TPS Replacement

JimL

Howdy folks. Have any of ya'll replaced a TPS on a 3.8l motor before? It's on 2010 JKU. On a 1-10 how would you place the difficulty/PITA level? Thanks in advance.

I replaced one on my mustang about 2 years ago and if memory serves it was a 5-10 minute job. 1 plug and 2 screws and it was done.... Your jeep shouldn't be too different one would think

WJCO

Meme King
If I remember right, it's part of the throttle body. Not 100% sure though. Are you sure it's failed?

JimL

If I remember right, it's part of the throttle body. Not 100% sure though. Are you sure it's failed?

It's been undriveable lately. I had drive 70 miles back from work last week at 30 miles an hour in limp mode. Wouldn't go over 2k RPMs and the engine would sputter and rock when idling. There was a previous incident a few weeks ago where the engine repeatedly misfire and sputtered. It stopped after sitting for the night, so I dismissed it as bad gas. That was my mistake. After this last issue, I had a a guy at O'Reilly's run a diagnostic and the code repeatedly came as TPS failure.

WJCO

Meme King
It's been undriveable lately. I had drive 70 miles back from work last week at 30 miles an hour in limp mode. Wouldn't go over 2k RPMs and the engine would sputter and rock when idling. There was a previous incident a few weeks ago where the engine repeatedly misfire and sputtered. It stopped after sitting for the night, so I dismissed it as bad gas. That was my mistake. After this last issue, I had a a guy at O'Reilly's run a diagnostic and the code repeatedly came as TPS failure.

Check wiring at that area. If all is good, call your dealer and find out if the sensor is separate or not. If not, it SOUNDS like a throttle body issue. If the sensor is not part of the tbody, they are usually easy to install.

JimL

Check wiring at that area. If all is good, call your dealer and find out if the sensor is separate or not. If not, it SOUNDS like a throttle body issue. If the sensor is not part of the tbody, they are usually easy to install.

The sensor is actually in plain sight, right next to the butterfly valve outside the throttle body. I have contacted the dealership and have been told to take it to the nearest dealership (I'm out of state at the moment). I don't really feel like paying for a tow truck or car dolly to drag it 80 miles, so I figured the easiest and cheapest route would be to do it myself. (Footnote: the wiring actually looks to be in good condition)

WJCO

Meme King
The sensor is actually in plain sight, right next to the butterfly valve outside the throttle body. I have contacted the dealership and have been told to take it to the nearest dealership (I'm out of state at the moment). I don't really feel like paying for a tow truck or car dolly to drag it 80 miles, so I figured the easiest and cheapest route would be to do it myself. (Footnote: the wiring actually looks to be in good condition)

If you buy the sensor aftermarket, they're usually fairly cheap. I would recommend OEM parts for electronics, but a 30-40 dollar gamble to get vehicle running, I would say slap an aftermarket one in. Very easy to do if it's not part of the throttle body. If there is ANY adjustment needed, there are a lot of youtube videos on how to do it. Normally adjustment won't be affected when you change the sensor if you put it back in the same place. Good luck.

JimL

If you buy the sensor aftermarket, they're usually fairly cheap. I would recommend OEM parts for electronics, but a 30-40 dollar gamble to get vehicle running, I would say slap an aftermarket one in. Very easy to do if it's not part of the throttle body. If there is ANY adjustment needed, there are a lot of youtube videos on how to do it. Normally adjustment won't be affected when you change the sensor if you put it back in the same place. Good luck.

Thank you sir

jeeeep

Hooked
the TPS is easy to fix if you can operate a screwdriver you got the skill required lol.
also check your PCV valve, the PCV can lead to rough idle and oil consumption as well, it's not that much more difficult than the TPS just a bigger pain in the ass because you have to remove the coil and get behind the valve cover. there are a couple of good videos on YouTube on replacing both

JimL

the TPS is easy to fix if you can operate a screwdriver you got the skill required lol.
also check your PCV valve, the PCV can lead to rough idle and oil consumption as well, it's not that much more difficult than the TPS just a bigger pain in the ass because you have to remove the coil and get behind the valve cover. there are a couple of good videos on YouTube on replacing both

I scoured youtube lookin for a video, I don't suppose you could link it, could you?

JimL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVDON-ka70

I couldn't find one for the TPS sensor. It's easy, you should be able to figure it out by looking at the old part vs new part.

Well looks like I'm back to square one. I called O'Reilly's and they claim that (according to jeep) my year model does not have a TPS separate from the throttle body. So it would have to replaced altogether. And considering I've only had this jeep for about a month, I'm not willing to pay $300 for a part the dealership should've replaced before selling me the thing.

WJCO

Meme King
Well looks like I'm back to square one. I called O'Reilly's and they claim that (according to jeep) my year model does not have a TPS separate from the throttle body. So it would have to replaced altogether. And considering I've only had this jeep for about a month, I'm not willing to pay $300 for a part the dealership should've replaced before selling me the thing.

Take a picture of the throttle body area where the big air intake hose goes into it. Take pics from a couple angles and post it up here. We should be able to tell you. If I remember right, it's a big ass black box about half the size of the the throttle body, and yeah, they aren't cheap. If that is the case, I would stick with oem for something like that, more of a module.

EDIT: And the talk to used car manager or general manager and try to get them to help you out.

JimL

Take a picture of the throttle body area where the big air intake hose goes into it. Take pics from a couple angles and post it up here. We should be able to tell you. If I remember right, it's a big ass black box about half the size of the the throttle body, and yeah, they aren't cheap. If that is the case, I would stick with oem for something like that, more of a module.

EDIT: And the talk to used car manager or general manager and try to get them to help you out.

I'll do that as soon as I get off work.

EDIT: I checked it out when I got home, turns out O'Reilly's was correct. The assembly is all one piece.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I was thinking the crank positioning sensor :doh:

do you remember the code that was pulled? was it P1391?

have you checked the crank position sensor? it's on the transmission bell housing, It'll give you same type of issues if it's bad or loose.

Also may be a MAP sensor issue depending on the actual code

To check your JK Codes, use this sequence on your ignition. Insert key and turn the ignition On-Off-On-Off then back to the On position and then notice the codes given in the odometer read-out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom