Cobra 29lx

rogerk93

So today I installed my cobra 29lx with a 4 ft Wilson antenna and when I went to test it out I get a antenna warning up on the screen. I'm not sure if this topic was covered but any idea what it could be?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You need to tune the antenna tip. Also it could mean you have a bad ground connection

rogerk93

I hard wired it to the battery so it's always powered. The ground is also hooked up to the battery I extended the wires to make it work.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I hard wired it to the battery so it's always powered. The ground is also hooked up to the battery I extended the wires to make it work.

It's usually a ground issue back by the antenna. If you mounted it to a tire carrier it could be something simple as the powder coat interfering

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
It's usually a ground issue back by the antenna. If you mounted it to a tire carrier it could be something simple as the powder coat interfering

Like Coz said, we're speaking about the ground for the antenna, mount and coax portion or your system. You need to ensure the mount is making a good connection to ground and there is no short between the coax electrode and shielding. Your instructions should show you which parts should have continuity and which parts should be grounded. If not, a quick google search will clear it right up.

rogerk93

I just grounded the antenna to the inside of the tailgate. I still get the CB antenna warning on channel 40. My swr for channel 1 is 2.1 and channel 40 is 2.3. I can't get it down. Also I don't seem to be getting anything through, when I scan the channels nothing happens and when I go to the weather nothing but static.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just grounded the antenna to the inside of the tailgate. I still get the CB antenna warning on channel 40. My swr for channel 1 is 2.1 and channel 40 is 2.3. I can't get it down. Also I don't seem to be getting anything through, when I scan the channels nothing happens and when I go to the weather nothing but static.

What are you mounting the antenna to?

OkstateJK

I'm guessing those are the numbers off the built in SWR meter and not a stand alone unit? A 2.1 and 2.3 SWR shouldn't be in the danger area but the built in meters are not the most accurate. I'd google "grounding JK CB antenna", there are tons of great articles on various forums on the subject.

Even with a bad ground though, you should be able to pic up strong fqs like the NOAA channels. There may be something wrong with the radio but I would read through a few articles on grounding your antenna and try those methods before returning it.

FWIW, I run a cobra 19 on a 4' firestick with tunable tip on the TF carrier with a 4" spring without an extra antenna ground and after tuning with an actual SWR meter (by increasing the tip length) I run about 1.6 on 1 & 40.

WarriorJeep

CB radios are not designed to operate with a standing wave ratio (swr) hgher than 2.0. In fact if you consistently operate above 1.6 you will cook the finals.

Try grounding the chassis of the radio to a frame ground and see if that corrects the issue.

OkstateJK

CB radios are not designed to operate with a standing wave ratio (swr) hgher than 2.0. In fact if you consistently operate above 1.6 you will cook the finals.

Try grounding the chassis of the radio to a frame ground and see if that corrects the issue.

My SWR is likely due to the fact that the tailgate on a Jeep is the worst place to mount an antenna. But I run my UHF/VHF antenna on the front so I need some space between them.

See below on SWR ranges. A 1.6 will not damage the radio.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18542155-interpreting-swr-meter-readings

Last edited:

Flat Top

I just moved my antenna to the EVO gate plate and antenna mount and I'm dealing with very similar numbers after tuning. I ordered a grounded FireStik antenna mount that should show up today as I don't really want to remove powder coating on the mount and gate plate. Hopefully I can get a sufficient ground on the gate but I can easily run a lead to the chassis if needed. Might be an option for you as well.

http://amzn.com/B000X380KQ

rogerk93

So I went back to the place I got my CB and antenna from and he found that when I installed the stud I place the metal lock washer on bottom when it was suppose to be on top so it was causing a short. After moving it and we placed a swr meter to see if that fixed it. The warning went away and it is finally working the swr is still a little high because I need to ground it better. He suggested I take a little paint off the bottom of the mount where the stud is so it can have a proper ground.

OkstateJK

So I went back to the place I got my CB and antenna from and he found that when I installed the stud I place the metal lock washer on bottom when it was suppose to be on top so it was causing a short. After moving it and we placed a swr meter to see if that fixed it. The warning went away and it is finally working the swr is still a little high because I need to ground it better. He suggested I take a little paint off the bottom of the mount where the stud is so it can have a proper ground.

Good to hear!

Top Bottom