Is tack welding stock 44 axle u-joint caps worth the effort?

JoeB-JKURX

A little short of cash right now relative to new axle shafts and am heading for Moab soon. Am a bit concerned that the caps will turn in the yoke resulting in losing the c-clip. I probably wouldn't enjoy fixing a U-joint or replacing an axle on the trail (or even out of town). Have heard on this forum that one approach is to tack weld the cap to the yoke. Any thoughts/recommendations on whether this is worthwhile would be appreciated.

Thx

WJCO

Meme King
A little short of cash right now relative to new axle shafts and am heading for Moab soon. Am a bit concerned that the caps will turn in the yoke resulting in losing the c-clip. I probably wouldn't enjoy fixing a U-joint or replacing an axle on the trail (or even out of town). Have heard on this forum that one approach is to tack weld the cap to the yoke. Any thoughts/recommendations on whether this is worthwhile would be appreciated.

Thx

What makes you think that they're going to fail on you?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
What makes you think that they're going to fail on you?

It's common for the u-joint caps to "walk" or loosen up and start to work their way out of the stub shaft ears when the half circle c-clips fail to hold the cap in place. A cheap fix that works great is to tack weld the caps in place. A lot of JK front axle u-joints fail not because of torque/overload, but because these c-clips failed to hold the cap in place. When the cap falls out, the trunnion is free to move around inside the ear, and literally destroy the stub shaft.

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Do You Need to Pull the Axle?

It's common for the u-joint caps to "walk" or loosen up and start to work their way out of the stub shaft ears when the half circle c-clips fail to hold the cap in place. A cheap fix that works great is to tack weld the caps in place. A lot of JK front axle u-joints fail not because of torque/overload, but because these c-clips failed to hold the cap in place. When the cap falls out, the trunnion is free to move around inside the ear, and literally destroy the stub shaft.

It looks (when crawling under the Jeep) like they are pretty accessible. What are thoughts/experience about tack welding with the axles in place?

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It looks (when crawling under the Jeep) like they are pretty accessible. What are thoughts/experience about tack welding with the axles in place?

Thats how I did the ones on my last JK. I Just ground a spot clean on each cap/ear and tacked it in place.

JeepFan

Hooked
Hmmmmm. Tough call. We went to Moab twice in our 2009 JKU. Stock axles running 37s and never had a problem.

If it gives you piece of mind it can't hurt but, you'll probably be fine until you upgrade.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmmmm. Tough call. We went to Moab twice in our 2009 JKU. Stock axles running 37s and never had a problem.

If it gives you piece of mind it can't hurt but, you'll probably be fine until you upgrade.

Agreed. On our Dozer JK, we lost a driver side bearing cap within 14,000 miles. That being said, we had 85,000 miles on our passenger side shaft and without any issues before replacing it with an chromoly shaft. Even now, it's still in good condition and I carry it as a spare.

If it were me, I would just leave well enough alone unless you suspect things are moving around. Of course, an easy way to tell if things are is to mark your caps with a paint pen.

WJCO

Meme King

I had heard of that happening but didn't realize it was that common.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If it is easy to get to for peace of mind do it, but if no issues, I would leave it alone myself.

Top Bottom