Need a little advice on next mod.

Jkjosh14

So I've got a 2014 JK Sport six speed and a little money saved up. I can't decide if i should get gears due to having 35's and stock 3.21 gears or getting a Warn M8000 and then having some money left for other mods. I can't afford to do lockers yet so it would be a gear change but still open diffs. I don't do a lot of highway driving so the stock gears don't bother me to much but when I do drive on the highway it does leave a lot to be desired. The other side of the coin is having a winch will make me a lot more capable of getting my self unstuck instead of relying on others which is a huge plus. Now I'm not going to lie and say I'm a badd ass hardcore off roader thats on the trails every day but i would like to get out there more and i feel that having a winch would increase my confidence in doing so. what do you guys and gals think?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I think those are two very logical next mods, but if I had to pick one over the other it would be the winch. Purchase a good winch and some recovery gear and go have fun. Re gearing is going to help a ton, but you can survive if you have a decent winch.

dmpowder

Do the winch and save so you can do gears and lockers at the same time.

Which would you rather do, Be happy on the highway or out playing in nature?

Frost

I would go with the winch, and wait to regear until you have enough saved up to put in lockers at the same time. It will save you money in labor fees.
Is your jeep a 2 door or 4 door? Heavy with armor, and bumpers or no??

OkstateJK

I agree with the others that the winch should come first, especially if it will encourage you to get out and spend more time on the trail.

What kind of trails do you like? I thought long and hard about doing lockers when I regeared and decided against it. The BLD in the JK works very well. I wheel with 2 Rubicons. Every time I have needed a winch, so have they. I don't do rock crawling though since I drive mine every day. If you just like moderate trails with the occasional tough obstacle, it's been my experience that you don't really need lockers if you have a winch.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm in the same boat, except I have 33's. I'd like lockers, too, but I went with a winch first. I don't want the expense of axle work yet.

toxicwaste29

My set up is just like yours. 2012 6 speed 35's and 3.21 gears. I only ever take it into 5th on the highway and sometimes down into fourth hauling. I got a winch because I'd rather get my self out of places than have a little bit more gearing and be sol

Top Bottom