skip the lifetime warranty.

wayoflife
01-20-2016, 05:44 AM

Kind of what I was thinking. Guess it wasn't just me :crazyeyes:

jeeeep
01-20-2016, 07:25 AM
So I'm not yet a proud jeep owner yet. It's only taken 7 years of marriage to talk my husband into it. Sooo my options are:
1. Buy a 2007-2008 jk rubicon 4dr for $16-$17k then dump a 4bt cummins in it. 37in tires. Not super concerned about the Nevada DMV bs. I can change my address to my moms and claim seasonal residency.
The kit for misc parts is around $7000, engine and trans $5000 range. Husband will do the install. He's a diesel fan big time and has torn our f250 apart and rebuilt the heads. And replaced the transmission. Currently he's in the garage and has the motor of our xterra completely apart. Pretty good mechanic for an electrician.

Or option 2. Just buy a new jk rubicon with lifetime warranty and call it a day.

Honestly I like the last of electronics in the few 2007s better. Simple is better to me, less to go wrong.

I don't want a huge rock crawler, just enough to get us off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while my kids are little.

The price point is about the same both ways. The 2007 might be a little less $ but a ton more work.

Thanks in advance

while the diesel option would give you the torque and mileage, it will take time to get everything running properly and you also want to consider the drive train condition/upgrades to handle the additional torque.

With a new Rubicon, you're on the road/trail immediately and will likely make you want to drive it/enjoy it more since it'll just flat out be more comfortable (while your kids are little lol). The 3.6 has good power, I have to say the automatic transmission with tap shift makes it easy to get the best of both worlds (manual/automatic).

With both you'll need to make the additional investment to get the suspension/gearing/drive shafts to handle 37's, possibly steering box for the '07-'08. I suspect the true additional costs of buying an older Jeep would outweigh the cost of a new Rubi you can pack and go right off the lot.

Good luck! :thumb:

Blazindevl
01-20-2016, 07:46 AM
Kind of what I was thinking. Guess it wasn't just me :crazyeyes:

Eddie, one could ask you the same thing about your V8... Always wanting more isn't a bad thing is it? ;)

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 08:01 AM
I don't intend on serious trails since we will always have our 3 littles with and I'd like to be able to tow a small/medium trailer without having to bring our truck everywhere. Maybe the new one is a better option since it'll be legal without having to drive across country to register it. Drive n go.

If I did go gas, realistically how large of a trailer can I expect to pull with it?

BlackHawk08jk
01-20-2016, 10:59 AM

I think it's not a matter of needing it. It's more like a matter of wanting it.

BlackHawk08jk
01-20-2016, 11:04 AM
Eddie, one could ask you the same thing about your V8... Always wanting more isn't a bad thing is it? ;)

Yea more is better, but Eddie put a light weight high hp gas engine. The diesel not light weight and with that kinda torque you need to beef a lot of components up. Diesel fuel will also always be more expensive then gas as well. I think that's kinda what they are thinking

13_gecko_rubi
01-20-2016, 11:04 AM
I don't intend on serious trails since we will always have our 3 littles with and I'd like to be able to tow a small/medium trailer without having to bring our truck everywhere. Maybe the new one is a better option since it'll be legal without having to drive across country to register it. Drive n go.

If I did go gas, realistically how large of a trailer can I expect to pull with it?

With either option if you buy a 4 door the max trailer size would be 3500 lbs if you want to stay legal.

They will pull more but heaven forbid you get in an accident the liability you could be on the hook for isn't worth it. Use you husbands f250 for towing more.

JK_Dave
01-20-2016, 11:17 AM
I'd go talk to forum member Thegreenmachine12 about his 3.8ISF build - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32644-Cummins-Turbo-Diesel-swapped-2012-JKU-build. I'm sure he'll have some feedback for you about any issues he's had.

My personal opinion would be to go with the '07 and swap in the diesel as well.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Oh 3500 isn't too bad. It leaves quite a few options. Jeep top tents, pop ups, ultralights. All we need is a place to sleep. I'd prefer no canvas sides. Bears really freak me out and we camp around bears.

I'd rather leave the truck at home. It only gets 8mpg!! You know it's bad when you see what jeeps get and think that it's amazing.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Yea more is better, but Eddie put a light weight high hp gas engine. The diesel not light weight and with that kinda torque you need to beef a lot of components up. Diesel fuel will also always be more expensive then gas as well. I think that's kinda what they are thinking

Diesel is about the same as gas where we live. I paid $1.99 a gal last week. Although it sucked when it was over $4 a gallon. Took $100 to fill up vs the $45 last week. But with the extra mpg and longer lasting motor it somewhat works out.
As far as the install aspects you have to change out a bunch of parts.
As much as we would love a diesel one. It probably is just too much headache.

BlackHawk08jk
01-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Diesel is about the same as gas where we live. I paid $1.99 a gal last week. Although it sucked when it was over $4 a gallon. Took $100 to fill up vs the $45 last week. But with the extra mpg and longer lasting motor it somewhat works out.
As far as the install aspects you have to change out a bunch of parts.
As much as we would love a diesel one. It probably is just too much headache.

Don't get me wrong I love diesels. I had an 02 cummins. I would love another diesel but I would just go buy a truck if that was the route I was going.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 11:53 AM
But you can't take the tops off of trucks. Well you can but its just not as fun! How quick are the jk motors? I drove a 98 for a little bit when I was between vehicles and that thing was terrible. 5mpgs and I'd have to down shift to 3rd to not stall out going up a hill. Max speed uphill was 40.

13_gecko_rubi
01-20-2016, 01:24 PM
But you can't take the tops off of trucks. Well you can but its just not as fun! How quick are the jk motors? I drove a 98 for a little bit when I was between vehicles and that thing was terrible. 5mpgs and I'd have to down shift to 3rd to not stall out going up a hill. Max speed uphill was 40.

If properly geared they are just fine. The 3.6 in the 12+ is puch better than the 3.8 in the older ones.

JeepFan
01-20-2016, 01:27 PM
How tolerable is the diesel exhaust smell on the trail? :thinking:

OverlanderJK
01-20-2016, 01:29 PM

Clearly you've never driven a jeep with a V8. I have and I've rode in others. It should have come like that from the factory. The factory motors just don't have the power for 40's and one ton axles.

lidless07X
01-20-2016, 01:39 PM
A completely stock JK is more than "enough to get you off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while your kids are little".

Searching for the right '07,sourcing the parts, doing all the work, and ironing out all the bugs will cost you precious time out on the trails with your kids.

Go out today and buy your JK.

Bingobelle
01-20-2016, 03:33 PM
I live in Sweden so here we can choose between the diesel option and the 3.6 petrol engine.

I choosed the petrol over the disel because:

1: the petrol versions is cheaper.

2: But to me cheaper price is not important, what is important to me is how much more quiet and less smelly the petrol is. I think it really must be awfull to drive around with no door and roof and hear that disgusting oilburner and the smell from it on a beutifull trail with wonderfull scenery. It also spread its awfull noise in the cabin when roof and doors are on.

My dad has a jeep liberty 2007 ( called cherokee in sweden becaise no one here knowed what a jeep liberty was back then ) and I can tell you that my wrangler is much much more pleasant to drive, especially when it comes to noise.

Personaly I do not think that a big cumming disel is better in those aspects than the 2,8 crd disel that are used in the wrangler and liberty over here.

Last Ive never understood whats wrong with the power of the 3,6 pentastar. With the low gear Ive never ever felt any lack of power whats so ever. At least with stock or near stock tire.

In sweden the rubicon with the pentastar is alowed to tow 7000 pound. My Saharah is alowed to tow 4500 pound. The low number in the states must be a papperproduct because of fear of lawsuit.

wayoflife
01-20-2016, 04:26 PM

One could ask but a v8 and a diesel are far from being an apples to apples comparison. Of course, that's just my opinion and clearly, we all have our own ideas of what "more" is.

How tolerable is the diesel exhaust smell on the trail? :thinking:

Trust me, it sucks or should I say, it stinks! :icon_crazy:

Clearly you've never driven a jeep with a V8. I have and I've rode in others. It should have come like that from the factory. The factory motors just don't have the power for 40's and one ton axles.

This ^^^

Blazindevl
01-20-2016, 06:29 PM

You're supposed to be the resident smartass... I figured at least you would know when someone's busting balls!;)

On a serious note, yes I have ridden in (and driven) v8 jeeps. A friend of mine was doing hemi swaps back in the day at a dealership across town and I was able to try a couple out. Yes they are fun, yes they are more powerful, I'm not knocking them in any way and more power to those that have them.

I will say that diesel is the future and you might want to embrace this because it's coming and once they are here you will wonder why you ever questioned them. Just to preface this so you don't think I'm biased... I love v8's and I love power. I'm currently building a one off coyote foxbody turbo that will be capable of 1000hp so I get it.

Having said that a diesel is a better option for the jeep in almost every way which is why Chrysler is going to eventually put them in wranglers and not v8's. By the way wranglers overseas already have them! They get better fuel economy. Wranglers in Europe w/diesels get almost 30mpg. They are lighter which has obvious benefits for off roading. They make gobs of torque, something that someone with big tires would appreciate. Lastly, modding them results in much bigger gains in usable areas than gas. Ever driven a 1ton diesel with 1000 ft/lbs? If you would have you'd know.

I understand it's not familiar just like 4door jk's weren't when they came out but look at them now. All I'm saying is to have an open mind because contrary to what "you" think... Chrysler will never make a v8 wrangler, it's not gonna happen.

To the OP, my advice would be to wait on the diesel swap. Although unconfirmed, its a very good chance that Chrysler will release a diesel wrangler in America in 2018. I would just buy one then and save yourself a bunch of money. Good luck!

Blazindevl
01-20-2016, 06:38 PM
Oh almost forgot as to the "smell." The newer diesels with all of the emissions and additives smell nothing like the diesels of old that many relate to.

WJCO
01-20-2016, 06:44 PM

Thanks in advance

A completely stock JK is more than "enough to get you off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while your kids are little".

Searching for the right '07,sourcing the parts, doing all the work, and ironing out all the bugs will cost you precious time out on the trails with your kids.

Go out today and buy your JK.

I'm gonna be an odd man out here too and say go with the new Jeep. You said it took you 7 years to talk your husband into it, you have young kids, etc. Time is ticking. If you really want to get out on the trail with the family, buy the ready-made Jeep with a warranty and have fun. If you do the diesel swap, no matter what the advantages are, your husband could spend tons of time in the garage doing and running in to snags while you're waiting to get out and have fun with the Jeep. I would do the new Jeep from a time sensitive/practical purchase. Projects are great, but they can suffer a lot of down time.

wayoflife
01-20-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna be the odd man out here and say go with the new Jeep. You said it took you 7 years to talk your husband into it, you have young kids, etc. Time is ticking. If you really want to get out on the trail with the family, buy the ready-made Jeep with a warranty and have fun. If you do the diesel swap, no matter what the advantages are, your husband could spend tons of time in the garage doing and running in to snags while you're waiting to get out and have fun with the Jeep. I would do the new Jeep from a time sensitive/practical purchase. Projects are great, but they can suffer a lot of down time.

Wow, well said. Sounds advice and one that I couldn't agree with more.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 07:49 PM
The smell is almost nonexistent on our diesel without a cat. But I do think the noise would drive me a little crazy since the front doors will be off most of the time, we're in Vegas so the doors wouldn't be needed. I'm really glad I asked this question. Love having all the points made from different perspectives.

Thanks you guys! :)

I'm going for a new one! Is there any way to find out what colors are going to be offered for 2017? I'm not liking the colors offered for 2016 or even 2015. Well besides white. And I will not own another black vehicles, the water spots here are horrible.

Blazindevl
01-20-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm going for a new one! Is there any way to find out what colors are going to be offered for 2017? I'm not liking the colors offered for 2016 or even 2015. Well besides white. And I will not own another black vehicles, the water spots here are horrible.

Dealerships will be able to place orders for 2017's mid summer so you'd be able to get a definitive answer to that then. They will most likely be the same though with one or two new choices possible.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-20-2016, 09:06 PM
White it is then :)

Wethy
01-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Not really a better question.

Ha ha I suppose that's a fair statement. Maybe the OP just really wanted to get creative
I do see the op has chosen to buy new though

Goldeneagle1LC
01-21-2016, 12:49 AM
Wow, well said. Sounds advice and one that I couldn't agree with more.

I'm a diesel guy and I say this is great advice. Plus when you wear the new one out you can drop a diesel in it then.

kyle521
01-21-2016, 01:14 AM
Havent read through, but why you looking to spend 15k on a jk that you will strip down. I see high mileage jks around me going for around 10k

Notsodirtyhippie
01-21-2016, 02:34 AM
Havent read through, but why you looking to spend 15k on a jk that you will strip down. I see high mileage jks around me going for around 10k

The cheapest one around here is maybe $14500, and that's on a good day. For whatever reason they hold their value really good in this area.

If we don't get new we'll get lightly used. If there is such a thing. The more we think about it the less the warranty is a must. My hubs is pretty mechanically inclined and right now has our xterra broke down all the way to heads. So dealing with the dealership for fixes just seems like a pain in the butt.

If we go used, what years should we avoid? I made the mistake of looking up complaints on the nhtsc?

kyle521
01-21-2016, 02:46 AM
The cheapest one around here is maybe $14500, and that's on a good day. For whatever reason they hold their value really good in this area.

If we don't get new we'll get lightly used. If there is such a thing. The more we think about it the less the warranty is a must. My hubs is pretty mechanically inclined and right now has our xterra broke down all the way to heads. So dealing with the dealership for fixes just seems like a pain in the butt.

If we go used, what years should we avoid? I made the mistake of looking up complaints on the nhtsc?

You could always look elsewhere and shipping it, especially if it means saving around $4-5000.

As far as years to avoid, I have an 07 and havent had any issues that other years don't have, and havent heard of anything specific to certain year wranglers, meaning jks

Blazindevl
01-21-2016, 04:01 AM
You could always look elsewhere and shipping it, especially if it means saving around $4-5000.

This is definitely a viable option, just make sure you go look at it first. Buying an inexpensive used car sight unseen usually spells disaster but you probably already knew that!

Notsodirtyhippie
01-21-2016, 04:48 AM
I'd be ok with it if I knew for certain it's ok. It's not necessarily about money. I have $45k budgeted, I'm just not sure I want to spend that much or save a little and personalize it. Jeep Wrangler has been my dream car for 20 years so I have a long list of things I need to do to it. I mean my husband has to do to it. [emoji23]

Pyro1415
01-21-2016, 08:39 AM
I'd be ok with it if I knew for certain it's ok. It's not necessarily about money. I have $45k budgeted, I'm just not sure I want to spend that much or save a little and personalize it. Jeep Wrangler has been my dream car for 20 years so I have a long list of things I need to do to it. I mean my husband has to do to it. [emoji23]

New hard top slightly equipped rubicons can be had for mid to upper 30s if your willing to drive. I wouldn't buy a slightly used one because they generally sell for the same as a new one from a high volume dealer. On auto trader a few months ago I found several JKUR with powered Windows and a few features for 35k.

Also if I could get the factory diesel jk I would in a heart beat over gas. I've seen them work in Germany and they're fantastic. But doing an engine swap I would go ls all day.

Best of luck.

james2003w
01-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Before you buy new and get a lifetime warranty, consider what you will have modified on the vehicle. The reason I say this is because there have been far too many owners getting shafted for performing a mod (lift, or something) and being rejected for warranty work. Granted the magnuson moss act states they have to prove it, and so does the policy that the dealerships are to follow. But just really think long and heavy on getting any warranty, especially if you're getting a Wrangler you're going to mod.

If you buy one, I would suggest a Rubicon or the Hard Rock model and 2012+ (one with the 3.6L). I've driven both the 3.8L and 3.6L, as I believe most people here have. Hands down if I were to re buy my first Jeep I would have bought one with the 3.6L under it. I did run my 3.8L to 160k with very little issues mechanically (water pump, starter, alternator were replaced at 140k).

Wranglers from my understanding have a very high resale value in general, higher than most vehicles.

Blazindevl
01-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Wranglers from my understanding have a very high resale value in general, higher than most vehicles.

This is so true... Bought a new 2012 Rubicon for $37,000, drove it for two years and put 25k miles on it then sold it for $33,500. Any other car and I would have lost thousands!

james2003w
01-21-2016, 06:53 PM
This is so true... Bought a new 2012 Rubicon for $37,000, drove it for two years and put 25k miles on it then sold it for $33,500. Any other car and I would have lost thousands!
Bought a 2008 JKU Sahara fully loaded (everything but heated seats) with 15k miles for $22k... put a 3" Fabtech lift on it, traded it into the dealer with 160k miles and got almost $18k for it (I think they really wanted to sell me my '15). -- Mind you when this 2008 was new it was originally sold for around $28-30k (paperwork was left in the owners manual when I bought it)

Just another example for the OP that a "slightly used one" one may run almost the same price as a new one. With the new one you have piece of mind that everything is going to work, and you do have the default 3yr/** mile warranty or whatever it may be for the area. And if you're going to mod it, that lifetime warranty would really need to be thought about.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-23-2016, 05:17 AM
New hard top slightly equipped rubicons can be had for mid to upper 30s if your willing to drive. I wouldn't buy a slightly used one because they generally sell for the same as a new one from a high volume dealer. On auto trader a few months ago I found several JKUR with powered Windows and a few features for 35k.

Also if I could get the factory diesel jk I would in a heart beat over gas. I've seen them work in Germany and they're fantastic. But doing an engine swap I would go ls all day.

Best of luck.

Thanks for you input!

So my "wish list" is
Soft top/ or don't care top. I'm in Vegas, warm winters/low rain. And a garage that doesn't need more stuff hanging around.
Manual trans
No navigation and as low tech as possible. I don't care what my tire psi is sitting at or any of the other bells n whistles. I've made it this long in my life without having my hand virtually held, I can go longer.
Power windows but that's not a must either since I want half doors on the front and it'll keep my kids from messing with the windows. They've never hand cranked a window before! hahahah.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-23-2016, 05:20 AM
Before you buy new and get a lifetime warranty, consider what you will have modified on the vehicle. The reason I say this is because there have been far too many owners getting shafted for performing a mod (lift, or something) and being rejected for warranty work. Granted the magnuson moss act states they have to prove it, and so does the policy that the dealerships are to follow. But just really think long and heavy on getting any warranty, especially if you're getting a Wrangler you're going to mod.

If you buy one, I would suggest a Rubicon or the Hard Rock model and 2012+ (one with the 3.6L). I've driven both the 3.8L and 3.6L, as I believe most people here have. Hands down if I were to re buy my first Jeep I would have bought one with the 3.6L under it. I did run my 3.8L to 160k with very little issues mechanically (water pump, starter, alternator were replaced at 140k).

I talked to my husband about the warranty and he's agreed that while it sounded nice to not have to mess with it, that we don't want it. I hate dealerships. Avoid them thanks to some bad experiences. We will do the work of we need it. Seems like jeep is one of the last easy to work on vehicles.

jeeeep
01-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Thanks for you input!

So my "wish list" is
Soft top/ or don't care top. I'm in Vegas, warm winters/low rain. And a garage that doesn't need more stuff hanging around.
Manual trans
No navigation and as low tech as possible. I don't care what my tire psi is sitting at or any of the other bells n whistles. I've made it this long in my life without having my hand virtually held, I can go longer.
Power windows but that's not a must either since I want half doors on the front and it'll keep my kids from messing with the windows. They've never hand cranked a window before! hahahah.

Soft top is the stock option, what type of trailer do you plan to tow?

power windows are great, you can lock out the rear windows :thumb:

you should be able to find one without the nav unit, or get it removed. I had them remove the higher priced unit on my 2010 and replace it with a basic am/fm Sirius head unit. just make sure they give you proper credit for it they tried to slide in a $150 credit on mine lol - it ended up closer to $1200 credit

skip the tow option, it used to add 4.10 gears but now those are extra, your husband seems mechanically inclined so adding the tow hitch and transmission cooler should be easy enough. might want to price out buying vs dealer installed price (sometimes it is cheaper)

4.10 gears, if you choose the 4.10 gears they are extra but IMO worth the $695 if you plan to stick with stock form for awhile. if you plan on doing a gear swap for larger tires right away then skip the extra cost.

avoid the automatic temperature control add-on, it's a PITA and not worth the extra cost.

I like the remote start, it's nice on cold mornings but I like to use it on the hell hot Texas days to get the A/C going.

If you can find a base model with the few extras like the above, you'll be in the 40-43k range, dealers love to add their BS scotch guard (I think $6 a can? lol)

good luck :thumb:

Notsodirtyhippie
01-23-2016, 03:36 PM
$1200?! Jeeezzz. I did the build on the jeep website and skipped almost every option you mentioned. The tow assembly was like $500, found a stock one on eBay for $35. They were selling it because they got new bumpers and it was useless to them. I think our plans have changed a little as far as towing with it. We're going to do some modifications to our truck and see if we can pinpoint why we're only getting 8mpg. Then using that to tow. So 2 vehicles for big trips but so worth it.

Automatic temp control? Too complicated. I like on/off and levels.

There are people out there that like ever schnazzy feature but I'm not like that. I just see it as something else to break or annoy me. Although I would like seat warmers. That's a handy feature.

Goldeneagle1LC
01-23-2016, 05:31 PM
If your 250 is newer it's the diesel exhaust nonsense that's killing your mileage.

Pursesnatcher
01-23-2016, 07:43 PM
It may be in your best interest to find a 2013+ JK Sport S with low mileage for $26.5-$30k. Judging by your responses about just wanting a super basic setup, not needing anything too fancy... it may be a great option. Then you can focus the difference ($8k-$12k) of what you would have spent on a brand new Rubicon in suspension, wheels, tires, performance parts (exhaust, re-gearing) and some exterior mods for the Sport S. I bet you'd be a whole lot happier and you'd still be able to 'build' your jk like you wanted to when you considered doing the diesel swap.

Honestly, you may be able to drop $3k on a nice budget boost/35in setup and be really happy with the performance. That could save ya from spending $8k + to do a 37in setup (the correct way).

Just my thoughts, based on your responses in the past few pages on this thread. Good luck!

Kickrocks
01-23-2016, 11:27 PM
The other option if you want new but cheap and your husband is mechanically inclined, look at the for sale section. There is a guy that is selling a 2012 rubicon for cheap.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33587-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-Theft-Recovery

You will have best of both worlds. Save vs buying new and have money to customize how you want.

Just an opinion.

windowlicker
01-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Not to doubt your decision, but... have you thought about importing a diesel from Europe? I love my diesel 6 speed JKU - 500 mile range and more torque than a Hemi. But I'm guessing it would fall foul of emissions regs in the States. Unless there's some sort of exemption for personal imports?

Notsodirtyhippie
01-26-2016, 07:51 AM
If your 250 is newer it's the diesel exhaust nonsense that's killing your mileage.

I think our problem could be injectors. It's a 6.0 and we've done the whole motor bulletproofing, some deletes and hallowed out the cat to stay visually legal. Still pass the sniff test fine.
We should have done the injectors then but they seemed fine. Then we had to get the tranny rebuilt. (I almost killed my husband installing it. I'm no longer allowed around jacks- oops) hopefully the weather stays chilled out so we can do that soon. I've tried getting him to sell that truck but he's bonded to it. It'll die in our possession.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-26-2016, 07:55 AM
It may be in your best interest to find a 2013+ JK Sport S with low mileage for $26.5-$30k. Judging by your responses about just wanting a super basic setup, not needing anything too fancy... it may be a great option. Then you can focus the difference ($8k-$12k) of what you would have spent on a brand new Rubicon in suspension, wheels, tires, performance parts (exhaust, re-gearing) and some exterior mods for the Sport S. I bet you'd be a whole lot happier and you'd still be able to 'build' your jk like you wanted to when you considered doing the diesel swap.

Honestly, you may be able to drop $3k on a nice budget boost/35in setup and be really happy with the performance. That could save ya from spending $8k + to do a 37in setup (the correct way).

Just my thoughts, based on your responses in the past few pages on this thread. Good luck!

I've been exploring those options as well. A month ago I knew I wanted a rubicon with a conservative lift and bigger tires. Now I have no idea! There's so many options. Are the Dana 44 worth the extra cost of the rubi or no? I don't see us putting in anything bigger like the 60+. And also gear ratio... Would I need to have my gears reworked to have 35s? We drive in the mountains, freeway and grocery getting city. Thanks!

Notsodirtyhippie
01-26-2016, 08:01 AM
Not to doubt your decision, but... have you thought about importing a diesel from Europe? I love my diesel 6 speed JKU - 500 mile range and more torque than a Hemi. But I'm guessing it would fall foul of emissions regs in the States. Unless there's some sort of exemption for personal imports?

Honestly, I didn't even know that was an option. I'm not sure how that would work with our local epa. They're pretty ticky about diesel swaps but factory they should be ok. We have a diesel truck that's modded to bypass the emissions stuff and it passes emissions better than our gas suv does.
Also aren't those built in Ohio as well? So it would ship overseas then have to come back? Hahaha. Ahhh gotta love American laws made by money. Pretty sure this is the only country that frowns upon diesels. Personally I love diesels. I drove a diesel Mercedes when I was a teen and that thing would go forever on $5 of diesel. Prices were also only $1 a gal then.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be looking into that.

Notsodirtyhippie
01-26-2016, 08:02 AM
The other option if you want new but cheap and your husband is mechanically inclined, look at the for sale section. There is a guy that is selling a 2012 rubicon for cheap.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33587-2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Rubicon-Theft-Recovery

You will have best of both worlds. Save vs buying new and have money to customize how you want.

Just an opinion.

That's a great idea! I could care less what the title says. [emoji6]

Mizippi
06-05-2016, 10:39 PM
I had a similar debt. Best advise I got was pic one, and get wheeling.

(I bought an 07 JKU 2wd w/ 185k miles for $7000. Installing - Hemi, 60s, atlas, Armour, etc.)

Work in progress:

Notsodirtyhippie
06-18-2016, 05:27 AM
I had a similar debt. Best advise I got was pic one, and get wheeling.

(I bought an 07 JKU 2wd w/ 185k miles for $7000. Installing - Hemi, 60s, atlas, Armour, etc.)

Work in progress:

That's an awesome deal! We ended up getting a 2015 sport that we'll build up and keep til it dies. After our road trip in it this weekend we're both wanting a hemi. 208798

Dalton gang
06-18-2016, 08:13 AM

Thanks in advance

Personally I'd go custom just because I could. If the hubby is a diesel guy , he'll yeah put a 5.9 in that thing and roll coal might even be cheaper if you rebuild it . If you go that route start a thread .I'd subscribe .

Rhameolution
06-18-2016, 11:49 AM
That's an awesome deal! We ended up getting a 2015 sport that we'll build up and keep til it dies. After our road trip in it this weekend we're both wanting a hemi. 208798

Awesome! Congrats on your Jeep! The sport is very capable, especially if you toss some air lockers on it!

Broke_JKowner
06-18-2016, 07:33 PM
I have a '14 Willy's Unlimited with a manual tranny regeared to 4.56 and 35's and it runs great everywhere I take it. I did install lockers front and rear during the regear. I would have to agree with not doing a swap just for the sake of time and headaches. Especially if you wanna get out on the trail with the fam. Granted my willys only has a dana 30 in the front it's more than sufficient while I'm gaining wheeling experience, plus once it goes I'll have an excuse to upgrade my axles. Just my 2 cents. oh and welcome to the jeep family :thumb:

Jeep2010
06-18-2016, 08:35 PM
I have a 2010 jk that I'm doing a 4bt swap in it pretty soon. I'm really excited about it and can't wait to get into the rebuild phase of it. It's cheaper for me to do the 4bt than to go to much of any V8. (If it was gas I wouldn't get a used one). I'd say go with the 07' and diesel. Better power, better gas mileage, more life in the motor, and much more simple. What more could you ask for?