highest gear in 4 low ?

Pastor Scott

Just wondering something
While running in some deep snow I needed to wheel speed of 4 low but speed of a higher gear
So I ran my manual tranny in 2 gear 4 low. Is that ok and how high of a gear could we run in 4 low before blowing it

thanks

Pastor Scott

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I dont want to be wrong, but I have used 4th gear before with no issues since its still slow in 4-lo.

Gregory

I've been told that if you need some wheel speed in low range that 5th gear is your best bet because it's a 1:1 ratio and the strongest gear in the transmission.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Just wondering something
While running in some deep snow I needed to wheel speed of 4 low but speed of a higher gear
So I ran my manual tranny in 2 gear 4 low. Is that ok and how high of a gear could we run in 4 low before blowing it

thanks

Pastor Scott

I've had my jeep in 4lo and 5th & 6th gear MANY times... no issue. i'm not wide open throttle'n it, but no issues as far as I can tell from being sane about it. :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
IIRC the 5 speed automatic trans is limited to 1-3 in 4Low also?? :thinking:

IDK. I don't have my manual handy & site doesn't say anything about gear...

edit - manual only says do not exceed 25mph. nothing about which gear is acceptable.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I've ran 6th gear as fast as I could drive it for a long time on the JKX . It's fine..,

Although I did blow the motor up when I got home.. Ummmmmm

JoeB-JKURX

When you think about it, the only thing you should have to worry about is the engine RPMs. In 4-Lo, with the manual tranny gearing at 4.10, it is pretty easy to get the revs up in a hurry. If you have the Rubicon, it goes up even easier. I frequently drive my 2014 Rubicon in 4th, 5th, and 6th - 4 Lo at normal RPMs (2000-4000) and, generally don't even use 1st-Lo (generally 2nd, 3rd and even 4th on occasion) for start from stop unless crawling over large rocks, ledges.

KJ_CJtoJK

When you think about it, the only thing you should have to worry about is the engine RPMs. In 4-Lo, with the manual tranny gearing at 4.10, it is pretty easy to get the revs up in a hurry. If you have the Rubicon, it goes up even easier. I frequently drive my 2014 Rubicon in 4th, 5th, and 6th - 4 Lo at normal RPMs (2000-4000) and, generally don't even use 1st-Lo (generally 2nd, 3rd and even 4th on occasion) for start from stop unless crawling over large rocks, ledges.

^^^ Agree.

I think the only reason there is a recommended 25 MPH limit is because the stability control is off in low range. With a stock Rubicon with 4.10 gears at 25 MPH in 5th gear RPM's are around 4400.

Top Bottom