Build JK or Get a 2nd vehicle / Weekend Crawler

Trevo

I've been looking around at options, and I mean I didn't even think of this before....It's like a lightbulb went off in my head.......but for the money I plan on dropping just to get 37s under my JKU (PR44/37s/regear/lockers. then also needing a trail 60 eventually and still can't even run 40's on it. I could just buy an already built up zj/xj or something like this: https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/5372955494.html

I've found several rigs with 14bolt rears, ford 9" rears anywhere from running 37s-40in tires already built out with armor, lockers, gears ranging from 9k-13k few ZJs, and a few XJs. It seems like instead of beating up my DD on trails I should just get a 2nd vehicle and leave the JKU alone....not to mention these are a ton cheaper to modify for crawling. I also don't have inspections where I live either. These aren't trailered rigs either, can drive them to and from the trail, or commute with it as well. I only drive 6 miles for work a day.

Are there any downsides to these rigs? I knew there was a reason I see a lot of these on the trails around CO :cheesy::cheesy: - seems like you just pay more for the JKU because of its heritage / name. "JK"

Thoughts?

catahoula

Caught the Bug
That would be a fun rig. When I was in NC there were a bunch of guys that used rock buggy's and would trailer them to trails. You would get a turn key rig that way providing it was built well.

BTW, your rig looks nice with the trimmed flares.:thumb:

swampdog

To me, most of the pride in my jeep is building it myself and putting in the time turning wrenches and learning how it works. Buying a pre-built machine just doesn't do it for me. I bought the Jeep for its capabilities, and leaving it in the driveway to huck a Suzuki up a tougher obstacle goes against my personal reason for buying the jeep - to hone my skills on the trail and to slowly build my jeep into exactly what I want it to be.

Last edited:

Petzl88

I have a 2015 Rubicon and have been thinking hard about getting a weekend crawler. Probably a TJ. I want something that I can beat up and it will be a while before I beat the crap out of my JK, at least until it is paid off which will be a few years!

I like the reliability of the new JK but my buddy has a trailered TJ that he wheels the crap out of. I want both but don't have the money right now!

Trevo

That would be a fun rig. When I was in NC there were a bunch of guys that used rock buggy's and would trailer them to trails. You would get a turn key rig that way providing it was built well.

BTW, your rig looks nice with the trimmed flares.:thumb:

Yeah, that thing looks really well built.

And thanks, I got a little sloppy with it, but it looks good for the most part. I had to use a sawzall....didn't want to have to unbolt the fenders to do it. It worked excellent offroad...no more rubbing at full flex.

To me, most of the pride in my jeep is building it myself and putting in the time turning wrenches and learning how it works. Buying a pre-built machine just doesn't do it for me. I bought the Jeep for its capabilities, and leaving it in the driveway to huck a Suzuki up a tougher obstacle goes against my personal reason for buying the jeep - to hone my skills on the trail and to slowly build my jeep into exactly what I want it to be.

If I had a nice heated garage and a lot of tools then sure. Also I just posted the suzuki as an example of what you can get for the money. I doubt I'd go with it. I'm looking more towards a ZJ 5.9, no need for a v8 swap then either. Another $15k+ saved...

I have a 2015 Rubicon and have been thinking hard about getting a weekend crawler. Probably a TJ. I want something that I can beat up and it will be a while before I beat the crap out of my JK, at least until it is paid off which will be a few years!

I like the reliability of the new JK but my buddy has a trailered TJ that he wheels the crap out of. I want both but don't have the money right now!

Yeah...TJs are up there. An XJ or ZJ is more affordable for my situation.

I also want to be able to wheel the shit out of it, and if it breaks oh well. It sits and gets fixed when money permits....dents and dings who cares. Lol

Don't get me wrong though, there is something very appealing to having a badass built JKU. But with my income, it would take 10years to get it where I want it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom