Non-Rubicon Rear D-44 Shaft Upgrade

swampdog

I am re-gearing my 2013 JKU Sahara with my tax return and adding a rear locker. The front is a D-30 and I am currently running 3.21 gears w/ 35" KO2s and a 6-Speed manual, re-gearing to a 4.88. That being said, I will be adding gussets and an ARB locker in the rear (gussets and carrier up front for gearing), and from what I have read on the forum ( http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12947-Rear-axle-spline-upgrade-question ) I see that for a fairly reasonable price, I can upgrade the rear axle shafts to a set of 35-Spline Chromoly that should make the rear worthy of 37's in the future assuming I pay the slight up charge to the 35-Spline ARB over the 30. I know the Dana 30 will likely fail, and will be saving for a PR44 for when that happens.

So, my question is, I am having a hard time finding Non-Rubicon 35 Spline rear shafts for the JK. Can anyone provide me a link to a non-rubicon Dana 44 35-Spline axle set? I saw a thread where Cozdude had inquired about a similar subject but can't find it for the life of me, and it didn't include links to products. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

swampdog

Is Nitro a reputable product? I saw those and just found a set of G2 Gold 35 spline axles. It seems that Ten Factory doesn't make any. I'd just like to buy these once and buy a good set.

rogerk93

I am re-gearing my 2013 JKU Sahara with my tax return and adding a rear locker. The front is a D-30 and I am currently running 3.21 gears w/ 35" KO2s and a 6-Speed manual, re-gearing to a 4.88. That being said, I will be adding gussets and an ARB locker in the rear (gussets and carrier up front for gearing), and from what I have read on the forum ( http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?12947-Rear-axle-spline-upgrade-question ) I see that for a fairly reasonable price, I can upgrade the rear axle shafts to a set of 35-Spline Chromoly that should make the rear worthy of 37's in the future assuming I pay the slight up charge to the 35-Spline ARB over the 30. I know the Dana 30 will likely fail, and will be saving for a PR44 for when that happens.

So, my question is, I am having a hard time finding Non-Rubicon 35 Spline rear shafts for the JK. Can anyone provide me a link to a non-rubicon Dana 44 35-Spline axle set? I saw a thread where Cozdude had inquired about a similar subject but can't find it for the life of me, and it didn't include links to products. Thanks in advance.

RCV makes a special 35 splice rear axle shaft that will work with an 35 spline arb air locker only. I was looking into this setup for mine when I regear. Go to RCV website and you'll see it.

WJCO

Meme King
Is Nitro a reputable product? I saw those and just found a set of G2 Gold 35 spline axles. It seems that Ten Factory doesn't make any. I'd just like to buy these once and buy a good set.

I just installed Nitro gears about a month ago, so can't vouch for them yet. But from the research I did ahead of time, they got good reviews for a cheaper price than the Yukons along with stated to be quieter. As far as axles, not sure. Do some research, but I found Nitro to get great gear reviews.

kbp810

Caught the Bug

I ran Nitro rear shafts for years in my prior jeep; wheeled reasonably hard, never had a failure. Also ran their front shafts up until I upgraded to a PR44 and RCV's.

jeeeep

Hooked
If you're going to install a 35 spline arb rear locker you should be able to use any of the 35 spline "Rubicon" axle shafts available.
I believe the rear D44 is the same across all wranglers 07-current

J

JKDream

Just a thought, isn't the 35 spline more of a gimmick?
RCV 35 spline shafts neck down right after the carrier to the same diameter as a regular shaft.
Is this not the case for the rear?

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just a thought, isn't the 35 spline more of a gimmick?
RCV 35 spline shafts neck down right after the carrier to the same diameter as a regular shaft.
Is this not the case for the rear?

No, At least the dynatrac rear 35 spline shafts are the same diameter throughout.

Any updates on this.
My 30spline chromoly shafts did not hold up to my 37s.
Would like to go to 35 spline
I have the non Rubi 44

I'd also love to know...

BertaNation

IMG_3596.JPG IMG_3600.JPG

One side twisted and broke right after the splines. The other side just twisted
Ten factory 30spline
Was locked when it happened
My front diff also failed at the same time.
Spider gears and ring gear. Haven't pulled the shafts yet chromoly 27spline D30
37s
IMG_3661.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
You broke the front and the rear at the same time? Where you pulling a trailer up Little Sluice?? Talk about bad luck...

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Any updates on this.
My 30spline chromoly shafts did not hold up to my 37s.
Would like to go to 35 spline
I have the non Rubi 44

View attachment 244812 View attachment 244831

Ten factory 30spline
37s
View attachment 244832

Ten factory should warranty those broken shafts for you

metalic

View attachment 244812 View attachment 244831

Ten factory 30spline
37s
View attachment 244832

Nice thing about Ten Factory is they'll replace those no questions asked. I've had 2 broke, twisted 5, and bent one flange like that and they've replaced them all. If you did it once you'll do it again. You may want to start thinking about an upgrade before waiting as long as myself.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

BertaNation

Ya it really sux breaking it all at once. Luckily I trailered it that weekend. As soon as I got the shafts out I made the call to get a new set of rear shafts coming.
No questions asked warranty is nice.
I am ordering a front complete replacement axle on Monday.
And I am here fishing for advice for the rear. Bad thing is I just installed the rear locker and shafts not thinking that the 30 spline chromoly shafts wouldn't be enough.
So my thoughts are change the locker and shafts to a 35spline if possible.
Or just drive it like it is till I can afford to get a rear d60. Which could be another year.
Or maybe even chance a junkyard 1 ton. But my thoughts on the JY axle is it's gonna cost damn near the same as a d60 that is already built.

Top Bottom