Need a little advise on an air compressor

KCTW

I am thinking about getting an air compressor to air up my 35s. I'm not really interested in an onboard unit, so I am looking at Viair portable units. I have been reading about duty cycles, and some say you want a 100% duty cycle because it can run and run and run. Others say you want the 33% duty cycle because they pump faster, and are usually done before the thermal overload kicks in.
All I think I have accomplished in all my research is that I'm more confused than when I started. I just need it to air up my 35s up from 12-15 lbs to around 30lbs.
Here are a couple I was looking at.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92043_000.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92043_0012.htm

I want one that will air my tires back up as fast as reasonably possible. I know it won't be as fast as the one in my garage.
Would either of these be a good choice, or is there a better one out there that is around that $200 to $300 range?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If I may suggest go to Woods site. Google Dominion Offroad. He sells complete packages with ViAir compressors and tanks but includes all kinda of extras that are nice to have, like mounting brackets, in-cab air couplers and a nice in cab air gauge and on off switch.

I bought the ViAir 10007 kit but wound up buying all kinds of stuff from him to complete the install.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd just fork out the cash for one of his kits, it would be easier and cheaper!

image-2434836957.jpg

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If I may suggest go to Woods site. Google Dominion Offroad. He sells complete packages with ViAir compressors and tanks but includes all kinda of extras that are nice to have, like mounting brackets, in-cab air couplers and a nice in cab air gauge and on off switch.

I bought the ViAir 10007 kit but wound up buying all kinds of stuff from him to complete the install.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd just fork out the cash for one of his kits, it would be easier and cheaper!

I would second this. I have a compressor mounted under the hood and it will work for now. I need to figure out where I want to put a tank (I already have an idea just haven't done it yet).

Any reason why you don't want an onboard system? To me it is easier to have mine there all the time and not have to worry about bringing it. It is out of the way and there when I need it.

If you have an '11 or older there is a mount that you can put the tank behind the rad but for the '12's and up they blocked that area with the new motor.

Gibbo

I seem to be missing something here, what's the new craze about carrying stored air pressure. A good air compressor will activate air lockers, air tires, inflate camping mattresses, and blow the dust off the seats. What's the rush to be the first back on the tarred road. After the run relax have a drink and a talk while the tires air up. Yeah no rush.

KCTW

Any reason why you don't want an onboard system? To me it is easier to have mine there all the time and not have to worry about bringing it. It is out of the way and there when I need it.

The main reason I want a portable one is I want to be able to put it in my truck too. The other reason is cost. I don't want to spend over $300 for this, and these portable one's are right in that price range.
I would love to get that twin motor portable ARB compressor but ouch, $700+ for that bad boy.

I am assuming that ARB and Viair are probably my best options? I see alot of people saying they just love there Superflow MV50 and MV90, but I just don't know about the quality.
I guess I should add that I will probably only use this maybe a dozen times a year.

gouacats

Since you brought up the superflow...

That is what I have. I've had it for a couple years now and originally bought it thinking I would upgrade and keep it as a backup. I still haven't got anything better. Durability hasn't been an issue. I've used it to air up 8 tires in warm weather and it keeps on going. It's not terribly fast, but I can be in the road in 10 minutes or so. No complaints and it's a great buy for 50 bucks...especially if you don't need one all that frequently.

KCTW

Since you brought up the superflow...

That is what I have. I've had it for a couple years now and originally bought it thinking I would upgrade and keep it as a backup. I still haven't got anything better. Durability hasn't been an issue. I've used it to air up 8 tires in warm weather and it keeps on going. It's not terribly fast, but I can be in the road in 10 minutes or so. No complaints and it's a great buy for 50 bucks...especially if you don't need one all that frequently.

I can't find anybody that has a bad thing to say about these compressors. They claim the MV90 can air up a 37" tire in 2 minutes! WHAT! I find that hard to believe.
Has it been an issue having to shut it off every time you switch tires or check the tire pressure?
I now see the two compressors that i originally attached to this thread don't have the automatic shut off, but Viair does offer different models that do.
The MV90 is around $150.
The Viair 400P auto is around $260.

gouacats

I can't find anybody that has a bad thing to say about these compressors. They claim the MV90 can air up a 37" tire in 2 minutes! WHAT! I find that hard to believe.
Has it been an issue having to shut it off every time you switch tires or check the tire pressure?
I now see the two compressors that i originally attached to this thread don't have the automatic shut off, but Viair does offer different models that do.
The MV90 is around $150.
The Viair 400P auto is around $260.

For clarification, I have the MV50. No issues turning off and on. It's gotten very hot, but has never stopped working.

Conman

Another option would be the PowerTank C02 onboard air. I have run compressors before and decided to run the Powertank. So far so good and it's portable as well.

Just my 2 cents

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I seem to be missing something here, what's the new craze about carrying stored air pressure. A good air compressor will activate air lockers, air tires, inflate camping mattresses, and blow the dust off the seats. What's the rush to be the first back on the tarred road. After the run relax have a drink and a talk while the tires air up. Yeah no rush.

The tank will allow you to run air tools and air up faster.

As for the OP the one I have is less then $250 and works great.

Gibbo

OverlanderJK said:
The tank will allow you to run air tools and air up faster.

As for the OP the one I have is less then $250 and works great.

Oh right I see now. That would be handy to use an impact wrench to change a tyre and I suppose it would be nice to air up faster. I'll have to look into it. I'll keep reading what you guys do. This is new to me.

Miramontes

Arb

I have the ARB High Performance on board air. Planning on eventually getting air lockers. As of now I use it to air up. It's about 300, no issue with it. Very happy with it.

Chris

Deuane

I have an ARB on board air compressor which connect to my ARB Locker, and I use to air my tire, it cost $161.99 it not an high end one but it does the job. I have another one, a portable that I bought from Lowes for $199 - 6 gal air tank, come with air hose and nail gun. I got a power converter that hook up to the battery vehicle, and use for a power tool, which I test for taking out a drive shaft with an impact gun and the nut came off. And can use for home use for construction stuff of power tool like a nail gun... Just thing to think about, not just for airing up tires..

KCTW

I have another one, a portable that I bought from Lowes for $199 - 6 gal air tank, come with air hose and nail gun. I got a power converter that hook up to the battery vehicle, and use for a power tool, which I test for taking out a drive shaft with an impact gun and the nut came off. And can use for home use for construction stuff of power tool like a nail gun... Just thing to think about, not just for airing up tires..

I have been thinking about this too, because I already have an air compressor like your talking about. My hang up is, I don't know anything about inverters, and wiring them up.
I know that big of an air compressor would take up alot of space, but thats not really an issue with me. I also thought I would be able to use my electric impact if I had a big enough inverter.

Deuane

I have been thinking about this too, because I already have an air compressor like your talking about. My hang up is, I don't know anything about inverters, and wiring them up.
I know that big of an air compressor would take up alot of space, but thats not really an issue with me. I also thought I would be able to use my electric impact if I had a big enough inverter.

Okay it easy, the power converter is hook up to your vehicle battery, the power converter that I have now is 1,200 watt, that will power my air compressor, and electrical power tool, anything under 1,200 watt will have issue/will not work.. any power converter above 1,200 Watt will do the job. The cost will be above $100 buck..

Top Bottom