EVO question...yes another question

reelsilly

I'm going to be very honest here. Until I joined, and began talking with y'all, I never heard the name EVO. Well, after reading 6,345 threads of info, I believe I'm sold.

I was going to get a "gift" from a family member but learned this person got into some trouble and, well, yeahhhhhhh...

Anyway, I want to do things right for my needs vs my wants. As I've stated in other threads, I live in flat areas of NC. I will be running 33's for a while, until I can get rid of these 3.21's then I will go to a different gear and 35" max.

I will be doing some off roading but no rock climbing really. I was looking at maybe the EVO 1.5 leveling kit and Bilsten 5100 shocks. Is there anything else you guys think I will definitely need with this? Exhaust spacer, brake line ext, sway bar links, anything like that?

I'm leaning to the "going all one brand" thing, so if I get this, EVO will be what I buy for everything else.

Now, my next question, I have a 2 door, and with 33" tires, will their front bumper look silly? If anyone has that set up, I would love to see a pic.

Thanks again guys, the build will begin soon I hope. (Nothing spectacular though)

JAGS

Hooked
I think the newer EVO pro bumper with more of the bull bar look would look sick with the leveling kit. [emoji106]

You'd be fine with the bilsteins but may also want to look at the rancho shock options.

Jkjosh14

I don't think the Evo bumper and 33's would look silly at all. I also have the Evo leveling kit and I love it. It was a simple install with basic hand tools and the ride is great. If you don't have a rubicon some quick disconnect away bar links would be a good add on

reelsilly

One day I will get a 3" enforcer lift. Working on a law enforcement salary and all the hours I work currently says, EVO leveling kit, lol.

My jeep is "light" so to speak, no metal bumpers yet, or a winch. When I add the bumper, do you guys think it will sag again? I'm new to enforcer and doing the lift thing myself. This is my third jeep, but the other two came with everything installed. I wanted stock this time so I could do it the way I wanted with the items I wanted. The first two lifts, whatever they were, road like a go kart...BUMPY AS HELL

Kalums

One day I will get a 3" enforcer lift. Working on a law enforcement salary and all the hours I work currently says, EVO leveling kit, lol.

My jeep is "light" so to speak, no metal bumpers yet, or a winch. When I add the bumper, do you guys think it will sag again? I'm new to enforcer and doing the lift thing myself. This is my third jeep, but the other two came with everything installed. I wanted stock this time so I could do it the way I wanted with the items I wanted. The first two lifts, whatever they were, road like a go kart...BUMPY AS HELL

I definitely understand the LEO paycheck..... Back to the lift, I personally have the Evo leveling kit and 285/70/17 (roughly 33s)duratracs on the stock moab rims, love it works out really well for me it was easy to install and the ride is almost exactly like stock( but each person's ride experience is subjective) I do 90%of my driving on the highway at 70-80 (depending on traffic), when I do go camping /off-road / with the EVO no limits sway bar disconnect and a Rubicon sway bar I pretty much go anywhere I want /need to. I did not install extended bump stops, but I did install +2" braided brake lines front and rear (mainly because the stock ones were already dry rot cracking). I stuck with the Rubicon stock shocks, but once these die in going for the Rancho 9000s. I personally really am impressed by the the EVO items that I have gotten and use BTW with out any bumpers with the EVO kit my 13' sits exactly level front to rear (with a 1 meter level held on the pinch seam and frame on both sides....) And that's after being on for almost a year.

reelsilly

I definitely understand the LEO paycheck..... Back to the lift, I personally have the Evo leveling kit and 285/70/17 (roughly 33s)duratracs on the stock moab rims, love it works out really well for me it was easy to install and the ride is almost exactly like stock( but each person's ride experience is subjective) I do 90%of my driving on the highway at 70-80 (depending on traffic), when I do go camping /off-road / with the EVO no limits sway bar disconnect and a Rubicon sway bar I pretty much go anywhere I want /need to. I did not install extended bump stops, but I did install +2" braided brake lines front and rear (mainly because the stock ones were already dry rot cracking). I stuck with the Rubicon stock shocks, but once these die in going for the Rancho 9000s. I personally really am impressed by the the EVO items that I have gotten and use BTW with out any bumpers with the EVO kit my 13' sits exactly level front to rear (with a 1 meter level held on the pinch seam and frame on both sides....) And that's after being on for almost a year.

I'm going to run the BFG KO2's in a 285/70/17 on after market rims. Do you happen to have a side and front shot of yours?

I'm going with a different shock as the other half bitches about feeling all the bumps. I tried to use that in my favor and showed her the 3" enforcer kit and the coil over...she laughed. She also said it was not a practical vehicle and that I should get a dodge truck again. I told her that I had no problems with being single again, so now I'm on the couch typing this.

Really though, I've heard great things about the Bilsten 5100's with this kit. I have the factory shocks (sport) on it now, and also have a set of JKUR shocks and rear springs, sitting in my barn, as well :)

Last edited:

reelsilly

I'm probably going to buy this kit tomorrow. I've looked at several photos with it installed. It looks good

TennJK

I'm probably going to buy this kit tomorrow. I've looked at several photos with it installed. It looks good

Everyone that I have talked to loves it. I was going to do the leveling kit, but in the end decided to just go on with the enforcer and 35s. I think that if you're sticking with 33s for the time being, the leveling kit would be perfect for you. I will say though for the Rancho 9000's, their ride is very nice from what I've heard as well. You can adjust how you want it. A lot of the guys here run them as well. I'll probably be moving to a set in the future. Looking forward to seeing pics when it's all said and done!

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug

I have the leveling kit on my Rubi just to make it a tad taller than stock until I save up for an enforcer lift. The ride isn't all that bad with the rubicon shocks (actually, it feels nicer than stock.... EVO springs FTW). I don't think you can go wrong with using some bilstein or rancho shocks but you might want to check for sale threads or craigslist to see if anyone is selling off a set of the rubicon shocks for cheap. The leveling kit has held up nicely with my ARb stubby bumper and the winch. No complaints regarding sagging. I'm still only running the stock BFGs that came with the rubicon trim model.

Kalums

Hahaha I can relate to that, I'm in class right now but as soon as I can I will either PM or post some pics

reelsilly

I have the leveling kit on my Rubi just to make it a tad taller than stock until I save up for an enforcer lift. The ride isn't all that bad with the rubicon shocks (actually, it feels nicer than stock.... EVO springs FTW). I don't think you can go wrong with using some bilstein or rancho shocks but you might want to check for sale threads or craigslist to see if anyone is selling off a set of the rubicon shocks for cheap. The leveling kit has held up nicely with my ARb stubby bumper and the winch. No complaints regarding sagging. I'm still only running the stock BFGs that came with the rubicon trim model.

I do have a set of Rubi shocks. I purchased a set off a JK Unlimited Rubicon. I also have a set of springs with a higher number than I currently have on the back.

It can get a bit "silly" with all the opinions and arguments about this shock and that shock. This set up vs stock set up. I like to hear personal experiences the most, that's why I ask so many questions I guess.

I planned on running a set of take offs but shit, I can get a nice, better than stock, leveling kit for the price I would pay for take offs and sway bar links and all that jazz.

Thanks for the feedback as well. I really appreciate it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
You can run the leveling kit plus the rubi shocks for now until you decide what shock you want. Since you have the rubi shocks anyways. I don't think a shock extension is needed but not sure.

ski313

I just put the leveling kit in my 2 door and it is sitting a bit nose high. You may want to see if that will drive you crazy and maybe get bigger pucks for the back. I'm not sure if it will settle a bit, but it kind of bugs me. I read that this might happen, but I didn't want to mess with the kit as it was designed as I heard such wonderful things about it. I do love the ride though and would still recommend it. Just fyi

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
I do have a set of Rubi shocks. I purchased a set off a JK Unlimited Rubicon. I also have a set of springs with a higher number than I currently have on the back.

It can get a bit "silly" with all the opinions and arguments about this shock and that shock. This set up vs stock set up. I like to hear personal experiences the most, that's why I ask so many questions I guess.

I planned on running a set of take offs but shit, I can get a nice, better than stock, leveling kit for the price I would pay for take offs and sway bar links and all that jazz.

Thanks for the feedback as well. I really appreciate it.

Gah, swing and a miss on my part. My mind must have been elsewhere when I was reading through. Sorry about that. Yup, I understand wanting to get input from personal accounts. Woah, didn't realize that take offs would be that much, good to know.

reelsilly

Yeah, most folks now understand that take offs are being used more on a regular basis. Around here and on line we use to buy them for 50.00 for a set of springs and shocks, now folks want 100.00+ for them.

In the plains of NC there is not a huge need for larger lifts and such, so the ones that do lift, usually buy them that way and the dealership then sells them to companies who in turn, mark them up to make money.

It's hard to find a fellow jeeper that still has their springs and shocks. I got lucky on that part. Figured I would just go ahead and get something that's going to benefit me and not sad with weight and time.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Another option is to run the 3/4" teraflex leveling spacers up front. I did that to my Rubicon until I could afford a bigger lift. It's only $35 and well worth it for the extra height. Then you can put that $200 towards your gear upgrade.

Top Bottom