Tire meets tree

Mkp08

I was out wheeling in the show climbing a hill when I got up on top there was full size trees on the ground you had to drive over. Well I did and one decided to pop my tire it put a hole in my side wall. I run 37 in mud glrapplers. Can they be fixed if so how will the vulcanized method work? I would rather not buy a new spare?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
typically sidewalls can not be fixed like the tread portion. I would see if you can find a used tire for your spare on craigslist.

allwhitejeeps

Don't think sidewalls would be repairable but check with a tire shop maybe if the hole is small enough you don't have to replace

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've repaired a small sidewall puncture before, but it isn't really advisable and I would be surprised if any tire shop will make the repair. If it is a puncture and not a rip, you might just repair it yourself and use the tire as a spare (not a highway spare) until you can get a new tire. I take it you obviously did not get a road hazard warranty when you purchased the tires?

WJCO

Meme King
Don't try to repair the sidewall, not safe, nor will shops do it that I know of. Do what hinrichs said. CL is a great place even if you find a worn down spare for cheap.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would only do it if it was on a playtoy only that didn't see road. On the road the tires tend to come apart faster with sidewall punctures. If on the trail I would definitely try to patch it to get me off the trail if need be.

jeeeep

Hooked
there are tractor tire patches made by bullseye that are useful as a trail repair but not for daily driving. the patches will reduce the amount of flex in the tire and require a vulcanizing cement to cure properly.
they work in an emergency but not for DD road use

toxicwaste29

I had to repair a sidewall on an ATV tire since I was in the middle of nowhere. It's held up thus far after jumps and such. But then again the tires only hold 4 psi and I always look at it to make sure it hasn't blown yet. I wouldn't do it on a dd

Top Bottom