Dents in my stabilizer!!! Please help

RageKage

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453760526.044804.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453760577.822542.jpg
So besides my stabilizer bars being mounted in a horrible spot (in front instead of above the tie rod) I just saw I had two dents from the clamps on the drag link. Can I spin that so the bolts are out of the way and don't contact again? Or do I have to purchase a new part? Ultimately want to switch to a PSC system just don't have the funds right now.

crowrb29

You shouldn't need two steering stabilizers. Buy a stock one and it'll be enough. It would probably be the cheapest fix. If you start moving your drag link around to get it out of the way,it's going to move your steering wheel.

Also those clamps should line up with the small opening in the drag link so that their clamping force is actually clamping down on something.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1453761107.974102.jpg

Like this

JKRicky

Honestly, you don't even need the second stabilizer (dented one) let alone any at all. If it were me, I would at least pull off the one causing you problems and call it a day.

RageKage

You shouldn't need two steering stabilizers. Buy a stock one and it'll be enough. It would probably be the cheapest fix. If you start moving your drag link around to get it out of the way,it's going to move your steering wheel.

Also those clamps should line up with the small opening in the drag link so that their clamping force is actually clamping down on something.

View attachment 184431

Like this

Yea I know now that if everything is good and straight on my steering components I don't need any stabilizers. Stupid mistake on my part for getting the duals. So from what it looks like the drag link prolly just loosened and fell? And I just need to recenter it? Would I need to do an alignment or anything as well?

RageKage

Also I have a slight case of death wobble so I plan on removing the stabilizers all together for a few days to diagnose and fix the problem. Already torqued the track bar anything else I should look at when doing this or other components to check are torqued?

WJCO

Meme King
Any steering component play, track bar play, or control arm bushing play can cause DW. Tires out of balance and poor caster can contribute as well. If up the road you decide to keep a stabilizer, you can probably figure out away to move it up like I did, out of the way. It has to be perfectly placed though so it doesn't hit on anything during steering. I have a stock one in the normal location too but will take it off when it breaks or when I feel like it.

jeep (13).jpg

RageKage

Any steering component play, track bar play, or control arm bushing play can cause DW. Tires out of balance and poor caster can contribute as well. If up the road you decide to keep a stabilizer, you can probably figure out away to move it up like I did, out of the way. It has to be perfectly placed though so it doesn't hit on anything during steering. I have a stock one in the normal location too but will take it off when it breaks or when I feel like it.

View attachment 184435

Did you make that mount yourself? I like how up and out of the way it is. Also, does the stabilizer have to be on a certain component? Ours aren't in the same spot. Or is it just as long as it's on a steering component it will do its job?

crowrb29

Yea I know now that if everything is good and straight on my steering components I don't need any stabilizers. Stupid mistake on my part for getting the duals. So from what it looks like the drag link prolly just loosened and fell? And I just need to recenter it? Would I need to do an alignment or anything as well?

You shouldn't need to do a full alignment. The only thing they can set is your toe and adjust your drag link to re center your steering wheel. Maybe check your caster too. I'm under the assumption you have adjustable control arms since you have a pretty tall lift.

This will help with everything you need to know about alignment.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment

If you feel like you're having death wobble I recommends you check your trackbar and trackbar mounts for torque settings, ovaled holes, and bad bushings. Then work your way around the rest of your suspension from there.

This is a great DW resource.

http://wayalife.com/content.php?124...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

WJCO

Meme King
Did you make that mount yourself? I like how up and out of the way it is. Also, does the stabilizer have to be on a certain component? Ours aren't in the same spot. Or is it just as long as it's on a steering component it will do its job?

Mine came in a kit from Kevin's Off Road. It goes between the draglink and the trackbar so it essentially does the same thing. I don't know if it would fit the same on a JK but it's basically the same suspension and axle so it should fit somehow, or someone should offer a kit similar for the jk. I know there are basic relocation kits available that put your stabilizer above the tie rod.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mine came in a kit from Kevin's Off Road. It goes between the draglink and the trackbar so it essentially does the same thing. I don't know if it would fit the same on a JK but it's basically the same suspension and axle so it should fit somehow, or someone should offer a kit similar for the jk. I know there are basic relocation kits available that put your stabilizer above the tie rod.

A WJ front end is way different than the JK front end so there is no way to mount them the same way without major fab work.

Op- as other have mentioned you are just masking issues with the dual steering stabilizer. Ditch the second one and run only one. Also for the one you can buy a steering stabilizer relocation bracket which flips the stabilizer on top of the tie rod and away from kissing rocks like it would in the stock location.

RageKage

You shouldn't need to do a full alignment. The only thing they can set is your toe and adjust your drag link to re center your steering wheel. Maybe check your caster too. I'm under the assumption you have adjustable control arms since you have a pretty tall lift.

Yea I have adjustable control arms. Would those need to be adjusted or would adjusting them help any?

RageKage

A WJ front end is way different than the JK front end so there is no way to mount them the same way without major fab work.

Op- as other have mentioned you are just masking issues with the dual steering stabilizer. Ditch the second one and run only one. Also for the one you can buy a steering stabilizer relocation bracket which flips the stabilizer on top of the tie rod and away from kissing rocks like it would in the stock location.

Yea after reading and doing more research I found that out about the masking and basically overkill with duals. Would the mount have to be specific to the lift or is it a universal mount?

crowrb29

Yea after reading and doing more research I found that out about the masking and basically overkill with duals. Would the mount have to be specific to the lift or is it a universal mount?
They have a variety of different options that cost in the 50-100 dollar ball park
Yea I have adjustable control arms. Would those need to be adjusted or would adjusting them help any?
Adjusting the front lowers would adjust your caster if it's out of spec. That would make it feel more stable and less "flighty". The issue you described sounds less like a caster issue and more like something loose or worn from the front end.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Nope it doesn't need to be specific. I ran the synergy SS flip bracket for a while. It was around $50 so it was at the price point I was willing to pay.

Top Bottom