Jeep jk steering issue

rogerk93

My 14 jku with 22k miles started to act up the past few days. When my tires are not in motion the steering is extremely stiff and a odd noise almost like a whining gear. Takes a lot just to turn the tires. I have 33's bfg km2. Going to a 4inch lift and 37's toyo mt next month I wanted to know what is causing this problem before, so I could have the dealer fix it.

WJCO

Meme King
My 14 jku with 22k miles started to act up the past few days. When my tires are not in motion the steering is extremely stiff and a odd noise almost like a whining gear. Takes a lot just to turn the tires. I have 33's bfg km2. Going to a 4inch lift and 37's toyo mt next month I wanted to know what is causing this problem before, so I could have the dealer fix it.

Sounds like a pump problem. Should be under warranty. Make sure your ps fluid is full first and that you have no major leaks.

rogerk93

Sounds like a pump problem. Should be under warranty. Make sure your ps fluid is full first and that you have no major leaks.
I checked the fluids today and it was at the max line. It's odd because it becomes worse when it starts to warm up.

WJCO

Meme King
I checked the fluids today and it was at the max line. It's odd because it becomes worse when it starts to warm up.

If the inside of the pump has an excessive clearance issue, as the fluid warms up and becomes less viscous, symptoms like that can occur. I would have someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you listen to it to ensure noise is coming from the pump. Also make sure belt is tight and that you have nothing in your steering linkage that is mechanically binding that is causing the pump to work harder. It is rare for a pump to fail at that mileage, but that's what it sounds like to me.

rogerk93

If the inside of the pump has an excessive clearance issue, as the fluid warms up and becomes less viscous, symptoms like that can occur. I would have someone else turn the wheel back and forth while you listen to it to ensure noise is coming from the pump. Also make sure belt is tight and that you have nothing in your steering linkage that is mechanically binding that is causing the pump to work harder. It is rare for a pump to fail at that mileage, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Thanks I'll have to do that tomorrow. What would cause that to happen?

Armageddon_JKU

Take it to the dealership! When you go to 37s if you wheel any amount at all, you will want to do a hydro-assist set up. Obviously the PSC is a good kit but pricey…. I run a 2" redneck ram from west Texas offroad and it performs flawlessly for a fraction of the cost

rogerk93

Take it to the dealership! When you go to 37s if you wheel any amount at all, you will want to do a hydro-assist set up. Obviously the PSC is a good kit but pricey…. I run a 2" redneck ram from west Texas offroad and it performs flawlessly for a fraction of the cost

I expect that I will need the ram assist. But that has to come a little later when I can get the money together. With the tires I have now I felt it when off-roading I can imagine it being worse when going to 37's. I'll have to work with what I have now and I want to make sure the dealer can't b*tch about the oversize tires causing the problems

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks I'll have to do that tomorrow. What would cause that to happen?

At your mileage and only on 33s, maybe just a faulty part. That's why you have the warranty. If the dealer seriously gives you shit for 33s, they're being dick heads.

rogerk93

At your mileage and only on 33s, maybe just a faulty part. That's why you have the warranty. If the dealer seriously gives you shit for 33s, they're being dick heads.

I'm taking it to the dealer in the morning. I'm was surprised when they had an opening so soon I usually have to wait a week just to have it looked at. I'll post what happens. I think it is a bad power steering pump when I give it some gas while it is in park it becomes a little easier to turn but makes a sound like it is crying for help.

rogerk93

Dealer just called and they are going to replace the power steering pump under warranty. They also tried to sell me 6 other services with it. Then got upset when I said no. But glad they are going to fix it.

WJCO

Meme King
Dealer just called and they are going to replace the power steering pump under warranty. They also tried to sell me 6 other services with it. Then got upset when I said no. But glad they are going to fix it.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom