When Commifornia Senator Feinstein can't do it...Obama can!

StrizzyChris

Obama creates 3 new national monuments to protect 1.8 million acres of California desert
California desert gains three national monuments
Louis Sahagun Louis SahagunContact Reporter

President Obama designated three new national monuments in the California desert Thursday, expanding federal protection to 1.8 million acres of landscapes that have retained their natural beauty despite decades of heavy mining, cattle ranching and off-roading.

The designation was requested by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, who for a decade has sought to protect land that wasn't included in the 1994 California Desert Protection Act. That measure covered nearly 7.6 million acres, elevated Death Valley and Joshua Tree to national park status and created the Mojave National Preserve.

Unable to gain momentum on her California Desert Conservation and Recreation Act last year, Feinstein and conservation groups asked Obama to act unilaterally to create the three monuments overlapping biological zones between roughly Palm Springs and the Nevada border.

NEWSLETTER: Get essential California headlines delivered daily >>

The areas embrace volcanic spires, dunes, ribbons of wetlands wedged between steep canyon walls, grasslands, Joshua tree forests, historic roadways and petroglyphs. They are home to species that thrive despite withering heat and scant rainfall: bighorn sheep, tortoises, fringe-toed lizards and more than 250 types of birds.

"The effort to preserve the California desert has been a long one, and today is a major milestone," Feinstein said. "This kind of landscape is so much a part of what the West once was, and these monuments are icons of our cultural heritage. Simply put, the California desert is a national treasure. This designation only reaffirms that fact."

National monuments designated
Concern over the long-term health of the deceptively delicate terrain spurred Obama to designate the Mojave Trails, Sand to Snow and Castle Mountains monuments under the 1906 Antiquities Act, which authorizes presidents to create national monuments on federal land to protect "objects of historic and scientific interest."

With his second term winding down, Obama has now protected more than 265 million acres of land and water, more than any other administration. A year ago, Obama designated much of the Angeles National Forest as the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument.

The designations, which do not include funding, were supported by groups including the nonprofit National Parks Conservation Assn., the Sierra Club, Defenders of Wildlife, the Center for Biological Diversity and the Mojave Desert Land Trust.

Much of the land was purchased more than a decade ago by private citizens and the Wildlands Conservancy, then donated to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management in anticipation of its eventually receiving the protection of national monument status.

"This is the pinnacle of a 15-year effort to preserve the physical heart of the Mojave Desert for conservation, recreation and unparalleled inspiration," said David Myers, executive director of the Wildlands Conservancy.

See the most-read stories this hour >>

The designations preserve unique natural and cultural resources and enhance the region's economic activity by attracting visitors, increasing tourism and ensuring public access for hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, rock climbing and other outdoor recreational activities.

Mojave Trails National Monument encompasses 1.6 million acres of federal land and former railroad property along a 105-mile stretch of old Route 66 between Ludlow and Needles. It protects wildlife corridors linking Joshua Tree National Park and the Mojave National Preserve.

Sand to Snow National Monument, about 45 miles east of Riverside, includes about 154,000 acres of federal land between Joshua Tree National Park and the San Bernardino National Forest in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

The area includes 24 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail, an estimated 1,700 petroglyphs and Big Morongo Canyon, a bird-watching destination along a perennial stream designated a federal Area of Critical Environmental Concern in 1982.

Castle Mountains in the Eastern Mojave Desert
The Castle Mountains encompass native desert grasslands and wildlife habitat for Golden Eagles, and some of the finest Joshua tree forests in the California Desert.
Castle Mountains National Monument encompasses 20,920 acres featuring a row of jagged peaks rising above contorted Joshua trees and rare native desert grasslands between Interstates 15 and 40, about 100 miles south of Las Vegas. The area includes the historic mining camp of Hart, about 10 miles from the Nevada border.

It surrounds — but does not include — an open-pit mine at the southern end of the Castle Mountains owned by NewCastle Gold Ltd., of Canada, which has a permit allowing it to excavate nearly 10 million tons of ore through 2025. Mining at the site was suspended in 2001 because of low gold prices.

David Lamfrom, director of California desert and wildlife programs for the National Parks Conservation Assn., has spent nearly a decade arguing the cause of conservation in the Castle Mountains.

On a recent visit, Lamfrom's pickup truck was the only vehicle in sight along a washboard dirt road lined with pinyon pine trees and barrel and cholla cactus on the northern flanks of the range he calls "one of California's greatest scenic attractions."

Lamfrom brought his truck to a stop on a ridge overlooking a prairie of native grasses stretching for miles in all directions. Giving the vista an approving nod, he said, "A few centuries ago, Mexican wolves chased pronghorn antelope across this very landscape.

"We're already in discussions with federal wildlife authorities," he added, "about taking the next step: reintroducing species of a bygone era, starting with pronghorn antelope."

Here's a link to the Article http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-monuments-20160212-story.html

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Obama has now protected more than 265 million acres of land and water, more than any other administration.

Just read that in the news too. There just went a ton more trails that I grew up exploring. And here I thought it was bad after then, president Bill Clinton knocked out a ton of trails. :rolleyes2:

Jeepnoub

Just adds to my saying. If is loud, fun, or goes boom it probably illegal in California. Looks like fineswine wants to go out with a bang.

Angry Aussie

Why do they do this?!?!? Damn it. What's the point of having all this land if it's just gonna get protected and no one gets to see it or enjoy it. Seems pretty counter productive in my opinion.

Also seems like the folks arguing to get these areas protected are the most immature and childish people. Just because they love the land in some way they think on some level they own the land and are taking a child's mentality "this is mine and you can't play with it or look at it, it's mine". Just another example of how insanely selfish some people are.

Sorry to hear this.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Just read that in the news too. There just went a ton more trails that I grew up exploring. And here I thought it was bad after then, president Bill Clinton knocked out a ton of trails. :rolleyes2:

I read the article and it mentions bringing visitors to the area. Does this mean that the trails will still be restricted? Being new, I have no experience seeing what happens to Jeep trails when the land becomes protected.

Byte

I read the article and it mentions bringing visitors to the area. Does this mean that the trails will still be restricted? Being new, I have no experience seeing what happens to Jeep trails when the land becomes protected.

They gate it off and post no motor vehicle signs and it now becomes a federal felony offense to do anything on the land they don't feel like letting you do. It's still open for foot and bicycle traffic. It restricts usage to a very narrow scope to appease an extremely small percentage of the population all using a power that the feds do not possess. The people of California have not supported her land grab. Doesn't sound like the people want her way. Exactly what is going on with the BLM in Oregon. Do some checking and see if there are any hints of shady dealings where the Fiensteins and/or their crony posse profit greatly from this government over reach.

And now with fed control, not only will the people of California suffer the loss of the land but the rest of the nation gets to help foot the bill for 'management' in the form of increased taxation. :grayno: The intention is to claim ownership of the land and when the future need arises to gather/mine resources the feds will control those resources rather than the states in which the land sits. Again, exactly like what is happening in Burns, OR.

HoosierWolf

Why the heck do Californians keep voting in Feinstein? I'm not sure there is anything she and I agree on and I really wish CA would vote her out so they and the rest of us can stop putting up with her BS.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

The "idea" of National Monument status is nice in that it will prevent the lands in question from ever being developed. In a big way, this is what we as off-roaders want. The "reality" of it is or I should say, what I have seen over my lifetime of exploring the desert is that countless trails, most of which are designated routes and have existed over 100 years ago get closed to vehicular traffic and that's not what we want. What's so frustrating is that so many of the people who want to close off these areas are the same people who would NEVER spend any time in them. Do you think Obama or Feinstein would ever hike out in the Mojave desert under the beating sun and triple degree heat? I think not. I should also note that by closing these areas to vehicular traffic, the government is effectively discriminating against a population of older Americans or people who might have health issues or might be handicap and may not be able to access these lands on foot. These land grabs by the Federal government are just so infuriating.

Sudz

Somebody voted these ass clowns in. I guess Californians don't like open access to their deserts. shame.

Another asshole who is trying to shut everything down is Robert Redford. He's works behind the scenes in Utah supporting land trust preservation efforts.

I wonder if Trump is a open access guy?

Byte

I wonder if Trump is a open access guy?

Doubt it very much. He's a corpratist/statist. Once he's at the head of the corporation known as the Unites States he'll most likely do everything he feels he can get away with to increase that corporation's bottom line. He'll most likely claim more. It's who he is and what he lives to do. Maybe he'll pull an FDR and put the US, Inc into bankruptcy again (though each president since has extended that national emergency on paper so he won't even have to do so with any transparency). That seems to be his MO, as well. He's as much of a textbook fascist as the next businessman or lawyer turned political hack who uses the power of he state to profit personally at the expense of the rest of us.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Why the heck do Californians keep voting in Feinstein? I'm not sure there is anything she and I agree on and I really wish CA would vote her out so they and the rest of us can stop putting up with her BS.

Because there are 100 voters for every one of us in the libtard cities of California!

Ddays

Hooked
The "idea" of National Monument status is nice in that it will prevent the lands in question from ever being developed. In a big way, this is what we as off-roaders want. The "reality" of it is or I should say, what I have seen over my lifetime of exploring the desert is that countless trails, most of which are designated routes and have existed over 100 years ago get closed to vehicular traffic and that's not what we want. What's so frustrating is that so many of the people who want to close off these areas are the same people who would NEVER spend any time in them. Do you think Obama or Feinstein would ever hike out in the Mojave desert under the beating sun and triple degree heat? I think not. I should also note that by closing these areas to vehicular traffic, the government is effectively discriminating against a population of older Americans or people who might have health issues or might be handicap and may not be able to access these lands on foot. These land grabs by the Federal government are just so infuriating.

So basically the folks that used the land the least closed off the lands from the group of people that used it and cared for it the most :grayno:

And now they can feel good about themselves for doing such a wonderful job...

Moochie

So basically the folks that used the land the least closed off the lands from the group of people that used it and cared for it the most :grayno:

And now they can feel good about themselves for doing such a wonderful job...

From what I have read, there are no plans to close off any trails. There will be no more solar facilities allowed on any of these lands though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I have read, there are no plans to close off any trails. There will be no more solar facilities allowed on any of these lands though.

No need to I guess, they already closed TONS of trails prior to it becoming a National Monument. Growing up, I used to explore much of the area out in the new Mojave Trails National Monument. Out by Amboy, the Trilobite Mountains and out by Cadiz - ALL of them have been closed off and now you can only enter on foot (such as Amboy Crater) or by special permit (Trilobite Wilderness).

mackey

Idaho has thousands and thousands of open land to explore. It's not the desert and has a lot less big rocks but I gotta love how I'm regulated the state is. I'm sure Eddie feels the same about Nevada. To many good people and jobs leaving CA.

KJ_CJtoJK

......I should also note that by closing these areas to vehicular traffic, the government is effectively discriminating against a population of older Americans or people who might have health issues or might be handicap and may not be able to access these lands on foot. These land grabs by the Federal government are just so infuriating.

This point you make about discrimination is what bugs me the most. The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) is over the top in requiring access to people with disabilities in all public places from sidewalks to parking lots, business entrances, bathrooms, etc. Many businesses in older buildings in California have been forced out of business because they can not afford all the upgrades when someone sues them for not being accessible. Yet our national parks and public lands can discriminate by not being accessible for all Americans.. This hits home with me because my dad is a disabled vet (paralyzed on his left side) and he can never see many of these wild and scenic public places.

CAL4-Wheel sent out a warning about this possibly happening last week, and I (along with many others) sent e-mails to the President and Secretary of the Interior urging them not to do this, but obviously they had an agenda and did not want to listen.

Last edited:
they just want to take all of the land so there eventually will be no where but the cities and they can more easily control the population.

Top Bottom