Steering Upgrade?

Houndy95

So I have been wanting to upgrade my steering in my 98 XJ for some time, just haven't been sold on what to go with. Has anyone done any upgrades? If so what did you choose to go with?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

XJQuinn99

I'm running the 1-ton kit from JCR and so far I've been really happy with it. It's a super beefy kit, and feels great on the road. If I could buy it over again, I would have gone with over the knuckle just for the added clearance. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the tie rod hits my track bar bolt at full lock, wore off the powder coat I had on it. 🙄

Houndy95

I'm running the 1-ton kit from JCR and so far I've been really happy with it. It's a super beefy kit, and feels great on the road. If I could buy it over again, I would have gone with over the knuckle just for the added clearance. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the tie rod hits my track bar bolt at full lock, wore off the powder coat I had on it. 

Thanks for the input. JCR was one of the kits I was looking at. My biggest thing is I want something that will hold up both on and off-road since in proximity to where I live the trails are only a short blacktop ride.

XJQuinn99

The reason I went with JCR and the tie rod ends they use is because I daily drive my jeep, but I do a fair amount of wheeling on the weekends. Mostly trails and some rock but so far they have held up awesome and feel great on the road. Not to mention they are cheap to replace!

Houndy95

The reason I went with JCR and the tie rod ends they use is because I daily drive my jeep, but I do a fair amount of wheeling on the weekends. Mostly trails and some rock but so far they have held up awesome and feel great on the road. Not to mention they are cheap to replace!

Was there any problems you ran into when installing the JCR kit? From what I have read it seems easy if you take your time.

I went with the B Lee Offroad crossover steering. Haven't got it yet but looks good. Plus it has heims not TRE

I have never heard of them before, but I will have to look them up.

XJQuinn99

Was there any problems you ran into when installing the JCR kit? From what I have read it seems easy if you take your time.

I was a dumbass and over reamed my drivers side knuckle. Haha I had to shim it with two washers until I could order a new one and re drill it and re ream it. But that's what I get for doing it in my driveway by myself! It's super easy as long as you take your time and check your depth a lot on the tie rod end.

WJCO

Meme King

I was a dumbass and over reamed my drivers side knuckle. Haha I had to shim it with two washers until I could order a new one and re drill it and re ream it. But that's what I get for doing it in my driveway by myself! It's super easy as long as you take your time and check your depth a lot on the tie rod end.

Lol. I've thought about doing the same thing on my WJ, but am too scared of doing that exact thing. I may still do it, but not a priority right now.

Houndy95

haha yeah that has been the only downside I have seen about the kit. From what I gather if you don't take your time and just rush though it you can make the whole to big. I do like the fact it comes with new tie rods since I have seen kits that its just the shaft and you use the factory ones but to me that seems like a total waste, with only little benefit.

holliewood61

A good cost effective upgrade is to use a tie rod from a v8 zj. Its larger diameter, and made from solid stock where the xj tie rod is rolled and seam welded sheet metal.

XJQuinn99

Lol. I've thought about doing the same thing on my WJ, but am too scared of doing that exact thing. I may still do it, but not a priority right now.

It's totally worth it, and it's really not hard to install. I got rushed because I did it on a work night so once I ran out of day light, the pressure was on to get it to work the next morning. Haha you could take your time doing it on a Saturday easy.

XJQuinn99

haha yeah that has been the only downside I have seen about the kit. From what I gather if you don't take your time and just rush though it you can make the whole to big. I do like the fact it comes with new tie rods since I have seen kits that its just the shaft and you use the factory ones but to me that seems like a total waste, with only little benefit.

Your money is definitely in the TRE's when it's all said and done. Haha If somebody had the resources to tap out a piece of DOM they could easily make their own steering like JCR did. I picked up a new TRE off summit racing when I installed my new knuckle and it was only 30 bucks. It was also a little beefier than the one JCR supplied so that was a plus. Definitely cheap enough to keep a spare for the trail if need be. [emoji106]🏼

WJCO

Meme King
It's totally worth it, and it's really not hard to install. I got rushed because I did it on a work night so once I ran out of day light, the pressure was on to get it to work the next morning. Haha you could take your time doing it on a Saturday easy.

I probably will at some point. I was on a trail last summer and it was slow out there (no other Jeepers). We got in a spot where we were stuck in mud within several rocks and couldn't move forward. With no spotters, I got out to look and the tie rod was up against a rock. We ended up maneuvering and taking a better line, but as I thought about it, I would like it up higher since the flip kits are available. Doesn't move it a whole lot higher, but who knows, may be worth it.

XJQuinn99

I probably will at some point. I was on a trail last summer and it was slow out there (no other Jeepers). We got in a spot where we were stuck in mud within several rocks and couldn't move forward. With no spotters, I got out to look and the tie rod was up against a rock. We ended up maneuvering and taking a better line, but as I thought about it, I would like it up higher since the flip kits are available. Doesn't move it a whole lot higher, but who knows, may be worth it.

Like I said before in the thread, my only regret is not going over the knuckle when I first installed. Haha I don't do a ton of stuff on the rocks, but enough to make having the piece of mind of my tie rod clearing rocks worth it. I also got my kit powder coated to match my springs and the powder coat is already pretty beat up. I think WJ knuckles and flipping the steering over the knuckle will be in the near future.

holliewood61

I used the goferit inserts when I flipped mine, no reamer needed. Drill it out, put the insert in, pop a couple tack welds on it to keep the insert in place next time you disassemble, install the tie rod.

XJQuinn99

I used the goferit inserts when I flipped mine, no reamer needed. Drill it out, put the insert in, pop a couple tack welds on it to keep the insert in place next time you disassemble, install the tie rod.

Would that insert work in a knuckle that was already reamed for a one ton tie rod end under the knuckle?

holliewood61

Depends on what the big end diameter is I imagine. You drill the hole out to 3/4". They have inserts to accept 1 ton tre's as well as standard.

Houndy95

I don't do any rock crawling really, manly because of the terrain in Florida. Mostly just trail riding, that being said I do think the over the knuckle approach sounds like the better way to go. Considering it never hurts to have more clearance.

Top Bottom