Tires and Wheels

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Well finally ready to pull the trigger on some tires, and looking at 35s

I mainly wheel at Rausch Creek so i am thinking i should stick with a MT instead of a AT tire, and looking at both the Toyo and Nitto versions and not sure on which i should go with, also I should add the jeep is my daily driver as well

Also, if i am thinking about going with a set of ATX slabs, but not sure if i should wait a while for those or not (those will be after my 3rd car sells)

I will be going with a teraflex 2.5 lift as well with fox or bilstein shocks.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've run both and you really can't go wrong with either. I might recommend the Nitto Trail Grapplers over the Toyo's if only because they seem to be more available and can be found at your local Discount Tire retailer.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I've run both and you really can't go wrong with either. I might recommend the Nitto Trail Grapplers over the Toyo's if only because they seem to be more available and can be found at your local Discount Tire retailer.

I will probably end up with the Toyo's to spend a little less, and prolly just order them online. Just want to make sure that either would be decent in snow and rain....never thought picking tires would be such a chore compared to my other cars

FuriousDz

Ive run both at Raush actually and like WOL said you cant go wrong with either.

I ran the NIttos when I had 35's and now I run the Toyo's at 37's. Off road I really can tell the difference performance wise. On Pavement Id say the Toyo's are a little quieter but not much.

Good luck! Slabs are definitely in my future as well :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I ran the NIttos when I had 35's and now I run the Toyo's at 37's. Off road I really can tell the difference performance wise. On Pavement Id say the Toyo's are a little quieter but not much.

Agreed, the Toyo's are a bit more quite on pavement but, just by a bit.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug

Glad to see this response, I think it will be a little while to upgrade to beadlocks, so I will either just stick with the stock wheels and add some spacers, or get some cheap steel wheels so I can decide on what to do with the stock tires and wheels, just not sure what to do with the spare when i have the 35s...dont have the funds for a new bumper/carrier yet

FuriousDz

Glad to see this response, I think it will be a little while to upgrade to beadlocks, so I will either just stick with the stock wheels and add some spacers, or get some cheap steel wheels so I can decide on what to do with the stock tires and wheels, just not sure what to do with the spare when i have the 35s...dont have the funds for a new bumper/carrier yet

If its a short term solution you can run the 35 on the stock tire carrier depending on the wheel size and backspace.

The 35 Nitto fit perfect and actually sat right in that little well on the rear bumper displacing some of the weight. BUT I was running a 17" wheel with 4.5 BS. If that differs it may not fit as snug.
If you can get it on there just keep in mind you'll want to keep it as close to the tailgate as possible, the further out it is the more stress you'll have on the tailgate.

Again keep in mind its a short term solution to buy you some time, I ran mine for a year with no issues.

Hope that helps

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I was thinking about just running the spare in the back inside If needed anyway

Also just thinking about it, will I need gussets for the front c's right away?

FuriousDz

I was thinking about just running the spare in the back inside If needed anyway

Also just thinking about it, will I need gussets for the front c's right away?

I think that will depend on how often and how hard you are going to wheel your jeep.
Id think if you're not doing anything crazy you will probably be ok for a while.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I think that will depend on how often and how hard you are going to wheel your jeep.
Id think if you're not doing anything crazy you will probably be ok for a while.

I would say maybe once a month or once every few months, hard to find people to go with, also would you guys recomend doing a coil lift or just going with a leveling kit and flat fenders? i am ready to order the 2.5 from teraflex but keep seeing threads where people are not doing much a lift anymore.

FuriousDz

I would say maybe once a month or once every few months, hard to find people to go with, also would you guys recomend doing a coil lift or just going with a leveling kit and flat fenders? i am ready to order the 2.5 from teraflex but keep seeing threads where people are not doing much a lift anymore.

That part is really a budget matter. If you can do a 2.5 coil Id think coils will usually work better than a spacer lift but plenty of guys run spacers and 35's so it will work.

Not sure if just a leveling kit will work with 35's maybe someone else can chime in on that. I thought 33's were the biggest you could go with just leveling the front. Im learning lower is better for stability on and off road and you dont need much lift on the JK to stuff good size tires under it.

I have a 3.5 inch lift and run 37's and have plenty of space

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
yeah i am trying to stay with the lower lift, just want to do it right the first time around and be happy for a long time as i dont plan on going over 35s

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
edit

so went to my local tire guy, ended up with Nitto for $315 ea installed which was better than any deals online, cant wait to get them installed now

Last edited:
Top Bottom