07 auto Trans rebuild

Mitrig

Ok so going to keep this short and sweet. My transmission started acting up suddenly and poof, possibly going to have to rebuild it. It had about 80k miles on it. Sad part I flushed all fluids after every trip and made sure everything was always clean and maintained. But that's just the luck of the cards.

So question for all those running the 42rle auto...has anyone had to rebuild it, is it possible to beef up this tranny? Addition cooler? Addition clutches? Larger clutch? I've never had to do something like this before I'd like to do some research and understand more. I'm a mech engineer specializing in suspension so transmission is black box magic in a way to me. I understand how they work but have never had to work on one.

What can be done to beef it up? Is it worth doing anything in addition or back to stock rebuild better off?

JKCRWLR

Not the luck of the cards at all. The 42rle is true piece of crap.
I recently had to replace mine in my 2010 JKRU at just over 54k miles. Sadly I had only had the Jeep for a month at the time.
When the trans shop pulled the transmission they found the markings inside the bell housing that indicated the transmission had already been rebuilt.
So I began researching as you are and asking questions of whether it is common with the 42rle to fail.
The 42rle was built all around Chrysler wanting a transmission that they could produce on the cheap (for them) without any care as to their longevity.

Yes, you should definitely run an auxiliary cooler. I just installed a Hayden 679 Rapid-cool rated suitable for 30,000 lb. GVWR.
Could be overkill but I do not care.

I went with ATS Diesel's 42rle transmission. It is expensive in relation to other options but they beef it up where they can and where it matters.
They beef up the clutch packs, pump assembly and valve body.
Most important to me was that they back it with a 5yr./500k mile warranty. And no, I did not type too many zeroes in the mileage.
I can give you the contact information for the gentleman that assisted me with my purchase.

I have also since re-geared the diffs and hardly use O/D and only use Amsoil fluids. Heat is the big killer of transmissions so anything you can do to keep it cool the better.

Sorry to hear your troubles, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

If you PM your contact info I will be glad to call you to discuss any questions or concerns that you have.

chttrbx

Ok so going to keep this short and sweet. My transmission started acting up suddenly and poof, possibly going to have to rebuild it. It had about 80k miles on it. Sad part I flushed all fluids after every trip and made sure everything was always clean and maintained. But that's just the luck of the cards.

QUOTE]

Just curious if you flushed with the Mopar Transmission fluid each time or some other brand? I just did a pan swap, and filter change. I used the mopar atf+4 for the fill.

Mitrig

I recently had to replace mine in my 2010 JKRU at just over 54k miles. Sadly I had only had the Jeep for a month at the time.
When the trans shop pulled the transmission they found the markings inside the bell housing that indicated the transmission had already been rebuilt.
So I began researching as you are and asking questions of whether it is common with the 42rle to fail.
The 42rle was built all around Chrysler wanting a transmission that they could produce on the cheap (for them) without any care as to their longevity.

Yes, you should definitely run an auxiliary cooler. I just installed a Hayden 679 Rapid-cool rated suitable for 30,000 lb. GVWR.

I went with ATS Diesel's 42rle transmission. It is expensive in relation to other options but they beef it up where they can and where it matters.
Most important to me was that they back it with a 5yr./500k mile warranty. And no, I did not type too many zeroes in the mileage.
I can give you the contact information for the gentleman that assisted me with my purchase.

I have also since re-geared the diffs and hardly use O/D and only use Amsoil fluids. Heat is the big killer of transmissions so anything you can do to keep it cool the better.

If you PM your contact info I will be glad to call you to discuss any questions or concerns that you have.

Ok for one, thank you I will PM you shortly and give you my number at work. I was looking at the ATS 42RLE build last night at the gym and have been impressed by what I have seen thus far. I saw they have a 5yr/500k warrenty. That is amazing!!! But the sad part is its US based. I am in canada so it costs me 1.5 times that price after the exchange rate. :(

QUOTE]

Just curious if you flushed with the Mopar Transmission fluid each time or some other brand? I just did a pan swap, and filter change. I used the mopar atf+4 for the fill.

Yes sir every single trip: before the trip I would check all fluids, do an oil change before, check all diffs, check the tranny and transfer case. then after the trip[ I would come back give the jeep a day with the transfer case, diffs, transmission and oil to drain. I would keep the spacer heater on under the jeep to ensure any moisture is evaporated and any gunked up fluid manages to make it down since durring the winter -30 temps make fluids very thick regardless.

PS everything was changed with moperar recommended fluids. even the rad was flushed often. I swear I am the most meticulous person when it comes to fluids and my powertrian as a whole. literally check everything.

jeeeep

Hooked
not sure you need to go that much expense, I have a 2010 JKUR automatic, 37's, 3.5" lift, 4.88 gears pushing 126000+ miles. Put the lift, gears and 315 tires on it at about 20k mile, regularly tow 5x8 trailer, wheel it and lots of road miles.

I do have a transmission cooler (part of the tow package) but any good plate & fin cooler like B&M, Hayden or Derale will work. I also take it out of OD as soon as I feel the transmission struggle.

I do change the transmission fluid about every 20k miles because of how I use it.

Currently on 37's

you didn't say "how" your transmission has been running odd

WJCO

Meme King

^^ I would go this route as well. ATS is a good company. With transmissions, aftermarket really excels nowadays. If you can find a good builder with a good warranty, you can own a trans that will last a long time. Most independent trans shops have had many different models apart and see similar failures on similar units. They know what things break on certain trannies and know how to modify those parts so it doesn't happen again.

JKCRWLR

not sure you need to go that much expense, I have a 2010 JKUR automatic, 37's, 3.5" lift, 4.88 gears pushing 126000+ miles. Put the lift, gears and 315 tires on it at about 20k mile, regularly tow 5x8 trailer, wheel it and lots of road miles.

I do have a transmission cooler (part of the tow package) but any good plate & fin cooler like B&M, Hayden or Derale will work. I also take it out of OD as soon as I feel the transmission struggle.

I do change the transmission fluid about every 20k miles because of how I use it.

Currently on 37's

That's great to hear you've not had any issues with yours and at 128k as well. Gives me hope that I didn't make a bad purchase after all. I as well as others have not been so fortunate with the 42rle.
I spoke with George on the phone this morning and as stated here mentioned the ATS transmission is on the pricey side and not for everyone. I do however think the money spent is getting you a far superior warranty than with others as well as a better performing transmission.
ATS' warranty covers all but two parts on the transmission you get from them. 1. the output shaft (you reuse the one you have), 2. the transmission case (for obvious reasons). Other than that, if you have an issue with the transmission that you purchase from them, you drop it and ship it to them. They tear apart the transmission to find out the issue. Then rebuild the entire transmission and send it back to you. They do not just swap the part and send back, even if it is the output shaft, rebuild and ship.
For five years or 500,000 miles.

Of course, the other option is to rebuild or have the transmission rebuilt by a local shop and accept their warranty. Typically I have not seen anything better than 12k or 30k mile warranty and when I took my lifted Jeep on 37's to them the shop said, "we do not reman transmissions on lifted Jeeps". Asked why, I was told because they do not want to back the warranty on something they know will get abused.

Now I also know that there are plenty of handy people out there that could chime in and say that they can rebuild the transmission themselves three or more times for what I paid for the transmission.
That is awesome! Definitely a talent that I do not have but have the utmost respect for.

Mitrig

Currently on 37's

Well i am glad to see other rigs running strong. I am not entirely sure what it was that caused the failure. or if it was event preventable with maintence. It really depends on the luck of the cards for some items. I had a 44 housing a cracked running 35s, swapped for a 30 till new housing comes in and i wheel it just as hard without a single issue. everything is a ticking time bomb, just a amtter of when and where. for me that was on the highway between two tractor trailers.

i am hoping the shop gives me a heads up on details and route they recommend. after that I will be talking to Aaron at ATS and seeing what we could work out for a canadian who is tired of slow shifts and not being able to drive his rig

Mitrig

Well because of Canadian customs getting the tranny into the country would cost 9g in taxes and exchange on top of the price so I have found a sand rail shop that focus on jeep transmissions. I will be rebuilding the 42rle to the same build sheet as an ats. The owner of the shop has one in his rig so we have pulled it and ordered all internals, dual coolers, new shifter box, slightly larger clutches and the whole 9 yards. About 3G in adding already. Hoping for better power transfer and cleaner shifts. Plus they were willing to match the 5 year warranty

jeeeep

Hooked
Well because of Canadian customs getting the tranny into the country would cost 9g in taxes and exchange on top of the price so I have found a sand rail shop that focus on jeep transmissions. I will be rebuilding the 42rle to the same build sheet as an ats. The owner of the shop has one in his rig so we have pulled it and ordered all internals, dual coolers, new shifter box, slightly larger clutches and the whole 9 yards. About 3G in adding already. Hoping for better power transfer and cleaner shifts. Plus they were willing to match the 5 year warranty

good you found someone local to do the rebuild, 3G for the total rebuild or just parts?

JKCRWLR

Awesome!! Let us know how it comes out.

Mitrig

good you found someone local to do the rebuild, 3G for the total rebuild or just parts?

3G CAD for everything. Not including flashin the system to recognize the new settings. As well as the labour and inter coolers

Awesome!! Let us know how it comes out.

Will do, thank you for the direction. It helped understand whAt to look for when I knew I couldn't get the Trans shipped to Canada for any resonable cost. So found the one shop that had a good reputation for jeeps and asked for a similar build sheet

Mitrig

And the deed is done. upgraded the entire assembly. shifter box, coolers, gearing, clutches, the whole 9 yards...literally as built as this thing can get. they hooked it up to the dyno and did a displacement test. certified and done. shifts good so far, first egar is a little longer than before, second and 3rd match perfectly and you ca barely see the shift between the two.

Top Bottom