Gascap and CEL...a different problem

loscann48

I've looked through a few threads that have the same lights and the same codes, but I haven't found one that addresses my problem (could have missed it'd though, so sorry if there is one). 0456 and 0457 gas cap loose and small evap system leak. I Found a broken piece on top of gas tank, which is most likely why it's throwing the codes, but I don't know what it's called or if it's replaceable. I can't find the part for sale by looking at parts diagrams on quadratec, anyone have any idea? In the attached pic, the broken piece is one of the hose connectors coming off the white circular piece ontop of tank. Hose appears to follow the filler hose. Is it replaceable without replacing tank? What is it called if it is?

Attachments

• 1454285004710.jpg
    1454285004710.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 210

jeeeep

Hooked
I've looked through a few threads that have the same lights and the same codes, but I haven't found one that addresses my problem (could have missed it'd though, so sorry if there is one). 0456 and 0457 gas cap loose and small evap system leak. I Found a broken piece on top of gas tank, which is most likely why it's throwing the codes, but I don't know what it's called or if it's replaceable. I can't find the part for sale by looking at parts diagrams on quadratec, anyone have any idea? In the attached pic, the broken piece is one of the hose connectors coming off the white circular piece ontop of tank. Hose appears to follow the filler hose. Is it replaceable without replacing tank? What is it called if it is?

it's a one piece unit - those white parts are melted/heat seamed into the tank.

I've found the prices for these type are parts are cheaper from stevewhiteparts and they're mopar oem parts as well

jeeeep

Hooked
you might try 3M-5200, it does seal and is a permanent fix so if it doesn't work you won't be able to remove it.
I successfully used it when I had a boat.

loscann48

Well, since I had some in the house, I decided to give super glue a shot first...and my CEL and gascap lights have cleared. Hoping this holds long enough for emissions.

WJCO

Meme King
Well, since I had some in the house, I decided to give super glue a shot first...and my CEL and gascap lights have cleared. Hoping this holds long enough for emissions.

Nice. You can always try Flex Seal too for similar issues, that stuff rocks for those kind of applications.

loscann48

Nice. You can always try Flex Seal too for similar issues, that stuff rocks for those kind of applications.

Thanks, I'll have to keep that in mind. I think I'm going to pick something like that or the 3m sealant and apply to the outside of the broken connection in an effort to reinforce the repair.

dwvninety

I have used brush-on electrical tape on items I wanted to seal before Flex Seal came to the market.

Electrical Tape.JPG

loscann48

I had the same issue about 3 mo ago on my 2011 JKU, except gas was leaking from the crack when the tank was full. The new tank was over $750, so I tried to patch it. Below is what I used. So far so good.

I cleaned it good with brake cleaner, and applied several coats of the seal-all.

http://www.amazon.com/Seal-All-380011-Seal-All®-oz-Adhesive/dp/B0000AXYZG

I almost choked when I realized the price of a new tank. I have used Seal All before on my lawn tractor, completely forgot about that stuff.

WJCO

Meme King
I almost choked when I realized the price of a new tank. I have used Seal All before on my lawn tractor, completely forgot about that stuff.

Any dealer molded or formed part is a ton of $. Hope the repair lasts for you.

loscann48

Problem still persists despite the CEL going off. I used an epoxy and appeared to fix the leak, however I failed my emissions. After failing my emissions I hooked up the code reader and I'm still getting P0456 despite the CEL and gas cap light shutting off on their own. Anyone know why the lights would reset but still have the faults in the computer?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Usually you need to drive quite a bit before your ECU will be inspections ready, which may be why you failed (assuming you don't have a CEL on the dash.) I was gonna say that you should just silicone around that part to make sure you have a nice airtight and permanent seal. Usually it takes a few days of driving (it all depends on the vehicle and ECU) and no CEL for the emissions testing to be possible. You can't just clear a CEL and pass inspection.

loscann48

CEL went off on its own, and I have driven through almost 4 tanks of gas. When I run a system check it says all checks are complete except the O2 say incomplete.

Moochie

I had to drive about 500 miles to have all my emissions monitors activate. All because I had my battery disconnected for a short time. I used a scanner to make sure all was good before I took it in for a test. No check engine light was ever on.

Moochie

CEL went off on its own, and I have driven through almost 4 tanks of gas. When I run a system check it says all checks are complete except the O2 say incomplete.

It was my O2 sensor monitor that took the longest to show OK.

loscann48

It was my O2 sensor monitor that took the longest to show OK.

Yep, that's seems to be what I'm waiting for. I have driven at least 800 miles since battery was disconnected and that sensor hasn't reset. However, My OBDII reader is also still showing P0456 despite no lights on.

Moochie

Yep, that's seems to be what I'm waiting for. I have driven at least 800 miles since battery was disconnected and that sensor hasn't reset. However, My OBDII reader is also still showing P0456 despite no lights on.

I was thinking one of my 4 - O2 sensors was bad but, they all turned out to be good.

Top Bottom