PR60 Rear or Build up stock axle?

Hi all.

Looking for some thoughts around whether to build up my stock 2012 Rubicon axle by putting in an ARB and alloy axles or go with a PR60 loaded out.

Cost is a big differentiator. Just curious as to tube strength of stock vs Dynatrac.

Im not planning to go higher than 35s. Currently, stock axle with 488s, 35s, stock electric locker

Thank you for your thoughts.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Hi all.

Looking for some thoughts around whether to build up my stock 2012 Rubicon axle by putting in an ARB and alloy axles or go with a PR60 loaded out.

Cost is a big differentiator. Just curious as to tube strength of stock vs Dynatrac.

Im not planning to go higher than 35s. Currently, stock axle with 488s, 35s, stock electric locker

Thank you for your thoughts.

Unless you wheel like a complete ass (or intend to put a 500 horsepower motor in your Jeep), I don't see why you would even consider dropping the coin on a loaded PR60 just to run 35" tires with 488's. I'd keep what you have and spend the PR60 money in a bunch of other places.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What Sharkey said. If you're planning on sticking with 35's, just run what you have, add some gussets and run it as it. Don't throw anymore money at it then you need to and if down the line you feel the need to replace it, consider a ProRock 44 instead. It's a lot more affordable and really, all that you'd need. But, I doubt you'd even need that.

Thanks Eddie and Sharkey for your input.

I already have a ProRock 44 in the front with the ARB, so this is the final build piece to do. I want an ARB for the rear, but wasnt sure whether it was worth it to drop the coin on built axle vs ARB and alloy axles....

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
What Sharkey said. If you're planning on sticking with 35's, just run what you have, add some gussets and run it as it. Don't throw anymore money at it then you need to and if down the line you feel the need to replace it, consider a ProRock 44 instead. It's a lot more affordable and really, all that you'd need. But, I doubt you'd even need that.

He was talking rear axles not front. [emoji13]

Lol, not often we can correct Eddie. I couldn't resist. Lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie and Sharkey for your input.

I already have a ProRock 44 in the front with the ARB, so this is the final build piece to do. I want an ARB for the rear, but wasnt sure whether it was worth it to drop the coin on built axle vs ARB and alloy axles....

Ah, my mistake. Assuming you have a Sport or Sahara, I would just stick with the factory rear Dana 44 being that you're only going to be running 35" tires. You can get an ARB with 35 spline shafts and you would be good to go for a long time.

He was talking rear axles not front. [emoji13]

Lol, not often we can correct Eddie. I couldn't resist. Lol.

:doh: It's been a long week :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
He has a rubicon so he already has a D44 with the e-locker.
:cheesy: Just saw that and was going to edit my post. Guess I'm too late :crazyeyes:

That being said, with just 35" tires, I would still save my money and just keep wheeling the factory rear 44.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
:cheesy: Just saw that and was going to edit my post. Guess I'm too late :crazyeyes:

That being said, with just 35" tires, I would still save my money and just keep wheeling the factory rear 44.

Yep. Seems like a huge waste of money to me to move to a PR60 for 35's.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
:doh: It's been a long week :crazyeyes:

Lol. No worries. [emoji106] It has definitely been a long week! I'm glad my full time job of running two departments with 10 employees is done for the week so I can go work my part time job as pee on low man on the totem poll. It's nice getting bossed around again at times. Lol.

CJW

Would you guys give the same advice if the OP was running 37s? Just curious as that tire size seems to be the tipping point. Sorry for the hijack....

rogerk93

Would you guys give the same advice if the OP was running 37s? Just curious as that tire size seems to be the tipping point. Sorry for the hijack....

I would like to know the same. I just bought 37's and going to mount them in a few weeks. I already have the evo housing gusset on the rear.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

A PR44 front and the factory 44 rear is good for 37s. Even with 5.13s. Also if you were to add some aftermarket axle shafts with full circle clips up front.

The pr44 up front should be fine. Eventually you may have issues with the rear and a trail 60 would work for the 37s.

Ddays

Hooked
I would like to know the same. I just bought 37's and going to mount them in a few weeks. I already have the evo housing gusset on the rear.

I believe the axle flange is the area that will suffer the most from running 37's. I think it comes down to your driving habits. A 44 will certainly last with them but if you really wheel it hard you could run into some trouble down the road. Run the 44 it till it breaks!

rogerk93

I believe the axle flange is the area that will suffer the most from running 37's. I think it comes down to your driving habits. A 44 will certainly last with them but if you really wheel it hard you could run into some trouble down the road. Run the 44 it till it breaks!

Yea I'm already looking into axle options For the front and rear. I'm going to gusset the c's upfront and the rear has a gusset on the housing I'm going to wheel it till its time to move up.

Stock rear is nice, functions well, but I wanted to add an ARB, since I have one in the front now with my PR44. Since I have a Rubicon, I would also need to change the axle shafts, because ARB doesnt make a 32 spline locker, from what I understand. So 1 thing leads to another. Figured I may just go for the overkilll and get a PR60:thinking:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Everybody talks about the Rear 60 but I wonder how much stronger is the Trail or PR60 running on the weak side of the ring and pininon vs the stock 44 running on the strong side even if it's smaller...

Top Bottom