Washboard roads and shocks

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I am looking for opinions on the best possible shocks that can handle roads like these. I run a lot of these roads as well as logging ans service roads. I am running 4 dr coils and rubi shocks with a TF leveling kit on my 2 dr. I have read that I might want to try shock extensions, or a better single tube shocks or shocks with reservoirs. I do plan on upgrading to 33-35's down the road.

I am not going to lie and would like to upgrade to EVO plush springs down the road.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!:beer:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That is another option. Do you have on board air? If so what are you running?

I do but I wouldn't recommend what I have. While it has served me fine with few issues, others I know have overheating issues with it. (I have a viair)

I would look into the ARB compressor.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I do but I wouldn't recommend what I have. While it has served me fine with few issues, others I know have overheating issues with it. (I have a viair)

Thanks! That is one option. I would need something like that especially from hard to soft pavement.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks! That is one option. I would need something like that especially from hard to soft pavement.

Next time I go out on roads like that, I'll pay attention and let you know.

As far as compressors, I plan on getting the ARB twin portable hopefully before summer. I currently run a cheapy that takes way too long. That way if I had to lend a hand to another rig, it's easy to move from vehicle to vehicle.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have heard going with some prorock axles and Evo DTD suspension is good for that kind of driving.

Actually going faster will smooth the ride out, but staying in control will be an issue and possible breakage too. I grew up on washboard roads.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Next time I go out on roads like that, I'll pay attention and let you know.

As far as compressors, I plan on getting the ARB twin portable hopefully before summer. I currently run a cheapy that takes way too long. That way if I had to lend a hand to another rig, it's easy to move from vehicle to vehicle.

Thanks !:beer:

jagrubb99

That's a good way to pinch sidewalls lol

If you know the correct pressure to run at for your tires, you can easily air down to a lower pressure without the slightest chance of pinching a sidewall. Something like upper teens to lower 20s should work just fine

BlackHawk08jk

If you know the correct pressure to run at for your tires, you can easily air down to a lower pressure without the slightest chance of pinching a sidewall. Something like upper teens to lower 20s should work just fine

I agree with this. I only run 25psi in my tires all the time. I've got about 25k miles on them now with no trouble

Ddays

Hooked
I agree with this. I only run 25psi in my tires all the time. I've got about 25k miles on them now with no trouble

^^ X2. 25psi, almost 20k and zero issues.

I bought an ARB double compressor last Fall at a local 4wd store at their show as they were running a special. Look around now & see if you can find a good deal. I mounted mine under the passenger seat with a CMM mount. Stays tucked up & out of the way nicely there.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

I bought an ARB double compressor last Fall at a local 4wd store at their show as they were running a special. Look around now & see if you can find a good deal. I mounted mine under the passenger seat with a CMM mount. Stays tucked up & out of the way nicely there.

Love to see pics if you do not mind

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Love to see pics if you do not mind

Ddays just installed one. Go to his build thread to see it under the seat. Since you have a two door tho it's hard to install one there since you need to fold it forward to allow people in the back

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I am looking for opinions on the best possible shocks that can handle roads like these. I run a lot of these roads as well as logging ans service roads. I am running 4 dr coils and rubi shocks with a TF leveling kit on my 2 dr. I have read that I might want to try shock extensions, or a better single tube shocks or shocks with reservoirs. I do plan on upgrading to 33-35's down the road.

I am not going to lie and would like to upgrade to EVO plush springs down the road.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!:beer:

Reservoirs are great for keeping your shocks from fading if you are going to be driving lots of washboard roads fast and for long periods of time. If you are the type to take your time, make frequent stops to explore, etc then they are far from needed. I ran the Fox 2.0 shocks and they handled washboard roads and big bumps great at speed, but at the cost of being stiff on the road and feeling a lot of road imperfections at regular speed and daily driving. I'm running the Rancho 5000s right now. They handle daily driving better than the Fox shocks (I prefer a softer ride) but are not as good as the Fox's when soaking up bumps at speed or rebounding on washboard roads. I'm considering the Rancho 9000s right now because I can have the ability to dial them in for what I need, and the 9000s are available with or without reservoirs as well. I'm going to try one of those options out with my JKS springs, and if it's still not soft enough, then I'm swapping to 3" plush rides as well. Good luck on your search Pete!

blackrubi14

I just recently installed the twin ARB compressor and have to say, I'm pretty impressed so far.

RockyJk

You guys don't air down to less than 25psi?

My post was more of a joke since I pinched 4 sidewalls in one weekend (at 20psi) in Death Valley

Top Bottom