Labor Times for Installation

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
First off, let me just thank the great people at Wayalife for all of the help so far. I really appreciate it. Thanks in particular goes to Eddie, Russ and Mike.

My situation is this: I am getting ready to order a 2016 JKUR and then upon arrival, take it down to Off Road Evolution for a ton of suspension work. However, to get to my goal, I need to have some of the bolt on items financed within the vehicle's initial purchase price. I am looking to upgrade the front bumper, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier. I am starting to cultivate quotes from a few dealerships to find out how much they want for each part and the labor to install. Getting a good bead on pricing is easy, lots of resources out there to compare. However, what about labor?

My question is simple: How many labor hours should it take to install the following?:

Poison Spyder Rockbrawler Front Bumper
Warn ZEON 10-S Winch
Poison Spyder Rockbrawler Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.

Also, would going to EVO MFG 1/4 Front Bumper and LoD Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier be that much different?

Any help would be appreciated, but I only want to keep this discussion to labor hours and not an overall discussion about the parts themselves, please.

toxicwaste29

I'd wait and pay for the items as you have money so that they don't cost more in the long run. Hell I ran my 3.5" lifted jeep on the stock tires for about two years until the tread ran down and I could afford 35's. It looked terrible but it was better financially

The poison spyder front bumper can be done in an hour or less, its literally as easy as removing the old bumper and bolting the new one on. The evo 1/4 pounder is a lot more involved. It requires you to cut out the crash bar and relocate your e-disco if you have a rubicon. All in all probably a three hour job in total. Which either bumper, the winch is super easy to put in... Its four bolts and connecting it to your battery which shouldn't take longer than half an hour but you'll most likely get billed for an hour. I have no experience with the rear bumpers you mentioned so can't help there. Hope this helps!

Heholua

First off, let me just thank the great people at Wayalife for all of the help so far. I really appreciate it. Thanks in particular goes to Eddie, Russ and Mike.

My situation is this: I am getting ready to order a 2016 JKUR and then upon arrival, take it down to Off Road Evolution for a ton of suspension work. However, to get to my goal, I need to have some of the bolt on items financed within the vehicle's initial purchase price. I am looking to upgrade the front bumper, winch, rear bumper and tire carrier. I am starting to cultivate quotes from a few dealerships to find out how much they want for each part and the labor to install. Getting a good bead on pricing is easy, lots of resources out there to compare. However, what about labor?

My question is simple: How many labor hours should it take to install the following?:

Poison Spyder Rockbrawler Front Bumper
Warn ZEON 10-S Winch
Poison Spyder Rockbrawler Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.

Also, would going to EVO MFG 1/4 Front Bumper and LoD Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier be that much different?

Any help would be appreciated, but I only want to keep this discussion to labor hours and not an overall discussion about the parts themselves, please.

Front bumper and winch 3hrs, rear bumper and tire carrier 4-5 hrs.
I had the PS rear bumper and carrier and was far from impressed on how the tire was secured against the swing gate. IMO the LOD is far more functional for the trail.

Labor hrs should be close with both choices.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The poison spyder front bumper can be done in an hour or less, its literally as easy as removing the old bumper and bolting the new one on.

You sure about that? I thought the rock brawler required frame cutting of some sort.

Regardless, why pay the labor? I'll help you with the install of this stuff. That way you learn about how it all goes together and you will be much more comfortable with getting under your Jeep on the trail if necessary. I'm serious about the offer.

As for the rear bumper, I'd go with the LoD. Much more practical with a family because you can run a trail rack and gas carrier. I'd suggest getting it with the square cutouts for lights and then using flush mount rigid dually lights. The round lights LoD sells aren't great and, more importantly, you have to remove the bumper to change them out.

Edit: the rock brawler requires some drilling of the crash bar. Far from difficult, but it definitely is not just a direct bolt-in swap for the OEM bumper.

Last edited:
Edit: the rock brawler requires some drilling of the crash bar. Far from difficult, but it definitely isn't not just a direct bolt-in swap for the OEM bumper.

I guess I should have been a little more specific... If you're doing just the poison spyder bumper itself then there is no drilling or cutting, it simply bolts right up. If you're installing the optional lower skid plate with the bumper then yes there is a slight amount of trimming that needs to be done to the crash bar. Ask me how i know...
image.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I guess I should have been a little more specific... If you're doing just the poison spyder bumper itself then there is no drilling or cutting, it simply bolts right up. If you're installing the optional lower skid plate with the bumper then yes there is a slight amount of trimming that needs to be done to the crash bar. Ask me how i know...
View attachment 184078

He said rock brawler, not brawler lite. It is a completely different set up than what you have.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
You sure about that? I thought the rock brawler required frame cutting of some sort.

I think the Posion Spyder BFH front bumper requires some form of frame cutting, something I am worried about, given my experience with vehicle crash dynamics. The BFH removes a fair amount of the front rail crush zone.

Regardless, why pay the labor? I'll help you with the install of this stuff. That way you learn about how it all goes together and you will be much more comfortable with getting under your Jeep on the trail if necessary. I'm serious about the offer.

As for the rear bumper, I'd go with the LoD. Much more practical with a family because you can run a trail rack and gas carrier. I'd suggest getting it with the square cutouts for lights and then using flush mount rigid dually lights. The round lights LoD sells aren't great and, more importantly, you have to remove the bumper to change them out.

Edit: the rock brawler requires some drilling of the crash bar. Far from difficult, but it definitely is not just a direct bolt-in swap for the OEM bumper.

Sharkey,

First off, I am amazed at your willingness to help and I have sent you a text to get the ball rolling. It is great people like you that make the forum so awesome. I have already started thinking of ways to repay you.

My other option was the LoD rear bumper, which I will push for now. Thank you for the information on that. I will likely go with that one.

Gents,

Thank you so much for all of your help. The reason why I ask is how ridiculous one of the dealerships was quoting. I got a quote for 1.5 hours for the front bumper, 4 hours for the rear bumper and then 6.5 hours for the winch. If you are thinking the same thing, WTF, 6.5 hours for a winch install?!??! Meanwhile, I have also found out some other issues with the dealership so they are out of the running. They promised so much back in July, 2015, but now it comes time to pay, whole different story. PM if you want to know which dealership. The nice thing, I will not have to fly anywhere to get my Jeep!!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No need to repay me, I enjoy the time wrenching. If you get the LoD rear, get the zinc powder coating.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The bumper times could be realistic depending on the bumpers. The winch time is insane. They are not very difficult to install.

Petzl88

Sharkey is very nice and a great example of this community. Do it yourself! In my opinion, there is no reason to pay somebody to do what you can do in a little bit of time, that is if you have it.

The Project JK write ups is the reason that I came here in the first place and they gave me the confidence and knowledge I need to work on my Jeep. Experience is great, but knowledge is better.

He said rock brawler, not brawler lite. It is a completely different set up than what you have.

My mistake, good catch Sharkey. I looked at that one when I bought mine but decided against because its so big. Glad i did cuz mine being the "lite" version is still pretty heavy

Top Bottom