CJ5, is it worth stretching??

PGH08JK

Hello All,

As the title says, is it worth it to stretch a CJ5? If so, how much. I am looking for opinions if anyone has any, please chime in. Just bought one today.. Appreciate any help.

JeepFan

Hooked
With all due respect, why would you want to? Personally I would want to keep it as stock and unmolested as possible. Just my .2 cents.

Grubbicon

I have a YJ and its stretched close to 105" personally I think thats about he best wheel base all around. With the CJ5 being so small if I was going to keep leaf springs Id take the outside hangers and stick them as far as possible on the frame. What ever that ended up with Id go with it.

Edit: heres some pictures I have of mine on hand you can see its basically pushed as far as possible without adding frame.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453513297.530715.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453513329.017394.jpg

Last edited:

kfchris

it's your jeep do what you want. What are you stretching wheelbase or body? If it's the body why not sell it and get a larger jeep that fits your needs/wants. There has to be a later model -7 or YJ our there that would work well.

p38

Caught the Bug
I stretched my M38A1 to a wheelbase of 102". Took two bodies and cut/spliced at the door and aft wheel well. Replaced the C channel frame with custom 2 X 4 square tube. Makes it easier to get behind the wheel, and added cargo space. Much improved ride and handling. Actually turns tighter than the stock M38A1.
IMG_2403.jpg

mo0s3

I stretched my M38A1 to a wheelbase of 102". Took two bodies and cut/spliced at the door and aft wheel well. Replaced the C channel frame with custom 2 X 4 square tube. Makes it easier to get behind the wheel, and added cargo space. Much improved ride and handling. Actually turns tighter than the stock M38A1.
View attachment 201767

Now that is SEXY !

Helipilot2

I will be stretching mine end of the year to beginning of next. Ill try to remember to get on here and post results. I currently have a 14 bolt, trussed 5:13s, detroit locker going in that will be 4 linked, front will be a kingpin with same setup but 3 linked. I will get pics of the aftermath and let you know what I think of it.

professorkx

I just finished a 3 link front 4 link rear conversion on a 78 cj5, moved the front axle forward 4.5 inches and the rear backwards 6 inches. Used 14 inch travel King coilovers. Took about 200 hours to complete the the conversion.

Keeping the leaf springs would be difficult unless you plan to mount the spring hangers past the current bumper locations, which kind of defeats the purpose of the stretch. Of course, you can just stretch of the frame and body. If you are keeping the leaf springs, I think you would better to get a cj7 or yj, as you get the additional length.

Helipilot2

I just finished a 3 link front 4 link rear conversion on a 78 cj5, moved the front axle forward 4.5 inches and the rear backwards 6 inches. Used 14 inch travel King coilovers. Took about 200 hours to complete the the conversion.

Keeping the leaf springs would be difficult unless you plan to mount the spring hangers past the current bumper locations, which kind of defeats the purpose of the stretch. Of course, you can just stretch of the frame and body. If you are keeping the leaf springs, I think you would better to get a cj7 or yj, as you get the additional length.

Could you post some pictures of this please, I would be curious to see what it looks like. Did you build your 3/4 link or did you buy them?

MountainGoat

Hello All,

As the title says, is it worth it to stretch a CJ5? If so, how much. I am looking for opinions if anyone has any, please chime in. Just bought one today.. Appreciate any help.

Are you talking about stretching the wheelbase or the body?
I am partial to not cutting the CJ5 unless it is going to be a hardcore rig and you plan to trash the sides anyway. If you are, then I would stretch it.
From of experience though, if you just bought it and it is running, Drive It until you break it.

If you are talking about the body, Steve Shafe in Carson City stretched his CJ. Here is a photo of it.

55493_138573122858673_6513917_o.jpg

Top Bottom