Aluminum or steel fenders?

whytiptoe

Just curious as to what most everyone is running. Please let me know what you are using and why and any issues please.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Neither. Been running trimmed factory fenders for the last 9 years. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

whytiptoe

Neither. Been running trimmed factory fenders for the last 9 years. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

Lol mall crawler, so on running the trimmed fenders you've never wished you would have had the steel or aluminum for more protection, or there is rarely the case you would ever need them for that?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol mall crawler, so on running the trimmed fenders you've never wished you would have had the steel or aluminum for more protection, or there is rarely the case you would ever need them for that?

"More protection"? LOL - If anything, I have seen first hand where steel and aluminum fender CAUSE body damage when hit really hard. Trimmed factory fenders will just flex, bend or tear off well before they can cause body damage and then they can be easily reinstalled.

whytiptoe

"More protection"? LOL - If anything, I have seen first hand where steel and aluminum fender CAUSE body damage when hit really hard. Trimmed factory fenders will just flex, bend or tear off well before they can cause body damage and then they can be easily reinstalled.

Thanks for the input, looks like there will be another trimmed jeep.

whytiptoe

Side note, I've seen you run factory skid plates. Do you recommend any if you don't want to run factory. I've see some that are aluminum and use a hard plastic like a cutting board surface on it to make it slide easy.

shortyokc

i was just fixing to make a post on a similar topic mainly because my steel fenders (shittybilt xrc) are rusting and the finish is flaking off after 1.5 years. i thought about refinishing but in the raptor liner product but to tell the truth im not too crazy about the fenders anyways. i was looking at the mce gen 2 fenders but wasnt sure how good they were. i dont have my factory fenders or i would reinstall and trim, i would also sell my existing fenders to recoup some money.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
i was just fixing to make a post on a similar topic mainly because my steel fenders (shittybilt xrc) are rusting and the finish is flaking off after 1.5 years. i thought about refinishing but in the raptor liner product but to tell the truth im not too crazy about the fenders anyways. i was looking at the mce gen 2 fenders but wasnt sure how good they were. i dont have my factory fenders or i would reinstall and trim, i would also sell my existing fenders to recoup some money.

I'd do the MCE fenders if I were you. I love the way they look and they'll be about 100ish more than buying brand new OEM fenders.

That being said, I picked up an entire set of OEM fenders off of CL for $75 from a 2007 after I cracked one of mine. Heck you might even be able to trade if you post an ad there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd do the MCE fenders if I were you. I love the way they look and they'll be about 100ish more than buying brand new OEM fenders.

That being said, I picked up an entire set of OEM fenders off of CL for $75 from a 2007 after I cracked one of mine. Heck you might even be able to trade if you post an ad there.

This ^^^

Of all the aftermarket fenders out there, the MCE one are what I would consider. That being said, there are lots of guys who have ditched their factory fenders and you should be able to pick up a complete set dirt cheap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Side note, I've seen you run factory skid plates. Do you recommend any if you don't want to run factory. I've see some that are aluminum and use a hard plastic like a cutting board surface on it to make it slide easy.

I run factory skid plates because they have proven themselves to work, cost NOTHING to have, they're light weight and make it easy to access and service important components on my Jeep. Of course, I am just a mall crawler. That being said, it sounds to me like you've got money that's burning a hole in your pocket and you're just chomping at the bit to spend it. I'm sure an expensive aluminum replacement skid with a cutting board attached to it will help take care of that. :yup:

shortyokc

Thanks for the responses I will keep the mce high on my list, I could also trade my current steel flares for some oem and even make some $$$

whytiptoe

I run factory skid plates because they have proven themselves to work, cost NOTHING to have, they're light weight and make it easy to access and service important components on my Jeep. Of course, I am just a mall crawler. That being said, it sounds to me like you've got money that's burning a hole in your pocket and you're just chomping at the bit to spend it. I'm sure an expensive aluminum replacement skid with a cutting board attached to it will help take care of that. :yup:

No no please don't take me the wrong way, that's why I said I know you run the factory skids and I know you have not had any real issue with them. If I can save money I will anywhere I can. That is why I am asking people who are WAY MORE experienced then I am. Even though you are just a mall crawler I will take your comments into consideration.

Napalm

If you watch through a lot of Eddie and Cindy's videos, you can see there fenders getting crushed, ripped, torn, and even ran over by a set of 40 inch mud grapplers!(Heartland JKX P1)

The factory Jeep fenders are awesome; durable, and with a little 303 Aerospace can look brand new always. My vote is for factory chopped!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No no please don't take me the wrong way, that's why I said I know you run the factory skids and I know you have not had any real issue with them. If I can save money I will anywhere I can. That is why I am asking people who are WAY MORE experienced then I am. Even though you are just a mall crawler I will take your comments into consideration.

What I can tell you is this. If I really thought a part or accessory was better than what I have or was something I felt that I really wanted or needed, I would just buy it if only because I can afford it. Fact of the matter is, I don't even run parts on my Jeeps that are offered to me for free if I don't see a need for it or find that it's worse than a factory part (such as is the case with steel or aluminum fenders). Of course, this is just me and really, I'm just trying to help save you some money. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you watch through a lot of Eddie and Cindy's videos, you can see there fenders getting crushed, ripped, torn, and even ran over by a set of 40 inch mud grapplers!(Heartland JKX P1)

The factory Jeep fenders are awesome; durable, and with a little 303 Aerospace can look brand new always. My vote is for factory chopped!

:cheesy: You just can't make that stuff up. I just can't believe that I'm still running the same fenders that came on my Jeep back in January 2007. :crazyeyes:

crowrb29

Still running factory and if I wanted flat fenders I'd just chop them.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453652388.174201.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453652410.283776.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453652433.245297.jpg

The scratches on the fenders are from having pretty much the entire weight of the back of my jeep snagged on different rocks at different times. They took it like a champ and didn't even pop the plastic pins. If they were metal that whole body panel would have been thrashed.

They metal fenders also add a lot of weight on top of already having heavier bumpers, armor, tire carriers and spare tires.

Plastic Fenders just seem like such a clear cut winner to me.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

To the OP, when you asked this re-question, it kind of comes across as a little rude. Imagine if you walked into someone's house and start re-questioning their answer. Would you be happy?

I came to the conclusion Eddie recommends a year ago. Here is the link that I believe is the best procedure for properly chopping the factory fenders:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-factory-fender-chop

Eddie, is this your writeup from years past? Please correct me if I am wrong because when I checked out Moby's fenders, they seemed perfect, built that way and not altered. I really like the door edge moulding as a finishing touch.

To the OP, when you asked this re-question, it kind of comes across as a little rude. Imagine if you walked into someone's house and start re-questioning their answer. Would you be happy?

I dont think theres anything wrong with this, its a legislate question and obviously he doesn't know the answer which is why he asked. After all, people come here for information right?

whytiptoe

I came to the conclusion Eddie recommends a year ago. Here is the link that I believe is the best procedure for properly chopping the factory fenders:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/jeep-jk-wrangler-factory-fender-chop

Eddie, is this your writeup from years past? Please correct me if I am wrong because when I checked out Moby's fenders, they seemed perfect, built that way and not altered. I really like the door edge moulding as a finishing touch.

Ok well first this was not to be rude, this was a follow up question to further understand the reasoning behind just using stock fenders. I respect Eddies opinion and I am extremely grateful he took the time and answered my question.

Second I have seen Eddies response to people where he has felt they where being rude or disrespectful to him, and to be honest if anyone is being rude it would be you. You are picking up on something that was not there and trying to make it into something it is not.

So again I thank everyone for their response and help.

Top Bottom