Gearing question

adambowen

So I was looking a locking the rear end of my jeep, 2014 jk sport. The current gear ratio is 3.73, I know the carrier break for the D30 is 3.73 and numerically higher so I know I can lock the front axle now and still be able to maintain that locker when I chose to regear. But what is the carrier break for the rear D44 non-rubicon? Could I lock it now and be able to maintain that same locker when I go to regear to ex:4.56?

So I was looking a locking the rear end of my jeep, 2014 jk sport. The current gear ratio is 3.73, I know the carrier break for the D30 is 3.73 and numerically higher so I know I can lock the front axle now and still be able to maintain that locker when I chose to regear. But what is the carrier break for the rear D44 non-rubicon? Could I lock it now and be able to maintain that same locker when I go to regear to ex:4.56?

What size tires are you running, or looking to run? I cant say i would waste money locking and regearing that d30 if you plan on wheeling much.

adambowen

What size tires are you running, or looking to run? I cant say i would waste money locking and regearing that d30 if you plan on wheeling much.

Looking to run 35's in the future. I've normally wheel 3's-4's with no problems with 33's on the D30.

swampdog

I have the same question about the rear carrier. Non-rubicon Dana 44, will the stock carrier handle a 4.88?

Looking to run 35's in the future. I've normally wheel 3's-4's with no problems with 33's on the D30.
Gotcha. There is a chart floating around here somewhere showing the leverage/torque increase on driveline components as you increase your tire size. Everything is situational obviously, but youll be starting into that grey area with 35s IMO.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As mentioned you can run a 4.88 on the stock carrier. That being said I wouldn't lock the d30. I would lock the rear and leave the front open. Less stress on the already small ring and pinion

Eezybreezy08

Agree with cozdude. I'm running 4.88 with stock axles. Dana 30 front and non rubi 44 rear. No problem crawling but I'm no where near as extreme as probably a lot of these folks on here. I just have fun. I don't even have a locker in the rear and I do enough stuff that is fun for me. I'm running 35s. So you should be fine with that set up until you can do like the rest of the big dogs on this site and drop some money off into some axles like I with I could ha

Top Bottom