Hill assist

jagrubb99

That's a good one... To the OP, HSA is typically more useful to owners with manual transmissions. When starting on an incline, the HSA continues to apply the brakes for approximately 3 seconds to prevent you from rolling backwards when you are switching from the brake pedal to the gas

Last edited:
There is also a Hill Decent that is used when going down hill on the trails to help you crawl down. It is only on the automatics.

Ddays

Hooked
On Jeeps the Hill Descent only works in 4lo and it's intended to work on really steep grades at low speeds. It automatically applies the brakes leaving you to take care of the steering.
It's nothing like a tow button or similar systems on vehicles equipped with one where it keeps the vehicle in a lower gear to help with engine braking on long downhill grades. I honestly have only played with it a little as I've never really had the need to use it where I've wheeled it so far.

The HSA holds the brakes on for a few seconds after you remove your foot from the pedal when you are stopped on a hill.

toxicwaste29

I used mine only when first learning the manual but that even lasted for only a couple weeks. I find it more annoying then useful for dd

loscann48

If you are good at driving, never! If you know how to drive manual the disable the feature or retract yourself how to drive with it. I couldn't stand it and almost got into an accident because of it.

mr72

If you are good at driving, never! If you know how to drive manual the disable the feature or retract yourself how to drive with it. I couldn't stand it and almost got into an accident because of it.

I can't imagine how it would cause you to almost get into an accident ... what, you needed your Jeep to roll backwards on a hill, and it didn't, so you somehow almost hit somebody? I don't get it.

Anyway, there's no downside to leaving it on, and most manual transmission drivers will prolong their clutch life by leaving it on. I agree it was surprising the first time I experienced it but like anything if you give yourself a few days of driving with it you will quickly adjust.

I never did understand why so many people are so negative on this feature. I think it's kind of cool and one I got the hang of it (literally, one day) then I began to like it. Of course it helps that my driveway is extremely steep and so I park on a hill every single day.

loscann48

I can't imagine how it would cause you to almost get into an accident ...

Went to pull out the driveway and the hill assist was activated, when I hit the gas the jeep didn't move as much as expected. Jeep stalled and rolled into the lane of travel as someone (who was speeding) came around the corner.

JoeB-JKURX

Black Bear Pass

The only time I've needed the HSA with my 6 speed is on a couple of the Black Bear Pass (Colorado) switchbacks where you have to back up with the front of your Jeep hanging over a cliff. Used that plus using the emergency brake (both in case the other failed). Worked like a charm. I find it irritating in traffic so I generally keep it turned off.

mr72

Went to pull out the driveway and the hill assist was activated, when I hit the gas the jeep didn't move as much as expected. Jeep stalled and rolled into the lane of travel as someone (who was speeding) came around the corner.

This must be a different feature than the "Hill Start Assist" on manual transmission Jeeps. It just applies the brake until you begin forward motion.

Ddays

Hooked
The only time I've needed the HSA with my 6 speed is on a couple of the Black Bear Pass (Colorado) switchbacks where you have to back up with the front of your Jeep hanging over a cliff. Used that plus using the emergency brake (both in case the other failed). Worked like a charm. I find it irritating in traffic so I generally keep it turned off.

Holy shit, I never thought about doing Black Bear with a stick until you posted that! That'd have to be even more hair-raising!

This thread is like trying to talk to a schizophrenic person - there's more than one conversation going on!

HSA operates the brakes only for A FEW SECONDS until you press the skinny pedal. Then its deactivated. I have the same thing on my Durango.

The Hill Descent Control only works in 4LO!

mr72

HSA operates the brakes only for A FEW SECONDS until you press the skinny pedal. Then its deactivated. I have the same thing on my Durango.

Yep, thanks for the clarification. Also, it is only for manual transmission Jeeps. The express purpose is to prevent the vehicle from rolling down a hill during the short time between when your foot goes from the brake pedal to the throttle. Once you begin to operate the throttle the brake is released. I don't know how long it will hold it but I assume those posting here are correct that it is 3 seconds... for me it's only ever been a fraction of one second. It's absolutely seamless and does not affect normal driving at all unless you can't get used to the Jeep not rolling and not requiring you to slip the clutch while trying to maintain position on a hill.

The Hill Descent Control only works in 4LO!

And only with an automatic, if I am not mistaken.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Yep, thanks for the clarification. Also, it is only for manual transmission Jeeps. The express purpose is to prevent the vehicle from rolling down a hill during the short time between when your foot goes from the brake pedal to the throttle. Once you begin to operate the throttle the brake is released. I don't know how long it will hold it but I assume those posting here are correct that it is 3 seconds... for me it's only ever been a fraction of one second. It's absolutely seamless and does not affect normal driving at all unless you can't get used to the Jeep not rolling and not requiring you to slip the clutch while trying to maintain position on a hill.

And only with an automatic, if I am not mistaken.

Yep, thanks for the clarification. Also, it is only for manual transmission Jeeps.

I have an automatic and it has hsa

Was about to post the same thing. My WK2 Grand Cherokee TrailHawk had it, and so does my '15 JKU. Both have the 3.6 and W5A580 auto. I can barely tell it's there. The JK got HSA in 2009.

Kyan

Yep, thanks for the clarification. Also, it is only for manual transmission Jeeps.

I have 2012 auto and it has HSA too.

Only time that it got me by surprise was when I was showing it off to a friend on a steep hill. We headed down, I stopped completely, put it in reverse, and got my foot of the brake pedal (to show off HSA). After couple of seconds, Jeep start rolling forward, I forgot I was still in reverse, Jeep didn't like it and shot the engine off, and then fun drive down the hill started ;-)

mr72

I stand corrected. I didn't realize HSA was available, or even necessary, for auto transmission vehicles.

But I confess great ignorance regarding automatic transmissions. Nearly 3 decades of almost exclusively owning and driving manuals.

allwhitejeeps

I stand corrected. I didn't realize HSA was available, or even necessary, for auto transmission vehicles.

But I confess great ignorance regarding automatic transmissions. Nearly 3 decades of almost exclusively owning and driving manuals.

No problem. I don't know why they have it either but I guess it does kind of help in la traffic if you're on an incline but even on my automatic it requires way too much throttle to reverse up a hill so I could see why it would be dangerous on a manual if you stall

Top Bottom