What is that sound?

GraniteCrystal

There's been a new sound coming from my Jeep that has me concerned. Video here:

https://youtu.be/n0LKQRqswv0

It's the lower toned growling in the video. Think lawn mower or hair dryer. A little hard to hear over the wind and engine but you can pick up on it. It kind of gets louder and quieter throughout.

Only happens when going faster. Starts around 55mph and gets louder the faster you go.

Mechanic mentioned the slip joint on front axle had some play in it a few weeks ago. Possibility?

Journeyman

I'd start with the roof rack. My front runner track rack made some crazy sounds until I built a deflector for it. Even moving it on the tracks would change the things a ton.

GraniteCrystal

I'd start with the roof rack. My front runner track rack made some crazy sounds until I built a deflector for it. Even moving it on the tracks would change the things a ton.

Roof rack has been on for a while. Never made that sound before. Still, I'll add it to the list of suspects. And it has a wind deflector so I wouldn't think it'd be that bad. It's pretty loud when you're in the cab driving.

WJCO

Meme King
When the noise occurs, be safe about it but put the vehicle in neutral. See if it changes pitch like a drive train noise. Chances are if it doesn't it's related to tire, bearing, or as others have said some kind of wind noise maybe, check for anything loose hanging under the vehicle such as debris, branches, etc.

YAYMUD

Just a thought.. Try greasing the U-joints on your Drive shafts and see if it gets quieter. Until then if you can, When the noise starts, slow down. I had a Hum Just like that recently. Inspecting my Drive shafts revealed a U-joint that had lost a grease zirk. I replaced the zirk and re-lubed the joint and it got quieter, but its still there. I'm going to replace the U joints as soon as they come in and I'll let you know if this isn't resolved. I'm not certain thats my issue, or yours, but its worth a look. Like I said, Lubing my joints made it quieter, So you could try it and see...

Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Putting the tranny in neutral does not isolate the entire drivetrain. But it can help a little in diagnosing if it is engine rpm related or speed related.

GraniteCrystal

Putting the tranny in neutral does not isolate the entire drivetrain. But it can help a little in diagnosing if it is engine rpm related or speed related.

When the noise occurs, be safe about it but put the vehicle in neutral. See if it changes pitch like a drive train noise. Chances are if it doesn't it's related to tire, bearing, or as others have said some kind of wind noise maybe, check for anything loose hanging under the vehicle such as debris, branches, etc.

Did this. No change at all in sound.

I have an appointment on Friday with the dealer while it's still under warranty. Only a few thousand left on that.

GraniteCrystal

Did this. No change at all in sound.

I have an appointment on Friday with the dealer while it's still under warranty. Only a few thousand left on that.

Brought it into the dealership this morning. AutoNation Chrysler in Golden, CO. Took the tech out for a drive and he said he'd never heard something quite like that before but something was definitely wrong.

They're planning on keeping it till Monday and most likely going to replace a few substantial parts on the front end. I'll report back with what they find and how the service was. He said it would all be under warranty so not planning on paying for anything which is great.

GraniteCrystal

Dealership says it's from the splash guard in the inner wheel well vibrating due to the changed aerodynamics of the new JCR mid-width bumper. Actually makes total sense when I got under there and looked at it. Anybody had this problem before? Ways to pin down that plastic so it doesn't vibrate against the frame?

I also had some play in the front slip joint so they gave me a whole new front drive shaft as well. Same Dana 44 but he said it's the new model that's a little beefier so I'm calling that a win.

Overall, great experience with the guys at AutoNation Chrysler in Golden.

Top Bottom