poison spyder brawler lite install

BertaNation

During the installation on my PS bumper 2 of the studs just started to just spin in place. I contacted PS and they said that the stud is just a carriage bolt w a keeper on it and I need to take it off and reseat the keeper. My problem is that the nuts are nylock and they are already somewhat tight. Now how the heck am I gonna get them backed out with the stud spinning. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454639894.354642.jpg

kbp810

Caught the Bug
If you've got another set of hands and an impact you could perhaps remove all but the spinning one; have someone pull the bumper out to put some pressure/friction on the stud, and then try to run the nut off with the impact.

jk12blk

During the installation on my PS bumper 2 of the studs just started to just spin in place. I contacted PS and they said that the stud is just a carriage bolt w a keeper on it and I need to take it off and reseat the keeper. My problem is that the nuts are nylock and they are already somewhat tight. Now how the heck am I gonna get them backed out with the stud spinning. View attachment 185973
I used to run that bumper. I don't recall seeing any sort of keeper or retainer for the studs, so wondering if something changed in the design. I recall fastening that bumper was a bit challenging given the tight spaces and if you have big hands, it does not help. What a pain. Good luck with the fix.

BertaNation

Well I managed to get the nuts back off the studs that were spinning. Surprised it was fairly easy. So I tried a different nut on them thinking that maybe there was a problem w the nut since it came off easily. But no difference. I pulled the bumper off and there is a keeper. But the keeper does not play the roll that the PS rep said it did. It's just there to keep the bolt/stud from falling out. There is actually a plate that 2 bolts are welded to that is put in place and the keeper holds them in place.
Both welds on each stud/nut did not hold up. Kinda irritated.
So what to do now. Have them welded or get PS involved. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455168067.348095.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455168082.965912.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455168094.716693.jpg

RageKage

Well I managed to get the nuts back off the studs that were spinning. Surprised it was fairly easy. So I tried a different nut on them thinking that maybe there was a problem w the nut since it came off easily. But no difference. I pulled the bumper off and there is a keeper. But the keeper does not play the roll that the PS rep said it did. It's just there to keep the bolt/stud from falling out. There is actually a plate that 2 bolts are welded to that is put in place and the keeper holds them in place.
Both welds on each stud/nut did not hold up. Kinda irritated.
So what to do now. Have them welded or get PS involved. View attachment 187194 View attachment 187195 View attachment 187196

I would get PS involved. Seems like a manufacturing defect. Whether the weld wasn't done correctly or was weak. They should be more than happy to send you a replacement. Can't sell a quality product if you aren't ready to back it up ya know?

JAGS

Hooked
These finally being built in the China transamerica plant? Then this would all make sense. Sucks about the bumper issues though. I'm sure 4wheelfarts will take of you. [emoji6]

swampdog

These finally being built in the China transamerica plant? Then this would all make sense. Sucks about the bumper issues though. I'm sure 4wheelfarts will take of you. [emoji6]

Trail jeeps did tell me last week that production moved overseas.

BertaNation

Talked to another rep today at PS. Told him the prob and what I discovered. He is going to over night me a new bracket.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I noticed my bumper had the keepers on there too. I was wondering if I was supposed to remove them because they "crunch" when I tightened up the bumper.

-Break-

Overseas? Seriously? I'm running a Chinese bumper? Son of a bitch.

edit: google found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dF-ziCkNxhzlvsrjw&sig2=foiI4Smls4RP8CAtPHhvig

I'm so not happy right now.

edit 2: According to TMG's website, all PS stuff is built in the US. What's the truth? http://www.tmgtoolbox.com/#!poison-spyder/c1s1n

Every product that Poison Spyder manufactures is designed and built in the USA. There are no asterisks in that
statement--we don’t mean “assembled” in America, or “designed” in America and built overseas. Every step of the process,
from design and testing to laser cutting and welding are performed in the USA by hard working Americans who are just as
passionate about the Jeep lifestyle as you are.

Last edited:

Heholua

Trail jeeps did tell me last week that production moved overseas.

I highly doubt they moved production overseas. I have seen their operation and they have state of the art laser cutting machine and press break.

swampdog

I highly doubt they moved production overseas. I have seen their operation and they have state of the art laser cutting machine and press break.

I spoke with Tim at trail jeeps last week and he told me they no longer carry and PS products as they are now made overseas. If he is willing to stop selling a very popular product, I'm sure he did his research. But hey, what would a reputable vendor who ships tons of product know?

BertaNation

I noticed my bumper had the keepers on there too. I was wondering if I was supposed to remove them because they "crunch" when I tightened up the bumper.

-Break-

Overseas? Seriously? I'm running a Chinese bumper? Son of a bitch.

edit: google found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dF-ziCkNxhzlvsrjw&sig2=foiI4Smls4RP8CAtPHhvig

I'm so not happy right now.

edit 2: According to TMG's website, all PS stuff is built in the US. What's the truth? http://www.tmgtoolbox.com/#!poison-spyder/c1s1n

Pretty sure u should leave the keepers on if not it would make it pretty difficult to install the bumper without the studs being pushed back out of the holes when mounting.
As for the parts being made in the US. I would like to buy products made in the US but that just isn't very feasible. Hell most of the original parts on the jeep are not even American made.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I just got this email from PS:

Greg,
Good afternoon. Yes the Brawler Lite is made here in our shop in Sunny Southern California. In fact almost all of our products are made in the USA. The only exceptions are a few of the LED's, Tow strap, Some apparel and some miscellaneous parts ( fasteners etc. ). Unfortunately those items are difficult if not impossible to have made here. I hope this information answered your questions. If you have any additional questions or concerns. Please feel free to contact me. Below I have provided my direct contact information for your convenience.

Rick Hartwick
General Manager

1177 W Lincoln Ave, Suite #100A
Banning CA 92220
rick@poisonspyder.com
Ph. 951-849-5911 ext-13
Fax. 951-922-9069

That sucks for sure. One of the top ones on the market IMO, until it starts being built in china that is...

Heholua

I spoke with Tim at trail jeeps last week and he told me they no longer carry and PS products as they are now made overseas. If he is willing to stop selling a very popular product, I'm sure he did his research. But hey, what would a reputable vendor who ships tons of product know?

And really what would he know, he just works there.

Attachments

• 1455218672025.jpg
    1455218672025.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom