HELP! New Jeep owner in need of experienced advice

Christina152

Hey all,

I just bought a 2010 JKU (used) and after the first day of ownership I discovered my driver side floor was wet after it rained. I checked with the previous owner and of course this is the first they have ever heard of an issue. I checked the soft top to make sure it was on correctly (which it was) and couldn't figure out where the leak originated from. It rained again yesterday pretty hard and of course I find the driver side front and rear seats soaked. Also the driver side seat belt was soaked (inside the pillar). Can anyone say if they have had this issue? Where the leak was and the resolution you came up with? Thanks so much for your help!

Christina

JeepFan

Hooked
Welcome to WAL! Congrats on the purchase of your 2010 JK. Give us a wave and tell us a little about yourself in the GIVE US A WAVE section of WAL and post some pics of your JK. :thumb:

Water leaks are pretty common on the JK and there are lots of factory technical bulletins to address them.

Here's what you can do to get started... Open your favorite web browser and type the following in the Google search box.

water leaks site:wayalife.com

WarriorJeep

Christina, welcome to WAL. Don't forget to stop and give us a wave.

http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

As for your leak...a few questions

1) what brand and model soft top
2) can you take some video or pictures of the top being "on correctly"
3) Can you take it back to the dealer to get repaired

Personally I would take it back to the dealer and either have them fix the problem

Christina152

Christina, welcome to WAL. Don't forget to stop and give us a wave.

http://wayalife.com/forumdisplay.php?11-Give-us-a-Wave

As for your leak...a few questions

1) what brand and model soft top
2) can you take some video or pictures of the top being "on correctly"
3) Can you take it back to the dealer to get repaired

Personally I would take it back to the dealer and either have them fix the problem

Thanks so much for the reply, I was told that the soft top came from the dealer after the original soft top was recalled. I'm not sure of the brand. I will look into that. Again, thank you for the response!

WarriorJeep

No worries, if you can't figure out the manufacturer perhaps the pictures will give some clues.

Jeepfan is right though, leaks are common. If you can't get relief from the dealer, and can find the leak... call bestop and order a new top. That's always an option :thumb:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I would check the foam seals between the front and rear door surrounds (the plastic door frames). That is where my soft top was leaking. It only takes a very small missing piece (to include being factory trimmed short) to cause a leak. I added some foam window trim. Stopped the leak. Your leak sounds bad enough that you should be able to run a garden hose and narrow down the source. Have someone run water, while you sit inside.

I am sure the dealer will not do anything, at least not for free, as it sounds like you bought it off of an individual.

I am sure buying a new soft top is not the answer you were looking for either.

Now if i could just solve the leak on my freedom top center seal.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Oh, and don't forget to stop by the give a wave thread. It is a tradition to introduce yourself.

Christina152

I would check the foam seals between the front and rear door surrounds (the plastic door frames). That is where my soft top was leaking. It only takes a very small missing piece (to include being factory trimmed short) to cause a leak. I added some foam window trim. Stopped the leak. Your leak sounds bad enough that you should be able to run a garden hose and narrow down the source. Have someone run water, while you sit inside.

I am sure the dealer will not do anything, at least not for free, as it sounds like you bought it off of an individual.

Hey! Thanks so much for the advice! I will try having someone spray it down with a hose. I did a little internet browsing on the issue and I saw a lot of people saying jeep dealers did not help and charged a ton! Hopefully I can figure this out with your help! Thanks again!

WarriorJeep

I had a leak, center seal freedom top as well. In the am ill take some pictures of the fix I did. Worked perfectly

Caretaker

Hey all,

I just bought a 2010 JKU (used) and after the first day of ownership I discovered my driver side floor was wet after it rained. I checked with the previous owner and of course this is the first they have ever heard of an issue. I checked the soft top to make sure it was on correctly (which it was) and couldn't figure out where the leak originated from. It rained again yesterday pretty hard and of course I find the driver side front and rear seats soaked. Also the driver side seat belt was soaked (inside the pillar). Can anyone say if they have had this issue? Where the leak was and the resolution you came up with? Thanks so much for your help!

Christina

Do you have the full metal doors with roll-up/power windows? Or, half-doors with soft (zipper-close) uppers? If half hard bottom/half upper soft, make sure the uppers are seated fully in the channel or you'll have gap that lets all sorts of water in. Plus, those zippers leak pretty badly when/if you wash it with any pressure or if it rains hard sideways. You learn to live with it so you can take those uppers off and put them in the back of the Jeep when it's nice out. Lots better than roll-downs!

Christina152

Do you have the full metal doors with roll-up/power windows? Or, half-doors with soft (zipper-close) uppers? If half hard bottom/half upper soft, make sure the uppers are seated fully in the channel or you'll have gap that lets all sorts of water in. Plus, those zippers leak pretty badly when/if you wash it with any pressure or if it rains hard sideways. You learn to live with it so you can take those uppers off and put them in the back of the Jeep when it's nice out. Lots better than roll-downs!

Hey thanks for the reply, I have full metal doors with power windows though.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hey all,

Christina

this may help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tLGORwuv4

Arizona JKU

I had the same problem on my passenger side and found out that the door seal didnt have enough of that black sticky stuff. I took it back to the dealer and they fixed it. Now no more problems with leaks... for now...:icon_crazy:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I had a leak, center seal freedom top as well. In the am ill take some pictures of the fix I did. Worked perfectly

Thanks. I haven't figured that center seal out yet.

This whole deal makes me think of building a better mouse trap. Way more complicated than it ever needed to be. It ranks up there with TIPM and electronic gas pedals.

Top Bottom