2007 diesel build or 2016 brand new?

Notsodirtyhippie

So I'm not yet a proud jeep owner yet. It's only taken 7 years of marriage to talk my husband into it. Sooo my options are:
1. Buy a 2007-2008 jk rubicon 4dr for $16-$17k then dump a 4bt cummins in it. 37in tires. Not super concerned about the Nevada DMV bs. I can change my address to my moms and claim seasonal residency.
The kit for misc parts is around $7000, engine and trans $5000 range. Husband will do the install. He's a diesel fan big time and has torn our f250 apart and rebuilt the heads. And replaced the transmission. Currently he's in the garage and has the motor of our xterra completely apart. Pretty good mechanic for an electrician.

Or option 2. Just buy a new jk rubicon with lifetime warranty and call it a day.

Honestly I like the last of electronics in the few 2007s better. Simple is better to me, less to go wrong.

I don't want a huge rock crawler, just enough to get us off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while my kids are little.

The price point is about the same both ways. The 2007 might be a little less $ but a ton more work.

Thanks in advance

Notsodirtyhippie

Thanks for the welcome evil! I like the way you guys think. My thoughts are 1.i love keeps 2.i love diesels and 3. It works out as $45000+/- either way.

Wethy

Why do you need a diesel? I'm confused.

Why not is the better question ha ha I wouldn't mind havin a 4BT Cummins or a 3.8ISF Cummins under the hood torque and mpgs for days but the amount of money and time required to make that work would be crazy!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Why not is the better question ha ha I wouldn't mind havin a 4BT Cummins or a 3.8ISF Cummins under the hood torque and mpgs for days but the amount of money and time required to make that work would be crazy!

Not really a better question.

jeeeep

Hooked
So I'm not yet a proud jeep owner yet. It's only taken 7 years of marriage to talk my husband into it. Sooo my options are:
1. Buy a 2007-2008 jk rubicon 4dr for $16-$17k then dump a 4bt cummins in it. 37in tires. Not super concerned about the Nevada DMV bs. I can change my address to my moms and claim seasonal residency.
The kit for misc parts is around $7000, engine and trans $5000 range. Husband will do the install. He's a diesel fan big time and has torn our f250 apart and rebuilt the heads. And replaced the transmission. Currently he's in the garage and has the motor of our xterra completely apart. Pretty good mechanic for an electrician.

Or option 2. Just buy a new jk rubicon with lifetime warranty and call it a day.

Honestly I like the last of electronics in the few 2007s better. Simple is better to me, less to go wrong.

I don't want a huge rock crawler, just enough to get us off the beaten path and enjoy the outdoors while my kids are little.

The price point is about the same both ways. The 2007 might be a little less $ but a ton more work.

Thanks in advance

while the diesel option would give you the torque and mileage, it will take time to get everything running properly and you also want to consider the drive train condition/upgrades to handle the additional torque.

With a new Rubicon, you're on the road/trail immediately and will likely make you want to drive it/enjoy it more since it'll just flat out be more comfortable (while your kids are little lol). The 3.6 has good power, I have to say the automatic transmission with tap shift makes it easy to get the best of both worlds (manual/automatic).

With both you'll need to make the additional investment to get the suspension/gearing/drive shafts to handle 37's, possibly steering box for the '07-'08. I suspect the true additional costs of buying an older Jeep would outweigh the cost of a new Rubi you can pack and go right off the lot.

Good luck! :thumb:

Notsodirtyhippie

I don't intend on serious trails since we will always have our 3 littles with and I'd like to be able to tow a small/medium trailer without having to bring our truck everywhere. Maybe the new one is a better option since it'll be legal without having to drive across country to register it. Drive n go.

If I did go gas, realistically how large of a trailer can I expect to pull with it?

BlackHawk08jk

Eddie, one could ask you the same thing about your V8... Always wanting more isn't a bad thing is it? ;)

Yea more is better, but Eddie put a light weight high hp gas engine. The diesel not light weight and with that kinda torque you need to beef a lot of components up. Diesel fuel will also always be more expensive then gas as well. I think that's kinda what they are thinking

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I don't intend on serious trails since we will always have our 3 littles with and I'd like to be able to tow a small/medium trailer without having to bring our truck everywhere. Maybe the new one is a better option since it'll be legal without having to drive across country to register it. Drive n go.

If I did go gas, realistically how large of a trailer can I expect to pull with it?

With either option if you buy a 4 door the max trailer size would be 3500 lbs if you want to stay legal.

They will pull more but heaven forbid you get in an accident the liability you could be on the hook for isn't worth it. Use you husbands f250 for towing more.

Notsodirtyhippie

Oh 3500 isn't too bad. It leaves quite a few options. Jeep top tents, pop ups, ultralights. All we need is a place to sleep. I'd prefer no canvas sides. Bears really freak me out and we camp around bears.

I'd rather leave the truck at home. It only gets 8mpg!! You know it's bad when you see what jeeps get and think that it's amazing.

Notsodirtyhippie

Yea more is better, but Eddie put a light weight high hp gas engine. The diesel not light weight and with that kinda torque you need to beef a lot of components up. Diesel fuel will also always be more expensive then gas as well. I think that's kinda what they are thinking

Diesel is about the same as gas where we live. I paid $1.99 a gal last week. Although it sucked when it was over $4 a gallon. Took $100 to fill up vs the $45 last week. But with the extra mpg and longer lasting motor it somewhat works out.
As far as the install aspects you have to change out a bunch of parts.
As much as we would love a diesel one. It probably is just too much headache.

BlackHawk08jk

Diesel is about the same as gas where we live. I paid $1.99 a gal last week. Although it sucked when it was over $4 a gallon. Took $100 to fill up vs the $45 last week. But with the extra mpg and longer lasting motor it somewhat works out.
As far as the install aspects you have to change out a bunch of parts.
As much as we would love a diesel one. It probably is just too much headache.

Don't get me wrong I love diesels. I had an 02 cummins. I would love another diesel but I would just go buy a truck if that was the route I was going.

Top Bottom