OME Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket

Petzl88

I fubared my OME steering stabilizer mounting bracket. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454386808.966177.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454386821.365772.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454386833.033956.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454386844.168029.jpg

You can easily see that the stabilizer is hitting the JKS track bar. Saturday was my first wheeling trip before putting this thing on. I first thought that the raised axle bracket was hitting the frame at full bump but no evidence there. Then I looked and saw that the silly son of a bitch is touching the track bar at full turn driver (refer to evidence photograph number 4 where there is clear paint erosion and hints of yellow paint on the plaintiff track bar). Good thing the stabilizer is painted yellow.

The tie rod bracket was torqued to spec with a torque wrench. I didn't take into account that the tie rod actually rotates a little bit forward and rearward. I found that out after getting under and messing with it.

This is more of just a rant than anything but if anybody has any helpful hints for my second try, I would love to hear them. I looked into a different tie rod bracket so that the mounting point sits above the tie rod and not an inch or so toward the axle but the damn bushings on the OME stabilizer are too small.

The funny thing is that I pulled the JKS track bar and put the stock one back in with no stabilizer at all, and my steering is even better than before. Maybe I just put the stabilizer on Craigslist?

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I ran into the same issue on my WJ. Same stabilizer, fairly same location. I got lucky before anything bent or broke, I was getting intermittent binding during turns. That stabilizer is a tight fit in that area:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?31128-WJCO-s-Build-Thread-1999-WJ/page4

I ended up cutting the bolt. It looks different than your mounting system though. Mine doesn't have a bracket though. Both ends come with a circular clamp. One goes on the drag link, one goes on the track bar. So did the bracket bend because your stabilizer was hitting the track bar?

WJCO

Meme King
Here's a pic of how mine is mounted. I don't know if you could do something like that.

jeep (13).jpg

Petzl88

So did the bracket bend because your stabilizer was hitting the track bar?

That is what it looks like to me. I'm going to try again and make sure that when the tie rod is rotated back it still clears at full steering lock to the driver side. The only thing I don't understand is what happens when the axle is flexed. The smaller diameter stock track bar will give a little more clearance too, plus it handles better on the road. I have no idea why.

WJCO

Meme King
The smaller diameter stock track bar will give a little more clearance too, plus it handles better on the road. I have no idea why.

I've heard that from a few people. Better handling after putting stock track bar back on. :idontknow: Seems crazy. Good luck.

OJK12

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454436486.143745.jpg
I'm using the rough country bracket on mine with the same track bar and a stock stabilizer without any issues to speak of. Why is the end of your stabilizer so close to the trackbar? Are you running any lift with that setup? Just curious as mine is no where near my trackbar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom