Bds 4inch not much out there

rogerk93

So today I was able to drive a buddies jeep it had a 4 inch bds suspension and it drove fantastic. It was very smooth on the road and it absorbed the hits pretty nicely. Plus note it was a Manuel and I hate myself for not getting my jeep with a manual transmission. I fell in love with it. As my time for a lift is coming up in about 2 weeks time I have my eyes set on a complete 4 inch Currie lift. But after driving that I'm wondering people's thought on the two?

rogerk93

Have you ridden in a jeep with a Currie lift?

No I haven't. Everyone around here has either has bds or teraflex. In another form Eddie mentioned that he thought Currie offers the best control arm due to both ends being Johnny joints. After that I looked into them more and found that the lift was a pretty good lift all around. With everyone using bds or teraflex I like to try something different and I haven't found any negative comments about that lift so I wanted to give them a go.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
No I haven't. Everyone around here has either has bds or teraflex. In another form Eddie mentioned that he thought Currie offers the best control arm due to both ends being Johnny joints. After that I looked into them more and found that the lift was a pretty good lift all around. With everyone using bds or teraflex I like to try something different and I haven't found any negative comments about that lift so I wanted to give them a go.

Agreed on the control arms joints, you can get them separately if you want. The BDS springs and whatever shocks they had gave you the ride you like. I recommend getting that.

rogerk93

Agreed on the control arms joints, you can get them separately if you want. The BDS springs and whatever shocks they had gave you the ride you like. I recommend getting that.

I already have the king 2.5 shocks siting in the box just waiting on pairing them with a kit. Not many people use the Currie lift for some reason. I've been looking around for a while and it is pretty tough to find much info. The only thing I don't like is the drop pitman arm but that can be easily fixed.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
The quality between BDS and Currie is night and day.
Currie is far superior in weld quality and design. The JJ is 10x if not 100x better than the BDS joints. Not to mention BDS uses thinner walled tubing for the control arms. It's really light stuff.

I removed a BDS long arm off a JK and replaced it with a Fulltraction kit. The difference there was night and day. We threw the BDS in the trash.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I already have the king 2.5 shocks siting in the box just waiting on pairing them with a kit. Not many people use the Currie lift for some reason. I've been looking around for a while and it is pretty tough to find much info. The only thing I don't like is the drop pitman arm but that can be easily fixed.

Currie uses dual rate coils not a fan. That's why I would go Evo enforcer. Still uses Currie JJ but it gives you a better softer coil IMO.

turbineguy

I know this is going to be unpopular, but I started out with a 3" BDS lift. It was a lift, shocks, trackbars, front lower CA, rear upper CA.

I then drank the cool aid and switched to full game changer Metal Cloak with Rancho 9000s. (All 8 CA's, springs, trackbars, etc...)

The BDS lift rode so much better. I got numerous compliments on how well it handled.

Additionally, my MC trackbar went bad and gave me DW after a month. I switched all steering components out for Synergy.

I'm not a fan of my current lift. Its not horrible, but its not spectacular.

I would have no problem going back to BDS, if I had to.

I've spoken to several people who run BDS here in Idaho (jeeps on the trail)... since a local shop deals with them, and they are also happy.

Note: I am going to a CA system next, but figured Id relate my 1st hand knowledge on the subject.

Disclaimer: Currie or Evo or Rancho could be better than BDS, but I do know I liked my BDS better than my MC.

Last edited:

rogerk93

The quality between BDS and Currie is night and day.
Currie is far superior in weld quality and design. The JJ is 10x if not 100x better than the BDS joints. Not to mention BDS uses thinner walled tubing for the control arms. It's really light stuff.

I removed a BDS long arm off a JK and replaced it with a Fulltraction kit. The difference there was night and day. We threw the BDS in the trash.

That was one major reason why I didn't want to install a bds lift. I want a lift that can take a beating. I've done a good amount of damage to my jeep but it's all stock parts and going to be thrown out in a few weeks. Looking at the bds components it doesn't look too beefy.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I know this is going to be unpopular, but I started out with a 3" BDS lift. It was a lift, shocks, trackbars, front lower CA, rear upper CA.

I then drank the cool aid and switched to full game changer Metal Cloak with Rancho 9000s.

The BDS lift rode so much better. I got numerous compliments on how well it handled.

I'm not a fan of my current lift. Its not horrible, but its not spectacular.

I would have no problem going back to BDS.

I should note, the BDS did ride nice.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That was one major reason why I didn't want to install a bds lift. I want a lift that can take a beating. I've done a good amount of damage to my jeep but it's all stock parts and going to be thrown out in a few weeks. Looking at the bds components it doesn't look too beefy.

If you like the ride, buy the coils and shocks. Throw Currie lower fronts on it, buy bump stops, sway bar links, rear TB bracket, DL flip and call it a day.

It's just cheaper to buy it in kit form like the Evo, one of the reasons I suggested that.

rogerk93

There are plenty of jeeps around my area that run a bds suspension. But most are all just because of looks. The few people who I talked to and actually wheel it says the same. I plan on going with the Currie 4inch. I've spent 6 months or so looking at different lifts before the time came to lift it. I'm going to lift it in a few weeks and am tired with how many different lifts I've set my mind on lol. One factor I like about the kit is the fact that it is a complete kit most or all company's are always missing a few parts that are needed.

Ctimrun

It's been a few years but I had the 4" Currie kit on my 2008 4dr Rubicon and it was a nice kit. Very complete kit with top quality parts. If I was looking for a short arm lift I would get Currie arms before any other control arms, then find a good spring to go along with them, prob an EVO Spring. I do like EVO's front lower arms as the length of them can be adjusted without undoing an end to adjust it, plus they also have Johnny Joints at both ends. My only complaint with the Currie kit (if you could call it a complaint, more just something to consider) is it gave me more than 4" of lift. If I remember correctly it gave me about 5.5" of lift, maybe a little more, which turned out to be a little over 5" once it settled over about a month (I had Hanson stubby bumpers and a Warn 9.5ti). It made my new 35's too small. I think you are making a good decision if you decide to go Currie, I don't think you can go wrong with the Currie kit. :thumb:

Last edited:

JKbrick

If you like the ride, buy the coils and shocks. Throw Currie lower fronts on it, buy bump stops, sway bar links, rear TB bracket, DL flip and call it a day.

It's just cheaper to buy it in kit form like the Evo, one of the reasons I suggested that.

I agree with this especially since you said you already have the Kings purchased. I pieced together different parts I thought were the best parts and while I'm happy with it all I spent more than I should/could have

AC1977

I run a BDS 3" lift on my 08 Rubi, I've considered many times swapping it out for a better lift system. The ride is ok now, but it took weeks of replacing suspension parts and steering parts before I got it there.
I called BDS for info about the lift because I was experiencing death wobble, they told me I needed new Fox 2.0 shocks and a new Fox steering dampener, WRONG! I was not happy that they tried to sell me expensive components that would not have solved my problem.
I did my homework and resolved the DW issue , and to be clear, the BDS lift was not the cause of the DW. I have just not been happy with the ride quality or customer service so far.

twoxstreem

After having the BDS kit, I would recommend a more complete kit.

I had the BDS short arm 4.5" kit on my 4 door with bds fox shocks. The new adj. BDS Gen 2 arms which are very stout. They have a johnny joint on one end and optional rubber bushings on the other end.

The MAJOR draw back is the drop pitman arm and stiff fox shocks. I recommend keeping the stock pitman arm and getting a drag link flip kit. The BDS kits come with a track bar relocation bracket which is very similar to EVO or Synergy so the geometry works great with a flip kit.

I ended up also swapping the coils out for evo 4" plush rides with king 2.5 adj shocks and of course replaced the drop pitman arm with a stock pitman and a drag link flip kit.

I also installed geometry correction brackets to lower the geometry of the lower control arms which makes a noticeable improvement for highway driving.

Its all personal preference but I found the BDS Coils and drop pitman arm really made the ride uncomfortable.

I also needed adj front and rear track bars to center everything as well as a front drive shaft and new brake lines.

The BDS quick disco are junk. Mine wore out almost immediarely and would "click" while normal driving so i installed the JKS disco which are silent.

After all that I am now in the market for a long arm kit and will most likely go with Clayton long arm upgrade.

Here is a pick of the front adj upper and adj lower Gen 2 Control arms. Very high quality.

IMG_3480.jpg

Good luck with your search.

Top Bottom