Two Tone Top

JEJ0308

I have a white JKUR, and want to paint the sides and back of the hardtop to match the vehicle, but leave the top black. I haven't been able to find any examples of this online, so I found an identical jeep on google image and did a quick MS paint job. I think it would look good, and the lines of the hardtop lend itself perfectly to this type of paint job.
My questions are:
-should it be smoothed out, or will the texture look ok?
-plastic dip?
-DIY or professional?
I can't think of any other questions at the moment, but welcome your input, thanks!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454855265.171647.jpg

epetry

I think it would be cool textured and white but I would have it done professionally, I feel like spray paint would not last long.

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a white JKUR, and want to paint the sides and back of the hardtop to match the vehicle, but leave the top black. I haven't been able to find any examples of this online, so I found an identical jeep on google image and did a quick MS paint job. I think it would look good, and the lines of the hardtop lend itself perfectly to this type of paint job.
My questions are:
-should it be smoothed out, or will the texture look ok?
-plastic dip?
-DIY or professional?
I can't think of any other questions at the moment, but welcome your input, thanks!
View attachment 186264

That does look better than I imagined. If you DIY I wouldn't use plasti-dip, I'd prep it properly (sanding etc..) this would be the most important step to get a good finish, then use exact matching white paint.
The thing with white paints is if you're slightly off color it will stand out and on something like the hard top personally it would drive me nuts.
be sure to post up your final results :thumb:

JEJ0308

The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'll take it to a professional when the time comes, I just don't have the tools or facility to do it right. Also I'm not against leaving the texture (at least I don't think I am). This may come down to "trial and error" thing, can't imagine having that small of an area painted will cost that much, right?

JAGS

Hooked
Why not prep and try a few cans of white plasti dip?? Worse thing that happens is you let it dry and peel it off. Can't go too wrong for $11.

The color won't be perfect, but getting it sprayed to match factory means a permanent job. Also more $$$.

Wethy

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454892567.398486.jpg
Here's another pic for reference that Starwood motors did like your thinking looks okay to me and that is paint matched I'm guessing.

JEJ0308

Personally, I think that looks great!
So far (here, as well as other stuff I've read), I'm getting mixed reviews on plasti-dip. Does it really work as well as they claim? And will white plasti-dip work on a black top?

JAGS

Hooked
Personally, I think that looks great!
So far (here, as well as other stuff I've read), I'm getting mixed reviews on plasti-dip. Does it really work as well as they claim? And will white plasti-dip work on a black top?

Depends on the prep, you'll want to wash and prep surface with a degreaser so it will stick. Maybe go with gray base and then white. As far as durability, I'm not sure you can do better for the price.

There are tons of videos online. I'm sure there are some for a two tone look.

Would be interesting to see how much a quality paint shop would charge to prep and paint.

jjlong

I would definitely primer it first. The paint will adhere better, and chipping white paint with a black base will stand out like a sore thumb.

Top Bottom