Mods for Rausch Creek Blacks?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I’m starting this thread much in the same light as the current Rubicon Trail Thread that’s going around since there seems to be a fairly strong East Coast constituency on WAL.

For those of you that are regulars at Rausch, do you have any mod suggestions/requirements for folks that are looking to run Black Trails that have a multiple hour drives there?

Just maybe a list of preferred mods that would allow for a good time on the trails and mitigate the fears of having to limp home or worse.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I just looked at your profile and it looks like your good to go for the most part.

I would say sliders, skids, bumpers with recovery points. Basically what you have now.

With 35s you will just need to pick good lines.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have done blacks in my two door on 35's, 2.5" lift, skids, recovery points, winch, and a good spotter. With that set up you will drag and get thru it but a good spotter and a winch will get you thru it. For a 4 door you can do it on the same set up as a 2 door but you will get hung up a lot more. Once again anything is do able on that set up with a good spotter and a good driver.

skitime

I have spent many days running trails at Rausch Creek. One thing you cannot do is be on the trail alone so bring another rig along. I often would go alone but find rigs to run with in the parking lot. You can easily judge rigs of similar ability and simply ask if they would mind if you tagged along. I have never be refused and by the end of the day I have a new group of friends. It is also helpful if you have two-way radios and or a CB. Some groups use two-way radios and some run CBs. Rausch Creek often has a lot of deep mud trails. It makes it interesting and dirty. Some mud holes have warning signs. Heed the warnings signs. Since you are coming a long way you can also camp at Rausch Creek. We usually do that and arrive Friday evening so we can be wheeling and camping for two days and the camping is free. There are of course hotels not too far away as well.

Last edited:

CrazyLarry

I just looked at your profile and it looks like your good to go for the most part.

I would say sliders, skids, bumpers with recovery points. Basically what you have now.

With 35s you will just need to pick good lines.

What he said. I will also add a HD diff cover. Luxurys but not an absolute would be lockers, hydro assist, hi lift jack, spare driveshafts and spare axle shafts

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the input everyone. Just so happens brown Santa brought my CB stuff yesterday so I'm now good on that front.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454542988.605183.jpg

In regards to the camping, would u say it's family friendly or are a lot of people there to party all night?

Also, in regards to getting hung up on 2.5" w/ 35s, are we just talking here and there or often enough that I'd be constantly holding up the group and annoying people?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the input everyone. Just so happens brown Santa brought my CB stuff yesterday so I'm now good on that front.
View attachment 185833

In regards to the camping, would u say it's family friendly or are a lot of people there to party all night?

Also, in regards to getting hung up on 2.5" w/ 35s, are we just talking here and there or often enough that I'd be constantly holding up the group and annoying people?

The free camping in the park is far from family friendly. Their is a campground 5 mins down the road that does primitive camping for $15 that's much better

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
The free camping in the park is far from family friendly. Their is a campground 5 mins down the road that does primitive camping for $15 that's much better

Thanks for the insight. In general, I don't mind the partying or foul language that comes with it but it's a different story when I'm hauling my kids around.

toxicwaste29

I made it across the rock creek with 3.5" lift and my 35s. I had to break out the winch near the end since I got hung up. If I had lockers I likely would have been okay. That however is the most I've been on a rauch creek hard trail so far

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I made it across the rock creek with 3.5" lift and my 35s. I had to break out the winch near the end since I got hung up. If I had lockers I likely would have been okay. That however is the most I've been on a rauch creek hard trail so far

Ok, I do have a front locker and rear LSD BUT I have 1" less belly clearance than you so I'm not sure if that puts me ahead or behind in application.

Thanks for the input.

skitime

It all depends on your groups rigs and how they are setup. If you look stock compared to them, then you are in trouble. What I find is there are so many parallel trails that if an obstacle you want to avoid then you can do a parallel trail and regroup further down the trail. I often start out with a large group and within an hour the group is split into two groups for that very reason.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
First time I did Rock Creek at Rausch in my old JK was when it was on a Teraflex 3" lift with 35" Mud Grapplers. Definitely had to choose a good line, but it was definitely doable and fun. Doing the same trail on 37s after having done it on 35s made it a walk in the park. I beat the skid plates to hell, and you'll certainly want a set of front lower control arm mount skids and a set of Evo Mfg Rockstar skids for the rear if you want to run black trails on 35s.

DSC03685.jpg

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
First time I did Rock Creek at Rausch in my old JK was when it was on a Teraflex 3" lift with 35" Mud Grapplers. Definitely had to choose a good line, but it was definitely doable and fun. Doing the same trail on 37s after having done it on 35s made it a walk in the park. I beat the skid plates to hell, and you'll certainly want a set of front lower control arm mount skids and a set of Evo Mfg Rockstar skids for the rear if you want to run black trails on 35s.

View attachment 185905

Thanks so much for the info. I'm good on both of those fronts.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454605898.902521.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454605922.115995.jpg

Top Bottom