Dumb question?

cdl

Guys,

Can someone in the know please explain to me the difference between traditional tire sizes, example 35 x 12.50 x 17 and the "Metric" sizes, example (255 / 75-17). I'm asking because I'm planning on lifting my JKUR soon and I'm planning to run 35's. Thanks in advance

Chris

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Guys,

Can someone in the know please explain to me the difference between traditional tire sizes, example 35 x 12.50 x 17 and the "Metric" sizes, example (255 / 75-17). I'm asking because I'm planning on lifting my JKUR soon and I'm planning to run 35's. Thanks in advance

Chris

Not a dumb question at all. The first number listed on a metric tire will give you the width and the second number will give you the "aspect ratio" of the sidewall. Basically, the height of the sidewall listed as percentage of the width. So, a 255 would tell you that your tire width is 255mm wide and the 75 would tell you that the sidewall height is 75% of 255mm. The last number, in this case 17 tells you that it's designed for a 17" wheel.

If you're looking for a 35" equivalent metric tire, you would want a 315/75R17 or there abouts.

Hope that helps :yup:

cdl

It does help thank you. My next question would be, why would I want to choose "Standard" over "Metric" or the other way around. Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It does help thank you. My next question would be, why would I want to choose "Standard" over "Metric" or the other way around. Is there a reason to choose one over the other?

No, not really. Some metric tires will be slightly narrower or bigger and some tires are only available in a metric size. For the most part, once you start going big (35"-up), standard is the only thing that'll be available to you.

JK&Beyond

glad someone asked this! been searching for the answer to this Q forever and nothin but unreliable "wikianswer" crap on google.

Top Bottom