Navigation

segt99

I have never done it but for my 2008 wrangler I was told if I wanted the update I had to go to the dealer and pay for it. I can't remember what the cost was. It was over $100. Needless to say I dealt with the old maps.

dbierman

I did. They told me they don't do that, that I need to check my manual.

The nav unit has an update feature. When I try that it tells me to insert a black memory stick. I do that and it never recognizes it, it actually opens the media function like it thinks I'm trying to play music from the memory stick.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
No trick. You have to purchase the update DVD from navteq or your dealer...should cost somewhere in the $130...having said that, unless you live in a planned city that didn't exist two years ago, you're not really going to get too much more info on updated software.

james2003w

Thats the problem with the MyGig Nav Units. You have to pay for the map. Almost better off swapping it out for an aftermarket where you can update the maps for free.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thats the problem with the MyGig Nav Units. You have to pay for the map. Almost better off swapping it out for an aftermarket where you can update the maps for free.

Its any factory nav or any aftermarket NON over the air nav. Garmins, alpine, pioneer, etc...all run on navteq, so they all have a fee. If you run google maps or the like, you're just paying for over the air data.

Its any factory nav or any aftermarket NON over the air nav. Garmins, alpine, pioneer, etc...all run on navteq, so they all have a fee. If you run google maps or the like, you're just paying for over the air data.

I have a 2014 JK Rubicon with Navi, and it's not all that great. You'd think for Jeep would invest in installing a killer navi systems for their Jeeps. The navi only stores up to 10 bread-crum trails. Plus the have is analog based and is a bit cumbersome with trying to zoom in and out.

I'm waiting to see if Jeep comes up with a new updated version, then I'll swap my unit out.

dbierman

It's a damn shame. I bought it with this nav unit specifically so I'd have all factory.

My Garmin I paid $130 for 4 years ago that's in my pickup came with lifetime map updates but a $40k jeep you gotta pay for updates.

I travel a highway to work every day that is fairly new is the main reason I want the updates.

Can I just go to a dealer or do I have to buy the disc and do it myself?

Arizona JKU

Trying to plan out the coordinates is such a pain your better off going to funtricks.com and ordering a GPS and trail maps for like 160$.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The ONLY thing I like about the factory nav is that it is built in. That is it.

It is WAY over priced, and way under featured, and has a blurry area at the top edge and/or a black bar that are actually normal. The 730 in my last jeep was a better display than the 430 and I'm even a Garmin fan.

I tried damn hard not get the upgraded radio on my 13. I screwed around and waited till the lots were getting empty and I didn't want to wait another four months on an order with the model year switch.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014 JK Rubicon with Navi, and it's not all that great. You'd think for Jeep would invest in installing a killer navi systems for their Jeeps. The navi only stores up to 10 bread-crum trails. Plus the have is analog based and is a bit cumbersome with trying to zoom in and out.

I'm waiting to see if Jeep comes up with a new updated version, then I'll swap my unit out.

Currently, jeep has the highest rated infotainment system in the industry, including navi...sadly, it's not yet in the Wrangler lol.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's a damn shame. I bought it with this nav unit specifically so I'd have all factory.

My Garmin I paid $130 for 4 years ago that's in my pickup came with lifetime map updates but a $40k jeep you gotta pay for updates.

I travel a highway to work every day that is fairly new is the main reason I want the updates.

Can I just go to a dealer or do I have to buy the disc and do it myself?

You are not paying jeep for the updates, you're paying navteq. You are overvaluing the need to update. The truth is, you won't see anything new unless your area just got a major artery opened that really makes a difference (like a new bridge.) Besides, who cares these days, the best navis are cell phone google maps.

dbierman

You are not paying jeep for the updates, you're paying navteq. You are overvaluing the need to update. The truth is, you won't see anything new unless your area just got a major artery opened that really makes a difference (like a new bridge.) Besides, who cares these days, the best navis are cell phone google maps.

That's exactly the reason I want to update. A major highway that I travel daily to work is not on my maps.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That's exactly the reason I want to update. A major highway that I travel daily to work is not on my maps.

I gotcha. I would also double check with navteq that the new highway is on the updated map before you spend your money. They usually work on 3 year update cycles, although if you report a new project, they can add it to their maps faster.

dbierman

I actually made the call to Garmin a couple of years ago to make sure they added that highway with their next updates.

They got a lot of info from me and the very next update it was in there. [emoji106]🏻

clos0791

Agree, I have a 2015 Sahara and I am not impressed with the Nav unit. I paid a pretty penny for my jeep and love it, but I expected an updated nav unit. A buddy has a 2010 rubi JKU and he has the same unit. They might even go back further? I will also swap mine if a new one comes out.

Top Bottom