JKU 2015 Transmission issue. Help!

zerorex

1/22/2016
Issue when Driving Jeep Wrangler.

Transmission was stalling when pressing on gas. When trying to go in reverse the car would rev, but would not go in reverse. To fix it I had to go into park and then go back into reverse and then I could reverse the car. It seemed every time I had an issue it was after stopping and the vehicle went into eco-mode. After turning off the vehicle and restarting the problem was gone.

Full disclosure when I originally wired the backup camera, I used a T-tap and connected it to the jeeps 3rd brake light. Since that was the wrong way to power it I cut the red wire (left the ground connected to the 3rd brake light ground (T-tapped as well)) and crimped it to the provided cable for the backup camera.

Last edited:

Heholua

On the way home from our last summer run up in Tahoe, Trail Bud, WOLette and I decided to make a detour and do a quick run up to Kavanaugh Ridge. This is one of our most favorite places to visit in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as it takes you up to 11,000 feet and offers views that are to die for. Of course, because of its extreme location, getting up here can be tough as deep snow often blocks the trail well into July. And, if you can get up there, hurricane force winds, thick clouds and a lot times, smoke from forest fires can put a damper on things but for us on this trip, it was about as perfect as it gets. Here are a few shots that we took while we were there.

A quick stop we made along the shores of a beautiful un-named lake...
main.php

main.php

On our way up to the top with Mono Lake in the background...
main.php

A few poser shots on top of the ridge...
main.php

main.php

main.php

View from the cliffs looking west toward East Lake, Green Lake and West Lake...
main.php

Shot of West Lake trickling into Green Lake...
main.php

Looking southwest out toward the Hoover Lakes...
main.php

And finally, Tessa keeping an eye out for Marmotts...
main.php

If you would like to see all the pics we took on this quick little detour on our way home from Tahoe, simply click on the link below:

Kavanaugh Ridge Run 2011 Photo Gallery

:cool:

There is transmission software update for the 2015s. Have you had this done yet?

zerorex

I just brought my vehicle to the jeep dealership last weekend and they said there was some updates they had to do. I am assuming that was the update? Or is it something I should have done myself? This is my first jeep so still learning :)

zerorex

Just checked the paperwork from the dealership. They did a R39 BCM Recall, which is not a transmission update. So no transmission update was done.

Heholua

Did I miss something.

I don't know how that happened, I quoted zerorex and that's what posted.:what:

I just brought my vehicle to the jeep dealership last weekend and they said there was some updates they had to do. I am assuming that was the update? Or is it something I should have done myself? This is my first jeep so still learning :)

Probably so on the update. No it's not anything you can do yourself, Dealership only.

zerorex

I'll call and make an appointment for the update. Thanks for the tip! Just to clarify, could using ttaps be causing a possible short and that's causing the transmission issue? I know I'm grabbing at straws.

Last edited:

Heholua

I'll call and make an appointment for the update. Thanks for the tip! Just to clarify, could me using ttaps be causing a possible short and that's causing the transmission issue? I know I'm grabbing at straws but I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you if the TTAPS are causing your problem.

zerorex

No worries I checked the ttaps and have all solid connections it's doesn't look like its the issue I'll get the update done you suggested and I'll keep a record in case it happens again. Thank you man for your help. Never experienced this before with any vehicle and was going a little crazy...you eased my anxiety [emoji106]

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Since it sounds like it happened after the change, I honestly would try disconnecting the camera power, and the mygig and leaving the battery disconnected for a few minutes to reset everything. Then see if the problem is still there. With the computer controls, crazy stuff happens.

I wonder if you connected the camera wires to the wrong wires and that is causing a power feedback issue that is causing the computer to act up. The mygig end should have been hard to mess up, but double check everything.

Good luck. Sounds crazy.

zerorex

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453676461.261655.jpg Welp I had all intentions about calling to schedule my jeep for the update and now this light came on... I really hope this isn't something bigger

zerorex

There is transmission software update for the 2015s. Have you had this done yet?

So I took the Jeep to the dealership and they scanned for a code and they did not find one. They did the transmission update and they said the issue has been fixed. I have had the jeep back for two days and I am not having any of the previous issues, but actually a new one...kind of.

Since the transmission flash update when in first gear i get to around 1500-2000rpm and then the jeep kicks forward and changes to the 2nd gear. In 2nd gear it gets to about 2000-2500rpm and then kicks into 3rd. After 3rd the kicking stops when shifting gears. The vehicle does feel a little sluggish from what it was, but it could just me be re acclimating myself.

I called the dealer and they said after flashing for the tranny update the vehicle has to re learn your driving habits and over the next 2 weeks it will adjust itself and the kicking should stop. If it does not stop, I can call up and have it looked at again. Is this an actual thing or are they pulling my chain? I've never heard of a transmission needing to adjust to driving habits, but then again the new wranglers have so much controlled by electronics I could be wrong.

Any advice?

Jeepnoub

So I took the Jeep to the dealership and they scanned for a code and they did not find one. They did the transmission update and they said the issue has been fixed. I have had the jeep back for two days and I am not having any of the previous issues, but actually a new one...kind of.

Since the transmission flash update when in first gear i get to around 1500-2000rpm and then the jeep kicks forward and changes to the 2nd gear. In 2nd gear it gets to about 2000-2500rpm and then kicks into 3rd. After 3rd the kicking stops when shifting gears. The vehicle does feel a little sluggish from what it was, but it could just me be re acclimating myself.

I called the dealer and they said after flashing for the tranny update the vehicle has to re learn your driving habits and over the next 2 weeks it will adjust itself and the kicking should stop. If it does not stop, I can call up and have it looked at again. Is this an actual thing or are they pulling my chain? I've never heard of a transmission needing to adjust to driving habits, but then again the new wranglers have so much controlled by electronics I could be wrong.

Any advice?

I think they are pulling your chain. They are hoping the issue fixes itself. I dealt with all 3 months I owned my 2015 cherokee. The kept reflashing the transmission and telling me everything was normal. The difference with mine was it would lunge forward right before coming to a stop. So Atleast yours isn't doing that.

Jeepnoub

I should also add. This is probably standard diagnostic procedure directed from chrysler. From my experience manufacturers like wait until complete failure to replace something. So as long as you have a warranty you should be ok. Just have to jump through the hoops.

ScoobyCarolanNC

try this -Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-89.htm

I used it when I changed tires and my transmission was doing a similar thing yours, if you have a tune, install the stock tune 1st then do the procedure.

it cured the "hard" shift issues I was having and took the performance tune without any problems

What does "ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds mean"? I'm no electrician so if I did what I THOUGHT that wanted me to do, I'm pretty sure the next step might be "dial 911 and ask for the fire department"....

WJCO

Meme King
What does "ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds mean"? I'm no electrician so if I did what I THOUGHT that wanted me to do, I'm pretty sure the next step might be "dial 911 and ask for the fire department"....

Just take the charge like a man :D. Lol. If you disconnect the positive from the battery and touch it to the negative, it won't do anything as there is no power source completing the circuit to cause any issues. I've had to do this on a lot of vehicles to clear memory data. I usually take both cables off and touch them to each other for about 10 seconds.

zerorex

Hello all! So I have been keeping a log of the issue and here's an excerpt from the log of what's currently happening:

1/28/16 - Thursday 3:04pm
Vehicle is working fine, but ever since the transmission update was done (Flashed from 05150891AD to 68271728AA), the vehicle makes a jerking motion when changing gears. At about 1500-2000rpm changing from first to second gear the jeep will now jerk forward and again between 2000-2500rpm when changing gears from 2nd to 3rd gear. I called the dealer and was told that there was a break-in period and I should give the vehicle about 1-2 weeks to relearn my driving habits so that the gear changing adjusts to me. If the gear change jerking issue is unresolved, schedule an appointment and they will address the issue.

Information on TCM Flash Update - 68271728AA
2015 Jeep Wrangler Power Train Service Bulletin 383883
Action Number: 10057945
Service Bulletin Number: 383883
Report Date: Apr 21, 2015
Component: Power Train
Summary: Chrysler 2014-2015 jeep wrangler: information regarding transmission control module available software. Customers are experiencing delayed shift response when driving up hills, vibration on acceleration from a cruising speed

1/29/16 - Friday 7:30am
Driving to work, 1st and 2nd gear transmissions had none of the jolting sensations. When going from 2nd to 3rd gear at a speed of 40-45mph (2000-3000rpm) the car was predominantly jolting/jerking forward. This was consistently happening while traveling down Hylan Blvd. At 7:23am when arriving at my destination the MIL (Check Engine Light) came on again. I will be contacting the dealer to bring it back a 2nd time for the transmission issue.

They are going to take the vehicle in on Monday. Hopefully they'll resolve it. I am currently leasing the vehicle and it sucks because I really wanted to buy it. I have about $12k in upgrades i planned on doing and have the funds waiting. It's honestly making me want to not spend a penny on this jeep and thats a sucky feeling.

Top Bottom