CB Radio melting!!!

brizon85

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone may have a solution or possibly a similar experience to mine. I have a cobra 29 lx tucked away in the tuffy overhead compartment, and I noticed last year that I had some waxy substance that was dripping from the bottom of the speaker grating onto my shifter. I didn't pay much attention for a while but since it was so hot during the summer months I got worried and pulled the whole thing out( which btw the tuffy overhead is a pita to disassemble !!) I then took the radio apart and noticed the waxy substance had melted all over the circuit board. The radio still works fine but I'm not sure if this will cause a future problem. Also does anyone know of a way to keep the damn thing cooler without having to take the tuffy apart each year? thanks all.

I will get some pictures when I get home .

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
WOW! That's crazy! Well umm I'm guessing your tuffy is not letting the CB ventilate and breath and it's like a sauna for the CB with the sun beating down so close to it. Yeah a pic would be awesome. I have my CB above my rear view mirror and sun with hit it all day but never had any problems with it.

Long Haul

check your SWR's also..

If you talk a lot in extended conversations with high SWR's your finals will heat up..

Having it tucked away w/o ventilation isn't doing it any good either..

When I'm running with fellow truckers and are chatting away mine will heat up also....They do get hot with extended use !

swampdog

check your SWR's also..

If you talk a lot in extended conversations with high SWR's your finals will heat up..

Having it tucked away w/o ventilation isn't doing it any good either..

When I'm running with fellow truckers and are chatting away mine will heat up also....They do get hot with extended use !

I haven't got in an extended conversation on the highway with any truckers. Not that I'm opposed to it, but I just figured they'd rather drive in peace than chat with a stranger. From your (truck driver) point of view, is this true?

Long Haul

I haven't got in an extended conversation on the highway with any truckers. Not that I'm opposed to it, but I just figured they'd rather drive in peace than chat with a stranger. From your (truck driver) point of view, is this true?

I'll chat with anyone..

Now a days its harder to find anyone even runnning a radio..

I can ask on ch 19 ten times for road conditions or police reports and may get one or two people to answer..

It seems a lot of these newer truck drivers are wrapped up in other things and it shows (trying to be nice)..

swampdog

I'll chat with anyone..

Now a days its harder to find anyone even runnning a radio..

I can ask on ch 19 ten times for road conditions or police reports and may get one or two people to answer..

It seems a lot of these newer truck drivers are wrapped up in other things and it shows (trying to be nice)..

Same here...I just figured everyone was occupied, but see the antennas everywhere...its a bummer.

Top Bottom