Issue with rear rockrail/tire

james2003w

Just threw a 3" boost onto my '15 JKUR. And upgraded to 35" Toyo R/Ts

Looks like if I were to articulate in the back that I am going to have issues. Is this normal with the factory rock rails? Should I cut them? Replace them?

IMG_0104.jpg
02.06.2016 - Rockrail-Tire.jpg

Perfectly normal, but a problem yes. Just take them off, mark a line 3 or so inches back and cut w a sawzall. Put the endcap back in and reinstall

james2003w

Perfectly normal, but a problem yes. Just take them off, mark a line 3 or so inches back and cut w a sawzall. Put the endcap back in and reinstall

Would I need to do any other cutting while I got it off? I read someplace about trimming part of the frame?

Would I need to do any other cutting while I got it off? I read someplace about trimming part of the frame?
No no. You may be thinking about the pinch seam in front of the rear tire. You can trim that sharp, protruding edge off for better clearance.

Thanks! Guess I need to go raid the garage for some tools...

No sweat. Sawzall should do both. The rail endcap has a plug on the bottom preventing you from removing it. If you can get it out without ruining it, you can drill a new hole and put it back in.

Also if you cut that seam enough, yiu may open it up a bit. If so, neatly jbweld it. The paint to prevent rust.

james2003w

Also if you cut that seam enough, yiu may open it up a bit. If so, neatly jbweld it. The paint to prevent rust.

Do I have to cut the seam? Or only if I plan on going bigger? I bought the lifetime warranty so just trying to only do the necessities.

WJCO

Meme King
I would cut them as well, but keep in mind, when your springs compress, your rear axle goes rearward a little as it goes up based on the way the control arms move. Picture your control arms like a clock pendulum. The wheel does not go straight up and down and may not hit at all as the tire arc goes rearward.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
Do I have to cut the seam? Or only if I plan on going bigger? I bought the lifetime warranty so just trying to only do the necessities.

As you have a 2015 rubicon the pinch seam has been trimmed from the factory (IIRC Jeep started this late in the 2013 year group). It should be fine with the 35s, but cycling your suspension to test for rubbing/contact will give you a solid yes/no.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
You do not need to cut off 3". Seems like you do not need to trim more than 1".

You do not need to cut off 3". Seems like you do not need to trim more than 1".
You dont NEED to, but might as well get it out of the way incase you increase tire size later on. Plus IMO, it looks funny when the rail is really close to the tire, but thats just me.

Scrambler

Thanks guys, I just need to find the time/tools to do it!

Definitely use a saw zall. Do not use a plasma cutter like I did unless you grind off the powder coat in the area you are cutting. The powder coat will burn and look like crap when finished. :doh::cheesy:

james2003w

Definitely use a saw zall. Do not use a plasma cutter like I did unless you grind off the powder coat in the area you are cutting. The powder coat will burn and look like crap when finished. :doh::cheesy:

Don't think Pops has a plasma cutter, if he does I've never seen it. Jeep just went in for warranty work and water-leaks, so it might be a bit before I get around to cutting them.

Top Bottom