Need input - 3" or 3.5" lift, what would you do?

randomhero199

I'm sorry, I know there are probably 50 other similar threads, but I'm lost. I've talked to some site vendors/supporters, other shops, builders online - all have given me different answers. I figured I could put my intended use, desires on here and maybe I could get specific results, I've literally spent hours upon hours on here and other forums, just muddy's the waters even more. I picked up a 2014 Rubicon 4-door with what I think is RC lift, 20" wheels and 35's, it's hands down the worst riding vehicle I've ridden in. Feel like it has 1/2" suspension travel, it's extremely rough, nervous, horrible steering - I knew all this going in, and now I can't get that junk off of it quick enough!

Jeep will be driven on street 80% or so of the time, it will see some OHV parks in Texas, trails here in Oklahoma and will also see some use in Colorado. I'm not planning on taking it into rock "mine fields" but wife and I are planning a 8-10 day trip this summer in Colorado.

Wants: Something that has good/great on-road manners. I know this comes down to shock preference mainly, but I want something comfortable on the street.
Thinking 37" tires, likely an AT or very mild MT type tire
Want something bullet proof and complete
I want to do it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME - nothing more frustrating that buying same parts more than once!

I was strongly considering the Evo coil spring setup w/arms - Double D which is $3600 with the free Bilstiens from Northridge. However today a salesman from NR recommended Rock Krawler stuff ... which again just confused me more.

I started the coilovers worth the hype thread, the overwhelming response seemed to be under whelming thoughts on any of the bolt on kits. I'm wanting to get parts ordered asap, spent months researching and still absolutely lost - I apologize in advance for another one of these threads, but figured the flaming might be worth it if I can get some good info out of it!

Scrambler

What Rough Country lift is it? Is it a BB or or one of their coil spring lifts? Sounds like you have more issues than just the lift. Without seeing pictures of your front end, it will be hard for anyone to give you an solid advice. Post up some pics and you'll get some solid advice.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The EVO kit will be a good one. You might look at the Enforcer lift also. It comes with just the front lowers. The Enforcer comes in a 3 inch or 4 inch. The 3 inch is plenty for 35s and will work with 37s also if you trim the fender flares or have flat fenders and run the proper bump stop. The 4 inch works great for 37s and non trimmed flares, I've also read that if your a heavier rig the 4 inch works better on 37s as it won't bottom out or rub as bad.

The coil overs would be good too but think they would be worth it more if you were driving fast off road.

I have ran several sets of the BFG ATs and loved them. I wouldn't hesitate to run another set again. They were great on a daily driver 4x4 that sees a lot of road but still gets offroad some.

Just my opinion.

randomhero199

What Rough Country lift is it? Is it a BB or or one of their coil spring lifts? Sounds like you have more issues than just the lift. Without seeing pictures of your front end, it will be hard for anyone to give you an solid advice. Post up some pics and you'll get some solid advice.

It's a cheap coil spring only kit, the shocks are horrible as well ... there is no labels on anything, but saw some photos of RC stuff today, it's silver just like their kits

Eezybreezy08

Just go with the Evo enforcer 3". Everyone else on here is gonna tell you the same. Best ride. Best lift. What more can you ask for. Evo makes the softest ride. So that's it in a nutshell. Call off road evolution and talk to them personally. Not north ridge cause they will send you in the wrong direction. They will tell you to buy rock krawler or go with a progressive or dual rate coil. Instead of a softer smoother linear coil. At least that what they tried to do me. So I call off road Evo and they answered my questions.

randomhero199

Just go with the Evo enforcer 3". Everyone else on here is gonna tell you the same. Best ride. Best lift. What more can you ask for. Evo makes the softest ride. So that's it in a nutshell. Call off road evolution and talk to them personally. Not north ridge cause they will send you in the wrong direction. They will tell you to buy rock krawler or go with a progressive or dual rate coil. Instead of a softer smoother linear coil. At least that what they tried to do me. So I call off road Evo and they answered my questions.

Had very similar experience today... was a bit miffed when I hung up to be honest

Evil

I'm sorry, I know there are probably 50 other similar threads, but I'm lost. I've talked to some site vendors/supporters, other shops, builders online - all have given me different answers. I figured I could put my intended use, desires on here and maybe I could get specific results, I've literally spent hours upon hours on here and other forums, just muddy's the waters even more. I picked up a 2014 Rubicon 4-door with what I think is RC lift, 20" wheels and 35's, it's hands down the worst riding vehicle I've ridden in. Feel like it has 1/2" suspension travel, it's extremely rough, nervous, horrible steering - I knew all this going in, and now I can't get that junk off of it quick enough!

17's or max 18's will improve your ride right off the bat. 20's have no place on a Jeep.

Jeep will be driven on street 80% or so of the time, it will see some OHV parks in Texas, trails here in Oklahoma and will also see some use in Colorado. I'm not planning on taking it into rock "mine fields" but wife and I are planning a 8-10 day trip this summer in Colorado.

Wants: Something that has good/great on-road manners. I know this comes down to shock preference mainly, but I want something comfortable on the street.
Thinking 37" tires, likely an AT or very mild MT type tire
Want something bullet proof and complete
I want to do it RIGHT THE FIRST TIME - nothing more frustrating that buying same parts more than once!

Stick with a AT Tire. You will loose some bite in the snow and mud but be OK, your not in it 80% of the time. Wheel wisely and know your rigs limits with how its built.

I was strongly considering the Evo coil spring setup w/arms - Double D which is $3600 with the free Bilstiens from Northridge. However today a salesman from NR recommended Rock Krawler stuff ... which again just confused me more.

If this is your budget, reconsider the EVO stuff. Also check out ReadyLift and Currie. RL you can usually find complete kits with the front drive shaft and fox shocks for 3500 bucks, Currie not so much but its worth what you pay. When you ask NR what do you recommend, of course they are going to tell you what they have and how great it is. I know who you spoke with and know all about his set up and it does work good on the street with mild wheeling every now and again.

I started the coilovers worth the hype thread, the overwhelming response seemed to be under whelming thoughts on any of the bolt on kits. I'm wanting to get parts ordered asap, spent months researching and still absolutely lost - I apologize in advance for another one of these threads, but figured the flaming might be worth it if I can get some good info out of it!

CO's are such a touchy subject its hard to explain. The EVO DTD is way overkill for a Jeep IMO but bad ass none the less. If I had money to burn I would run it. Consider what you are doing when wheeling, do you need it? Will it be the best set up for you, your off road areas and budget? For some, they need it. Look at the pro rock crawlers, all on CO's. What will happen is you get a bunch of people that never ran a CO set up or don't know anything about them and think they are way over priced so they talk shit about it, OR.... go buy a complete bolt on kit and not know how it works or how to set it up properly and say "it sucks" :thinking:......

For what its worth and from what it sounds like from your post. A standard 4 inch lift and 37's will be fine.
For me, I opted for the CO's because I can make them work for me and will utilize them to their full potential and have the option to build upon my set up as needed and as money permits.

Evil

I meant to ask if the 3600 was the budget. And as far as the EVO stuff goes, go back and look at it, its good. I can go back and reword that but I wont.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had the Clayton 3.5" lift and Bilstein shocks with 35's before I swapped coils for the EVO 4" plush rides and King shocks to run 37's. With the original Clayton coils and Bilstein shocks the 35's fit with no rubbing and the ride was great on and off road.

I've ridden in EVO Enforcer jeeps with 35's paired up with Rancho shocks and really liked how it felt and handled as well.

If you're looking to go 3+ inches of lift you will need to budget in a front drive shaft and an exhaust delete pipe and a draglink flip kit. Some kits come with a front adjustable track bar (which is what I run and still run with no issues) but if you're going 37's I'd recommend doing the draglink flip kit with raised track bar bracket. The flip kit/track bar bracket will keep your steering aligned and reuse your stock track bar. Cost is about the same between a flip kit and adjustable track bar.

IMO running 35's on 20" wheels will make for a rough ride on their own, how much air pressure do you have in them?

It's confusing as hell because most shops will recommend what makes them the best profit margin. When I was doing my search I called a lot of places to ask questions and found Clayton Offroad and EVO willing to take the time and answer all my questions, all the others immediately tried to sell me before they even knew what I was needing...

Good luck with your search! :beer:

randomhero199

I meant to ask if the 3600 was the budget. And as far as the EVO stuff goes, go back and look at it, its good. I can go back and reword that but I wont.

To touch on your other post, couldn't agree more... especially with the 20" wheels (they're for sale). I talked to a builder in California that does high end builds, he basically told me most of the companies you see have great mark-up's and different suppliers will push different products. He strongly recommended the Synergy stuff, as well as Currie - but said nobody does because profit margins are so tight. I've been a big fan of Currie's products for years, and have used their stuff with nothing but praise in the past - not to mention Cassey is actually using their stuff, and putting it through some serious paces, which I really like and respect.

As mentioned above, I'd like a single rate coil, which the EVO stuff uses, and really I think I've narrowed it down to them, Currie and Syergy at this point. Read too many threads where people are having issues with other brands stuff.

Keep the input coming! :rock:

dwvninety

I run the EVO Enforcer 4" with the Drag-Link Flip Kit, Rancho's 9000's, 37" tires with Dynatrac Ball Joints. I can drive it 80mph sometimes 85mph since some highways in Texas has these speed limit. Has no problems and drives great. The only issue I have is on very windy days mostly in Oklahoma (which happens to be windy almost all the time) the Jeep will feel like it wants to move in the other lane.

randomhero199

I run the EVO Enforcer 4" with the Drag-Link Flip Kit, Rancho's 9000's, 37" tires with Dynatrac Ball Joints. I can drive it 80mph sometimes 85mph since some highways in Texas has these speed limit. Has no problems and drives great. The only issue I have is on very windy days mostly in Oklahoma (which happens to be windy almost all the time) the Jeep will feel like it wants to move in the other lane.

Windy... Oklahoma..... NOOOO. It's been brutal here, I found out yesterday these things aren't very wind friendly, just as you said!

randomhero199

I also have been looking at the Metal Cloak stuff... it's reasonable, they seem to have put a lot of thought into their kits, but again don't see many people running their stuff, thoughts?

dwvninety

I also have been looking at the Metal Cloak stuff... it's reasonable, they seem to have put a lot of thought into their kits, but again don't see many people running their stuff, thoughts?

Let's just say they are excellent in marketing......they are a fairly new company and just entered the suspension market in 2010.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You don't see many people running their kit because they are a new company. The do a great job of marketing and apparently, you've been sold on some of it. So, the question is, do you go with a kit that a lot of people run and can explain why it's better or do you go with a kit that is marketed well?

Jeepfan30

I bought my 2014 JKU with a 3" Fabtech lift. I pulled all of it off and put some Rock Krawler stuff on, didn't like it. Replaced the RK stuff with some Metalcloak stuff, it was ok but didn't love it. I've completely rebuilt my Jeep now using all the components of the 3" EVO Enforcer, the only thing I am missing is the King shocks. I absolutely love every EVO product I have bought and installed on my Jeep. I have seen my friends do the same trial and error with Teraflex, Metalcloak and Rock Krawler. I don't push my EVO stuff on them, I just tell them My Jeep is perfect the way it's set up and I wouldn't change a thing. If I built another JKU, I honestly would re-install the EVO Enforcer kit.

Top Bottom