Tie Rod

Slavens

Caught the Bug
So yesterday I bowed my factory tie rod pretty good. Strapped the winch to it pulled it straight enough to finish my day of wheeling and got it home.

Question is -

1. Best Option out there to replace it with?
2. Does replacing the tie rod with these super heavy duty replacements create a weak spot some place else?

Thank you Gents!

Attachments

• 1454262250352.jpg
    1454262250352.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 225

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you have the room in your garage, pick up a cheap Harbor Freight shop press and use it to straighten out your factory tie-rod. This is what I used to straighten mine out until I could get around to buying a Currie tie-rod. As mentioned, the Currie is the best I have seen but it is pricy. At the last SEMA, I had seen a tie-rod made by Steer Smarts and even one from Rubicon Express that might be a good option too.

jeeeep

Hooked
check out the steer smarts yeti tie rod.

I've got the tie rod / draglink on order, time to replace the noisy Synergy stuff.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
If you have the room in your garage, pick up a cheap Harbor Freight shop press and use it to straighten out your factory tie-rod. This is what I used to straighten mine out until I could get around to buying a Currie tie-rod. As mentioned, the Currie is the best I have seen but it is pricy. At the last SEMA, I had seen a tie-rod made by Street Smarts and even one from Rubicon Express that might be a good option too.

Appreciate the response Eddie! Harbor Frieght is down the street and then I'll get to ordering that Currie. There goes the tax return. .lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciate the response Eddie! Harbor Frieght is down the street and then I'll get to ordering that Currie. There goes the tax return. .lol

LOL!! Well, the benefit of getting a press is that you can and will end up using it for other things and for about $100, it makes for a pretty cheap fix. That being said, I might price out the other two options I had mentioned as they weren't available to me back in the day and they might be just as good of a solution.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
Understood - I will check them all out. Bummer was I didn't get it straight enough before driving home and killed a tire pretty much :/ live and learn. Still a great day out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Understood - I will check them all out. Bummer was I didn't get it straight enough before driving home and killed a tire pretty much :/ live and learn. Still a great day out there.

Unfortunately, you can't really do much to fix a tie-rod with a winch. What you need to do next time is hook up a chain to the tie-rod and to another Jeep and then give it a slight but sudden tug. If you had a stick, you could just put the transmission in reverse and let off the clutch out quick for a second and that'll do the trick.

JKbrick

Unfortunately, you can't really do much to fix a tie-rod with a winch. What you need to do next time is hook up a chain to the tie-rod and to another Jeep and then give it a slight but sudden tug. If you had a stick, you could just put the transmission in reverse and let off the clutch out quick for a second and that'll do the trick.

Question, if you bent your tie rod toward the axle could you winch to a tree with a tree saver and a snatch block to pull it forward? I just got a winch and haven't gotten accessories for it or even used it yet

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question, if you bent your tie rod toward the axle could you winch to a tree with a tree saver and a snatch block to pull it forward? I just got a winch and haven't gotten accessories for it or even used it yet

You could try but you would find that you would start pulling your Jeep toward the tree before the tie-rod pull out enough and stayed that way. You have to remember that a hit big enough to cause the tie-rod to bend will also need a jerk back out and hard enough to pull it out.

jeeeep

Hooked
why is your synergy setup noisy?

the drag link and tie rod have always had too much flop for my preference. I did get the spacers to control the tie rod flop but I've never cared for the straight bar design.

I was only going to replace the drag link with the steer smarts top mount drag link (flip kit) and got a hair up my ass and decided to get rid of all the synergy parts.

the heim joint on the track bar is noisy.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Currie HD Tie Rod System is worth every penny. I had it on my TJ before doing the Rubicon Trail. I'm getting on put on my JK. I's $800 more than the TJ HD system but worth it.

CommandoHD

The answer to your second question:
While a super heavy duty tie rod can better stand up to the stress of a good day on the rocks, it moves the vulnerability to the tie rod ends. It's cheaper and easier to carry a spare tie rod then to replace the ends after you rescue your rig from the rock garden. Plus, when you save someone else with your spare tie rod, you are the trail hero for being so prepared and are due an extra bottle of beer at the campground that evening.
Just my two cents...

WJCO

Meme King
The answer to your second question:
While a super heavy duty tie rod can better stand up to the stress of a good day on the rocks, it moves the vulnerability to the tie rod ends. It's cheaper and easier to carry a spare tie rod then to replace the ends after you rescue your rig from the rock garden. Plus, when you save someone else with your spare tie rod, you are the trail hero for being so prepared and are due an extra bottle of beer at the campground that evening.
Just my two cents...

Welcome to WAL.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
If you have the room in your garage, pick up a cheap Harbor Freight shop press and use it to straighten out your factory tie-rod. This is what I used to straighten mine out until I could get around to buying a Currie tie-rod. As mentioned, the Currie is the best I have seen but it is pricy. At the last SEMA, I had seen a tie-rod made by Steer Smarts and even one from Rubicon Express that might be a good option too.

Started looking this morning and you weren't kidding that Currie is not cheap :crazyeyes:. Already emailed Drew this morning to see what's out there but i will be doing some homework. Thank you again for the others you mentioned as well.

Top Bottom