Bumpers requiring cutting frame / crash bar - Regrets?

randomhero199

I've found a couple bumpers I really like, they're smaller/minimalist designs, but they all have one thing in common... Cutting the front frame and/or crash bar. I'm looking for opinions from guys who've done this, and also if people would be deterred by this buying a jeep. I just picked up '14 w/21k miles, it's going to be a fairly substantial build and I have no plan on selling short term... Just curious if this is frowned upon. As many bumpers out there that require it, I'm guessing no, but a poll of "jeep guys" would make me feel better. :rock:

Buster3479

I was hesitant to cut off the "crash bar" at first as well. After installing my bumper/stinger, my only regret is not doing it earlier. After looking it over, my opinion is the "crash bar" serves little purpose, except perhaps to mount the plastic air dam I removed 3 years ago.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't hesitate to do the crash bar again. What I would hesitate to do is cut the frame rails like you have to on some of the poison spider bumpers.

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's why I went with the poison spyder brawler light. No need to trim frame or even relocate vacuum pump. I left the crash bar on- it's not really noticeable and the more steel I have up front the better in a crash.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the lower chin on the front is non-structural and really offers no support to anything and I wouldn't hesitate to cut it off. As for the rear, I personally don't like the idea of cutting off the cross member because, well, it's a CROSSMEMBER and a structural part of your frame that not only helps to keep it ridged, it's also designed to be strong enough to tow from. But hey, that's just me.

randomhero199

As far as the front goes, what do you gain with these smaller bumpers that are requiring front frame rails be shortened by 2" or so, a bit better approach and aesthetics I guess? The idea of something that bolts on, leaves vacuum pump alone is more appealing than hacking up the frame and relocating the vacuum pump, but I have to say I'm a big fan of these minimalist, smaller bumpers. I'm not a fan of cutting the rear, for exactly reasons mentioned above.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As far as the front goes, what do you gain with these smaller bumpers that are requiring front frame rails be shortened by 2" or so, a bit better approach and aesthetics I guess? The idea of something that bolts on, leaves vacuum pump alone is more appealing than hacking up the frame and relocating the vacuum pump, but I have to say I'm a big fan of these minimalist, smaller bumpers. I'm not a fan of cutting the rear, for exactly reasons mentioned above.

Well, you get about 2" of less crumple zone and you're no loner able to mount a winch down low between your frame rails and out of the way of your grill.

Jackal01

I 100% regret going with the rear PSC BFH bumper because I had to cut about half the cross member out and shorten the frame rails. I was truly not paying attention and realized afterwards that the the tow hitch mounts to that cross member. I had not done research into hitches then so I figured they mounted a different method. All of this was my fault for not paying enough attention. Lesson learned. :doh: I just hope the ass-end is still mostly-structurally sound. Luckily, Crawler Conceptz makes a very similar bumper with an integrated hitch and it can do some towing but not like factory.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Cutting off the "crash bar" is nothing. Along with relocating the vac pump. I went with the EVO 1/4 pounder and their vac pump relocate kit. Have had zero issues to date just like many others on here. I liked the EVO bumper as soon as I saw it so I really haven't looked at other bumpers out there. I like the fact that the 1/4 pounder lets you set the winch down between the frame rails and not block as much of the radiator. Specially with the Warn Powerplant that would block alot of the grill if it set on top of the bumper. I would not start cutting off the frame horns unless the jeep was gonna become a play toy only. Even then I don't know if I would or not.

I think the only purpose of that "crash bar" is to give a place for the push pins to attach to for the lower air dam, which you get rid of with a lot of bumpers, as well as to help protect the sway bar motor on the Rubicon models. I rotated my motor up and now its up out of the way. If I hit it now, I'm gonna be having other issues as well.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
these all seem like negatives... :grayno:

I 100% regret going with the rear PSC BFH bumper because I had to cut about half the cross member out and shorten the frame rails. I was truly not paying attention and realized afterwards that the the tow hitch mounts to that cross member. I had not done research into hitches then so I figured they mounted a different method. All of this was my fault for not paying enough attention. Lesson learned. :doh: I just hope the ass-end is still mostly-structurally sound. Luckily, Crawler Conceptz makes a very similar bumper with an integrated hitch and it can do some towing but not like factory.

Cutting off the "crash bar" is nothing. Along with relocating the vac pump. I went with the EVO 1/4 pounder and their vac pump relocate kit. Have had zero issues to date just like many others on here. I liked the EVO bumper as soon as I saw it so I really haven't looked at other bumpers out there. I like the fact that the 1/4 pounder lets you set the winch down between the frame rails and not block as much of the radiator. Specially with the Warn Powerplant that would block alot of the grill if it set on top of the bumper. I would not start cutting off the frame horns unless the jeep was gonna become a play toy only. Even then I don't know if I would or not.

I think the only purpose of that "crash bar" is to give a place for the push pins to attach to for the lower air dam, which you get rid of with a lot of bumpers, as well as to help protect the sway bar motor on the Rubicon models. I rotated my motor up and now its up out of the way. If I hit it now, I'm gonna be having other issues as well.

These are pretty much all of the reasons I decided to with the EVO 1/4 Pounder Front Bumper in Steel. From an insurance adjuster perspective, you want those additional frame rail space, especially when you are talking airbag deployment and such. I just could not justify the Poison Spyder stuff. They market their products well, but when you think about it and talk to others, the parts are just not worth it.

Also, I was concerned about having a large winch (I purchased the Zeon 10-S) taking up so much AC Condensor/Radiator coverage. I am glad to hear about your good news Mud, since I also purchased the Vac Pump Relocation kit.

Top Bottom