PDA

View Full Version : Custom Overhead Console

whytiptoe
01-24-2016, 06:38 AM
Head anyone done the custom console like the guy did on his Oakley jeep? I really like the thought of putting the radios up in a dead space and accessible by both driver and co driver.

whytiptoe
01-24-2016, 04:18 PM
Bump for any input?

MR.Ty
01-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Are you HAM certified? If not why would you want all of that? You can hang a CB from the metal loop above the rear view mirror with hardware from home depot. I can get some photos of how mine is set up if you like.

OverlanderJK
01-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Bump for any input?

You posted at 1130PM PST. You really expect people to be on here all night?

Not to mention I have no clue what the he'll your talking about.

Jackal01
01-24-2016, 06:24 PM
You spelled your state wrong.

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 02:29 AM
Are you HAM certified? If not why would you want all of that? You can hang a CB from the metal loop above the rear view mirror with hardware from home depot. I can get some photos of how mine is set up if you like.

I am getting my certification shortly and I would only want it for the CB and VHF radio, the rest of it I would not want. The reason behind it is just the clean install and ease of access to all controls. Yes I know cobra makes a all in one unit CB, but I don't like it and it is not what I want.

However I would like to see your install as I like to see what everyone has done and could possibly change my mind.

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 02:30 AM
You spelled your state wrong.

Thanks I'll correct that, kinda feel stupid for that one.

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 02:45 AM
You posted at 1130PM PST. You really expect people to be on here all night?

Not to mention I have no clue what the he'll your talking about.

Hey my other question was answered by wayalife at 1121PM PST, so you know. Here is a link so you see what I am talking about, I don't want all of this but a double would be cool. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lMP_YA7_Mmc/maxresdefault.jpg

catahoula
01-25-2016, 02:52 AM
Jezus! That is a ton of shit. Are you planning on all of that?

Blazindevl
01-25-2016, 02:53 AM
You'll have to forgive some of the guys on here.... Let's just say they qualify for the senior discount. Not only are they long asleep on a Saturday at 11:30 but they're also crabass' during the day! :Pointing:

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 03:11 AM
Jezus! That is a ton of shit. Are you planning on all of that?

That is a ton of crap and hell no I am not planning all of that. I only want a spot for the CB and the VHF/UHF radio and possibly some small storage.

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 03:12 AM
You'll have to forgive some of the guys on here.... Let's just say they qualify for the senior discount. Not only are they long asleep on a Saturday at 11:30 but they're also crabass' during the day! :Pointing:

Hell the only reason I was up was because I could not sleep. I was surprised to see an answer from Eddie on my other post around the same time.

WJCO
01-25-2016, 03:45 AM
Hey my other question was answered by wayalife at 1121PM PST, so you know. Here is a link so you see what I am talking about, I don't want all of this but a double would be cool. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lMP_YA7_Mmc/maxresdefault.jpg

That looks like the same craft they used to fake the moon landing.

Jackal01
01-25-2016, 03:48 AM

I wanna know what this toggles/rockers/switches do in front of that first radio.

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 03:59 AM
I wanna know what this toggles/rockers/switches do in front of that first radio.

It's for his spotlight he put on top of the rear tire and his winch. It's a cool jeep but he is a true mall crawler for sure.

catahoula
01-25-2016, 05:12 AM
That is a ton of crap and hell no I am not planning all of that. I only want a spot for the CB and the VHF/UHF radio and possibly some small storage.

I was actually looking at the Smittybilt overhead console to add for storage and to mount CB.

OverlanderJK
01-25-2016, 05:25 AM
It's for his spotlight he put on top of the rear tire and his winch. It's a cool jeep but he is a true mall crawler for sure.

Wait that's actually in a jeep? Lol wtf?

whytiptoe
01-25-2016, 05:26 AM
I was actually looking at the Smittybilt overhead console to add for storage and to mount CB.

I looked at their overhead system and I've heard nothing but complaints and it looks like crap as well. I know function over style should come first, but not when it looks that bad.

RJEEPO
02-01-2016, 03:06 AM
I'm ok with the shittybuilt overhead set up. came with a lot of molle based pouches which I use elsewhere so I figured it sort of killed two birds with one stone.

OkstateJK
02-01-2016, 10:56 PM

For your dual band, just look for a unit with a detachable faceplate. I run a VGC 6600 pro 50 watt tri band. I love the radio, the body fits in the glovebox and the faceplate mounts securely to the windshield for a clean install. I've heard the overhead consoles tend to rattle and that would drive me nuts.

trailraider
02-01-2016, 11:15 PM
use the tuffy kit.

https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-188-jk-single-compartment-overhead-console.aspx