2015 Jeep Wrangler Leather Seat Quality

JeepFan

Hooked
2015 Jeep Wrangler Leather Seat Poor Design and Quality Issue?

Has anyone had an issue with their front leather seat cushion covers popping off the seat frame? This happens more often on the passengers seat after getting in and out of the Jeep.

20160120_083821_resized_1.jpg
This what it should look like.

20160120_083851_resized_1.jpg
This is what it looks like when the material pops off the frame.

20160120_083904_resized_1.jpg
This is the flimsy plastic channel that attaches the material to the seat frame.

20160120_083939_resized_1.jpg
As you can see, only about half of the plastic channel actually attaches to the metal seat frame.

Not a good design IMHO. Anyone ever see this problem?

Last edited:

trailless

Caught the Bug
I've had that same problem on my 2014. It caused a rattle that I chased for over a month... I just never thought to look there. :doh:

I guess a simple solution might be to apply some double sided 3m tape to the plastic piece.

perkindm

I gotta tell ya...

First off, the only thing leather about my 2012 JKU Leather seats is the name leather on the window sticker and extra charge for that name (they are vinyl-period). I have replaced my front seats twice under warranty and now need to be changed again, can you say (after market)???

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
First off, the only thing leather about my 2012 JKU Leather seats is the name leather on the window sticker and extra charge for that name (they are vinyl-period). I have replaced my front seats twice under warranty and now need to be changed again, can you say (after market)???

If that's true (that they are vinyl) that's really shitty. I guess I'm glad I have cheap old cloth seats.

Angry Aussie

Just do yourselves a favor and get some master craft baja seats! I had leather seats in mine and replaced the fronts with the matercrafts and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. The mastercrafts are way more comfortable then my 2012 seats ever were plus the MC are way better when off-roading. When I used to go wheeling when I had my stock seats by the end of the day my lower back would be hurting so bad there was a couple of times I needed help out of the jeep. I don't have or have ever had back problems before, I stay in shape and I'm pretty active. But when I put the MC seats in I've never had any back pain after a day of wheeling plus I'm way less fatigued at the end of the day either. My rear seat is still "leather" just haven't gotten around to switching it yet but will at some point.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

They are not vinyl, they are actually leather. They aren't the highest grade leather obviously. The Katskinz covers are much higher grade.

kfchris

I had this happen to a few other vehicles (I don't presently have leather in my jeep thankfully) it seems that sometimes the plastic retainer just can't hold on for some reason....I'd imagine shitty design and/or cost cutting.

WEN2FAS

They are not vinyl, they are actually leather. They aren't the highest grade leather obviously. The Katskinz covers are much higher grade.

You obviously have never been in a car with real leather seats. These plastic covered seats are horrible and Katskins are just as bad. I have had both in different vehicles.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You obviously have never been in a car with real leather seats. These plastic covered seats are horrible and Katskins are just as bad. I have had both in different vehicles.

You obviously have no clue how many grades of leather there are for automobiles. I said it isn't the highest grade and Katskinz are better. I didn't say either was great. They are actual leather though. I've owned several premium imports with high end leather so yes i know what it is.

Jeepfan, please keep us updated on the fix for your issue. I too have pleather;) and while I don't share your trouble now, it would be nice to know how you addressed it should it arise

WEN2FAS

You obviously have no clue how many grades of leather there are for automobiles. I said it isn't the highest grade and Katskinz are better. I didn't say either was great. They are actual leather though. I've owned several premium imports with high end leather so yes i know what it is.

If you have to tell yourself that your "bonded" leather seats are "real" leather to make yourself feel like you weren't fooled that's fine.

Top, full, genuine, and bonded, would be the grades of leather available.

Only top and full grain and maybe some genuine grain, although it sucks too, would be considered real leather.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
If you have to tell yourself that your "bonded" leather seats are "real" leather to make yourself feel like you weren't fooled that's fine.

Top, full, genuine, and bonded, would be the grades of leather available.

Only top and full grain and maybe some genuine grain, although it sucks too, would be considered real leather.

1) I dont have leather seats in my jk, I have cloth seats. But the leather in the jk is actual leather, not vinyl. They said parts of the seat are not leather and are vinyl. Like all automotive applications. The a surface (or side you sit on/see) is leather. The b surface (sides, back, etc) are typically cheaper leather or vinyl. The c surface (what you cant see like between console and seat) is often cloth. This is true for all vehicles short of some ultra high end (bentley, etc).

2) what do you do for a living? I work in automotive and know the different types of leather materials used. What you listed isn't them.

But whatever, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Even if it's wrong :)

Peak

I didn't notice that until I was removing my seats to replace them with the mastercraft pro series. Maybe some double sided tape to help keep it in place?

JeepFan

Hooked
Jeepfan, please keep us updated on the fix for your issue. I too have pleather;) and while I don't share your trouble now, it would be nice to know how you addressed it should it arise

I will definitely keep everyone posted on this issue. My dealer suggested installing hog rings to attach the cheap plastic channel to the metal part of the seat. I wasn't given an answer when I asked if this was a fix prescribed by FCA. Long story short... I made it clear to my dealer that this idea is unacceptable. I have requested they send all pictures to their factory rep and TAC to determine the best way to resolve this issue. Stay tuned.

I'm still waiting to hear from FCA on how they plan to fix the rattling brake pedal. So far, no answer...
Brake Pedal Thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?32493-Brake-Pedal-Rattle
Brake Pedal Rattle Video: https://youtu.be/AW32HdVNSfY

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate it!!

JAGS

Hooked
Rubber bands and hog rings. Sounds like quality fixes to me. Lol.

Can't believe they still haven't gotten back to you on the brake pedal issue. I too am waiting to see what they tell you.

Are you dealing with Hunter?

I had my seat covers replaced. It took some time (40 days or so) and a ton of pictures sent to Chrysler. The liners on my Jeep were doing exactly what yours are in addition to the seems splitting.

I hope they take care of you.

Top Bottom