Driveshaft options

RageKage

So I'm looking at finally replacing my driveshafts. Currently looking at Tom Woods 1310 double cardon. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions of other brands?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I'm looking at finally replacing my driveshafts. Currently looking at Tom Woods 1310 double cardon. Anyone have any experience with these or have any suggestions of other brands?

They are cheap for a reason.

Look at Adams, je reel, or coast instead.

I agree with Cozdude. I'm in Utah where Woods are made. Woods has become synonymous with "Chinese" made ujoints. My other point would be why replace with a 1310 when they come with a factory equivalent to a 1330. Put a 1350 in.

RageKage

I agree with Cozdude. I'm in Utah where Woods are made. Woods has become synonymous with "Chinese" made ujoints. My other point would be why replace with a 1310 when they come with a factory equivalent to a 1330. Put a 1350 in.

I was unaware of woods and Chinese made ujoints. Thanks for pointing that out. Never knew that stock was the same as a 1330. Thanks guys! I'll look at those other companies.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I have heard a lot of complaints about Woods, especially with the driveshaft being unbalanced. I bought my front drive shaft from CarolinaDrivelines. I have had great costumer service with them and have they been building driveshafts around 30 years.

DGP

So I guess I'll be the guy to admit I'm running a 1310 Tom woods front shaft on my JKU. I've had it about 2 years and I'm running 35's, 4.10 stock gears and a rubi-crawler. I went with a 1310 so it would be my weak link and I've yet to have any issues. I didn't know they had a bad rep. From what I've learned since I will probably have a shop build my rear shaft when it's time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, unless you specifically upgrade the u-joints to a set of Spicer or made in the USA Neapco, Tom Woods will sell you a drive shaft with his "Gold Seal" Chinese made u-joints. I have personally seen these u-joints fail time and time again and if you insists on getting one of his drive shafts, I would strongly recommend you pay for the upgraded joints.

That being said, if you have a local drive line shop, I might recommend that you buy a shaft from them. Just like wheels and tires, a drive shaft is something that you will want to have balanced from time to time and like any moving component, it's also something you'll want to have rebuilt as needed as a regular part of maintenance. The sooner you can develop a relationship with a shop, the better. If you don't have a local shop near by, I have run Reel and Coast drive shafts with good results and I know others have had good experiences with Adam's as well.

RageKage

Thanks guys. I've looked at the Adams and reels and I have decided in going to go wth one of those. Now just to decide which one. Leaning towards the Adams 1350 with the spicer u joints.

robx251

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. I've looked at the Adams and reels and I have decided in going to go wth one of those. Now just to decide which one. Leaning towards the Adams 1350 with the spicer u joints.

I have Adams front and real, been very happy and have a buddy running one on his TJ with a sye kit and extremely happy. Good choice

Top Bottom