Front and rear light installs 2016 JKUR

acamp75

Hey everyone,
As I said before, I have some questions........................
So I am going to install all of my lights, or at least the ones I have so far, and I need to get some advice on wire routing. I have a 50" LED bar to install across the windshield and two RIGID knockoffs to go on the same brackets on each side of the windshield, can I please get some input as to the best way of running the wiring up to the lights? I want to keep the wiring as protected/hidden as possible and I need to run the wiring through the firewall up to the APillar where the switches are to be mounted. I also have a pair of LEDs that will mount on the mast of my AEV tire carrier, I can run the wires through the firewall with the wires for the front lights, or should I keep all the wiring I can inside until I get to the tailgate and figure out how to run them outside from there? I'm going to FAB a simple bracket that will hold the rear lights, but being new to a Jeep I know nothing about the correct way of running wires inside or out.
Thanks for all the help that I know is coming,
Acamp75

Havoc40

The cleanest way to do it, is having some sort of power distribution box. If you search here for "DIY sPod" you'll bring up an awesome thread showing how to build one. Aside from simplifying the wiring, it'll keep all the circuits properly protected. There's also the prebuilt Painless system which is nice.

You can wire the lights straight to the battery with the Rigid harness like their instructions show. Only problem with that is after adding more and more accessories, you end up with a mess under the hood. To each their own, though.

Edit: added some pics of my set-up

20150404_161510.jpg
20150405_141020.jpg
20150404_134151.jpg

Last edited:

acamp75

I will look into the block idea. I have relays and wiring harnesses for all my lights but I really like the distribution block. I also was wondering where to run the wires out of the cabin, firewall location, driver or passenger side. Rear location, out through the tailgate or just run it out the firewall and under the jeep to the back. What has worked best for other people? Thank you so much for the info. This forum is awesome!!!

Havoc40

For the front lights, I went through the firewall on the driver side. The main power wires for the distribution box, I went through a hole behind the battery box. My rear lights and rock lights, I went underneath and up into the a flap on the driver side, that leads up into the tail light area. There's a grommet in there leading into the cab, that I cut...then ran my wires down the door sill up to the box.

james2003w

I was looking at installing additional lights in the back as well. If you pull off the molding and lift up the carpet on the passenger side there is a whole bundle of wire that runs along floor inside to the back.

Running the wire here allows you to use the port built into the tailgate or run through the drain plug where the factory jack is located. In doing so you don't have to worry about wires under your vehicle coming lose or getting damaged (I know there are ways to mitigate this). Also if you're like me and have an OCD for wire management it's a cleaner setup.

Top Bottom