Sway bar link hitting spring perch.

BertaNation

My front passenger side sway bar link is hitting my spring perch as I go over bumps and into my driveway. The driver side is not hitting but is very close. The angle of my sway bar is 17 deg.
15 jku 3.5 rk X factor. Any suggestions
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453305713.970498.jpg . ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453305661.048550.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453305683.383553.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did the problem just start? Is the contact significant or just barely? If it's just barely, loosen up the 2 bolts securing your sway bar bushing to the frame rail, push it forward and then retighten the bolts :cool:

BertaNation

My thoughts are the problem has been there. I just changed from a rc 4" lift to the rk 3.5. My previous links were RE which I could never really get them adjusted correctly they were always getting hit by something
(tie rod,springs,perch). I will try the sway bar adjustment to see if it helps

As far as the track bar I think I read somewhere on the forum that it's best to just keep ur oem bar and do the raised bracket. Am I incorrect.

Also I am still running the RC track bar bracket F&R. I do not have an adjustable bar because I pieced together the lift

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My thoughts are the problem has been there. I just changed from a rc 4" lift to the rk 3.5. My previous links were RE which I could never really get them adjusted correctly they were always getting hit by something
(tie rod,springs,perch). I will try the sway bar adjustment to see if it helps

As far as the track bar I think I read somewhere on the forum that it's best to just keep ur oem bar and do the raised bracket. Am I incorrect.

Also I am still running the RC track bar bracket F&R. I do not have an adjustable bar because I pieced together the lift

First off, I personally would recommend that you replace your RC track bar relocation bracket and dropped pitman arm as they are just a terrible design. I've installed and tested them myself and found the splines in the drooped pitman arm to be loose and that caused a sloppy feel in the steering. Also, I have personally seen where the track bar relocation caused a break at the factory mount.

Second, yes, the factory track bar is a good one to have and even better if you have an older 2007-10 one. If I could guess, your problem may be that the relocation bracket did not provide enough correction in the centering of your axle or at least, for the amount of lift you have. More than likely, this has pulled your sway bar arm to the driver side of your Jeep and that's why you're having the issue that you have now.

BertaNation

The rk kit as far as the front goes it does not call for a front track bar bracket only the adj track bar.
So I guess I will do that and get an oem pitman arm. My only concern is the stock track bar location is a known weak point

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The rk kit as far as the front goes it does not call for a front track bar bracket only the adj track bar.
So I guess I will do that and get an oem pitman arm.

I have found that any JK lifted 3" or more can benefit from the installation of a good drag link flip/front track bar relocation kit. It is designed to correct your steering geometry, help improve handling and recenter your axle. But, it's your Jeep and you most certainly can go off of what Rock Krawler says.

My only concern is the stock track bar location is a known weak point

"Known"? Known by who? Yeah, the factory mount on the axle side can and will tear IF you install a poorly designed track bar relocation bracket that doesn't have additional support. Without the support, cheaper brackets will act like a lever and work the factory mount until it breaks. This is why I would only recommend something like an EVO or AEV draglink/track bar kit and if you can, have it burned on. Aside from that, I don't know if I can say that I've seen too many factory mounts just fail for no good reason. But, that's just me.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Yeah, the factory mount on the axle side can and will tear IF you install a poorly designed track bar relocation bracket that doesn't have additional support. Without the support, cheaper brackets will act like a lever and work the factory mount until it breaks. This is why I would only recommend something like an EVO or AEV draglink/track bar kit and if you can, have it burned on. Aside from that, I don't know if I can say that I've seen too many factory mounts just fail for no good reason. But, that's just me.

I did not know that. Is that true for both the frame and axle mount?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did not know that. Is that true for both the frame and axle mount?

The axle mount is without question the side that is more likely to break but yes, I have personally seen both sides break because of the problem I had outlined.

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen it on several vehicles with track bars, not just Jeeps. The track bar handles so much side force, I've seen multiple bolt-on drop brackets work loose or break bolts or break themselves from lack of proper support. Welding them on keeps them rigid and strong.

jeeeep

Hooked
just adding the angle of your swaybar should be +/- 5 degrees. to much down angle and you risk the swaybar flipping inversely when disconnected.
too high an angle and you may lose some droop due to binding, could also be why you're hitting on one side.
if you're using quick disconnects then it doesn't matter other than maybe getting a little more body roll when connected

Last edited:
Top Bottom