Running beadlocks (ATX Slabs) on a DD?

D.B.

I have searched the site and found a few topics that touch on this however, I am still left without solid answers to the following questions;

1. Can you run a beadlock wheel on a DD (that is used for wheeling) without fear of deflation and or related issues?

2. Are beadlock wheels (specifically ATX Slab) much heavier that an average non-bead lock wheel.....to the point that you would actually notice a difference in performance of any sort.....breaking, acceleration and so on?

3. Are beadlock wheels hard to get to balance resulting in poor performance with long distant and or daily highway driving?

4. Is a beadlock unnecessary when your not doing any hardcore wheeling? Assuming just the basic practice of airing down will be enough?

Looking at the beadlock wheel in order to avoid ever throwing a bead on the trail using an average wheel and of course the awesome appearance. Maybe I shouldn't even be concerned if I am not really airing down beyond 20 to 25psi with 35" Nitto TG.

Thanks for the input and advise.

Jake Wilson

So a bead lock rims purpose is to keep the tire on the rim when the tire is aired down to bellow 12 psi. Now with that being said, yes it is a little heavier than your standard wheel do to the fact that it has an outer ring that is used to hold the tire to the rim. Would that effect your performace? Probably not enough to notice. Lastly, if you don't plan on airing down below 20 psi than no you would have no reason for a bead lock. :twocents:

turbineguy

I have searched the site and found a few topics that touch on this however, I am still left without solid answers to the following questions;

1. Can you run a beadlock wheel on a DD (that is used for wheeling) without fear of deflation and or related issues?

2. Are beadlock wheels (specifically ATX Slab) much heavier that an average non-bead lock wheel.....to the point that you would actually notice a difference in performance of any sort.....breaking, acceleration and so on?

3. Are beadlock wheels hard to get to balance resulting in poor performance with long distant and or daily highway driving?

4. Is a beadlock unnecessary when your not doing any hardcore wheeling? Assuming just the basic practice of airing down will be enough?

Looking at the beadlock wheel in order to avoid ever throwing a bead on the trail using an average wheel and of course the awesome appearance. Maybe I shouldn't even be concerned if I am not really airing down beyond 20 to 25psi with 35" Nitto TG.

4. You aren't even close to needing a beadlock.

If you like their looks, just get a fake beadlock.

swampdog

You aren't even touching the capability of those tires if you are at 20 psi. Drop those babies to 11psi and let em' eat!

Seriously though, 20 psi will not net you the performance gains that dropping pressure should.

Jackal01

KMC Machete looks great, and apparently will be offered in a functional bead lock as well soon in the near future.

If that is what is on EVO 1 right now that is exactly what I want including the color. Those things are nasty looking!!

Jackal01

Any recommendations on a nice looking "fake" beadlock or wheel?

On Northridge 4x4 (I know, I know...they just have a lot to look at) you can view bead lock and non bead lock. They have quite a bit of sim-bead locks.

Ddays

Hooked

1.) Yes but you want to keep an eye on the ring securing bolts & make sure they don't loosen.
2.) Not necessarily but search ATX's site to find wheel weight & compare to what you are running now.
3.) A lot depends on the tire. Eddie stated in a thread earlier today that he never had to balance the Toyo's he's run. Nitto Trail Graps, yes had to balance, Nitto Mud Graps, not at all.
4.) No its not necessary but being able to air down lower creates more capabilities. Be honest about where you wheel.

Bottom line is it's your money to spend. If you like the looks go for it.

swampdog

If that is what is on EVO 1 right now that is exactly what I want including the color. Those things are nasty looking!!

That's right, but his are the real bead locks, but not the faux ones that I was recommending above. The functional beadlocks have not been released for consumer purchase yet.

Ddays

Hooked

I'm ordering a set of Chamber Pros next week. Already have a powder coater giving me a quote to do mine in the semi-clear yellow gold coating like EVO 1. That look is badass.

I run TrailReady beadlocks and love them. Yes they are heavy but I do use them on my DD and have not lost any psi. Best part is that they are made in America

Jackal01

I'm ordering a set of Chamber Pros next week. Already have a powder coater giving me a quote to do mine in the semi-clear yellow gold coating like EVO 1. That look is badass.

Chamber Pros are my current choice since the machete BLs aren't out yet. How much is the powder coating quote?

JoeB-JKURX

Level 8 Bully Pro

My stock Rubi X wheels got rock-rash pretty quick - I liked the wheels but replaced them with the Level 8 Bully Pro - like the Tracker Pro mentioned earlier - because I wanted less backspace (4.5" for 17" wheels) and the rock rash was getting old. I don't consider them fake (faux) beadlocks because the hard plastic ring has a purpose. It is intended to protect the wheels from scrapes and bashes, is pretty easy to clean up (scratches, gouges) with a sander, and is replaceable when you get tired of looking at the beat up rings (they cost about $30 each to replace). These wheels look great (I've received many comments to that effect) and do a fine job of keeping my 35" KM2s on the rim at 12 psi. You can find a few write-ups about the Level 8 Pro line of wheels in the Supporting Vendor forum under the Discount Tires subforum.

Ddays

Hooked
Chamber Pros are my current choice since the machete BLs aren't out yet. How much is the powder coating quote?

I Don't have it yet. He's gonna ball park it and then give me a hard number when I show him one. He wants to see the wheel & ring before he commits. I'll let you know when I get them.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I Don't have it yet. He's gonna ball park it and then give me a hard number when I show him one. He wants to see the wheel & ring before he commits. I'll let you know when I get them.

I appreciate it.

My chamber pro's came Teflon coated black and then I painted the ring myself. It's strong scratched anyway so it's easier to touch up paint

D.B.

Great info and feedback folks......thanks. Anyone have any input on the TR Simulated beadlock wheels?

Last edited:
Top Bottom