Evo vs Poison spyder corners

projectMMTB

I was looking at buying a set of rear corner guards and a new set of ORO tail lights and when I was searching I noticed that there was a huge price difference. For bare steel corners for a 4dr Evo is $269 and poison spyder is $399.
Any suggestions is to why the price difference for essentially the same thing? I thought evo might not be selling the pair but it doesn't say only one side.
Thanks in advance!

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I was looking at buying a set of rear corner guards and a new set of ORO tail lights and when I was searching I noticed that there was a huge price difference. For bare steel corners for a 4dr Evo is $269 and poison spyder is $399.
Any suggestions is to why the price difference for essentially the same thing? I thought evo might not be selling the pair but it doesn't say only one side.
Thanks in advance!

PSC is stamped to mold to the corners of the factory lines. They use rear AEV corner to make theirs. It's also a thinner gauge metal than the EVO's.

EVO is not a stamped corner, it's laser cut and bent.

Peak

Another difference is the Poison Spyder corners have two holes for tail and reverse lights while the EVO's have only one 4" hole. I'd still get the EVOs any day, great quality at a great price.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So which would you recommend? I'm also in the market for corners:)

Is their an advantage to PSC stamping their corners? Do they fit better?

The AEV/PSC corners are a lot thinner but they do have a factory like fit due to the fact that they're stamped. If looks and ease of installation is more important to you, they are what I would recommend. EVO corners are a lot thicker and are designed for strength. For my purposes, the later was more important and that's why I went with them.

BLCK4X4

The AEV/PSC corners are a lot thinner but they do have a factory like fit due to the fact that they're stamped. If looks and ease of installation is more important to you, they are what I would recommend. EVO corners are a lot thicker and are designed for strength. For my purposes, the later was more important and that's why I went with them.

Now, would the EVO tire carrier work with the PSC corners?
That's where I'm thrown between the two?

sjd78

What are your thoughts on aluminum corners sir? Obviously they are lighter but do they offer much in the way of protection?

JAGS

Hooked
Now, would the EVO tire carrier work with the PSC corners?
That's where I'm thrown between the two?

No, at least not without a lot of customization by EVO. Even with that, it likely still wouldn't work as the design of EVO skins are meant to perform and cantilever for the weight of the tire carrier and tire.

The corner angle of the rear EVO skins is also where the tire carrier brackets are mounted/bolted. While you don't have to run EVO carrier, the whole thing was really built to work together.

projectMMTB

Thanks for the replies y'all!
Probably gonna end up with evo:
Less expensive and better protection and I'm also considering the evo tire carrier which doesn't work with psc corners as stated

BLCK4X4

Less expensive and better protection and I'm also considering the evo tire carrier which doesn't work with psc corners as stated

I love the protection that the EVO carrier gives your spare..not to mention it looks pretty badass..but that's a TOTAL preference !!

Nice choice!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455157953.407234.jpg

RedSyndrome

PSC is stamped to mold to the corners of the factory lines. They use rear AEV corner to make theirs. It's also a thinner gauge metal than the EVO's.

EVO is not a stamped corner, it's laser cut and bent.

I was under the impression that PSC had moved away from the AEV rear and was making the whole thing. Stamped and thinner though. The PSC name carries a premium. For the slight weight savings, go with the strength.

JAGS

Hooked

I can vouch for the protection aspect. I recently pulled a dumb ass move and tried to ride out a bad line through some rocks and bushes. Ended up putting nearly the entire weight of the jeep on its side.

One major point of contact was the passenger armor. Made just a small scratch in the armor. The impact was enough to disperse to the body panel a bit. But a little touch up paint will fix that up. I likely would've had to replace/repair the entire stock corner had the armor had not been there.

Not to mention the benefit of the corners allowing you to run the EVO carrier.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455168795.578628.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455168837.301935.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I was under the impression that PSC had moved away from the AEV rear and was making the whole thing. Stamped and thinner though. The PSC name carries a premium. For the slight weight savings, go with the strength.

It could be, but stamps are not cheap. I can't imagine they bought their own.

Heholua

It could be, but stamps are not cheap. I can't imagine they bought their own.

PSC is not stamping their corners. They have a CNC press break machine that does the bending. They used an AEV stamped corner as their template that they digitized into the CNC program.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
PSC is not stamping their corners. They have a CNC press break machine that does the bending. They used an AEV stamped corner as their template that they digitized into the CNC program.

Good to know, at the beginning the welded onto AEV corner. Glad to hear it's made in house now.

Top Bottom